Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Betreff: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]
Wish I could say the same, currently considering going for eBay way out and look for a deal on an camera that actually works
Tourist

[ New ]
Me too. I will try my iPod and see how well it works. No remote worked well on my hero 3 or hero 7. It has been a terrible experience for me with the remotes. I've missed sooooo many more good shots than bad ones as it rarely worked anyways. I have a friend who the remote worked on his hero 8 though
Tourist

Re: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

Can i control the GoPro 9 from my Galaxy watch3 on tizen whilst im kitesurfing?

Nomad

[ New ]
Yes you can, I have a samsung gear sport. Just install the gopro shutter app and you can use your watch as a remote. Will cost you 2,71euro
Greets
Tourist

[ New ]

Cheers @foggybeach8632 thats great news, i get my first smart watch in a few days, looking forward to it now :)

Hiker

[ New ]

well, I sent my camera back after 30days, as it is useless without a remote and there seems not to be anything ready soon. To my surprise, they refunded the money quite fast (even for the subscription), but it would still have a better thing to just have a remote ready at launch of hero9... maybe next fall?

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes I can see the advertisements now, Hero 10 now with New SMART Remote Great added functionality!
Tourist

[ New ]
Same. Selling mine now. Back to the Hero 7! Haha
Tourist

[ New ]

Good product, have wonderful features but because of the remote I am going to turn back 8 or 7 :(

Also I cant use my AAMIC-001 microphone adapter..

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm also waiting for the remote control to work with Hero9. Don't want to be yelling to the camera in the middle of a ride to start or stop shooting. Using the app to control is not an option. 

Please release this software upgrade to allow the connection soon!

Cheers

Tourist

[ New ]
Very shocked as the remote did work till the update, still no sign or update for weeks as to when. Still got the 8 but the photos are shocking.
Tourist

[ New ]
That's terrible that they've removed that function from the camera, really underhand 😡
Sightseer

[ New ]
@aragon1006 it really would be nice to have a dedicated remote to my Hero 9. I keep seeing the admins mentioning the GoPro app offers Hero 9 controls but frankly it sucks. By the time both devices are done syncing the moment is over.
Hiker

[ New ]
Yep I would like to use the camera on a Telesin exstendable grip so I can take photos from very high or from Ground level , I tried Friday using voice control with very limited success then tried setting a delta so I could use the shutter button on the camera (press the button then try to extend the grip out and frame a Picture) usually lost the moment Really need a working Remote
Tourist

[ New ]
I agree and add that it needs to be a WIRED REMOTE. The smart remote is very problematic on my Hero 7. Worked maybe 30 percent at best.
Hiker

[ New ]
While a wired remote would be. Fairly guaranteed to work every time in a time when even headphones have all gone wireless that’s not even an option... better to build a Quality wireless remote, I mean a Good Quality remote...I would be willing to pay for something I could count on..
Nomad

[ New ]

not sure if i'm an exception but my wifi remote worked most the time and if it didn't was an easy power cycle to fix (since bying my 2nd hand 7  its worked 100%) .

unlike the app which is a flaw all round and then a phone call comes through so i can't hit stop or start - and I'M NOT YELLING OUT TO MY CAMERA ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAR while i'm on the phone to do the same thing

STUPID excecution, not thought out at all.

Gopro sales pitch ----- Here is our 2021 car release but our keyfob keyless entry/alarm (which was on every other car prior) won't be out till we sell enough cars, it doensn't run as advertised but we'll fix it eventually ..... would you still like to buy one???  

Me ----- no thanks

Tourist

[ New ]
I agree a reliable faster remote is needed. Even my iPod has issues and isn't reliable which makes me think it is a camera hardware/software issue. Wired would solve both
Hiker

[ New ]
Really can’t agree with the wired idea, that’s like saying we need to put a standard old dial on a smartphone cause it’s more reliable ... got to move forward not backward
Nomad

[ New ]

wires are done and dusted - wires have their place but not here; try using a wired remote on the outside of your car or 30m away.

the new remote has to be amazing and a breakthrough, support a few generations back and be  like a smart watch that can tell the time and do other bits while at it. otherwise paying $100 for a wrist brick i'd put that towards a smartwatch with control app if and when it happens. 

Gopro have to whip a rabbit out of a hat to see another $ of mine in the future

Tourist

[ New ]
Don’t worry by the time gopro pull there finger out and do something in Re guards to a remote and a water housing in Australia they will have an all new Gopro X with another new shape and different ideas 🤦🏻‍♂️ Do you think they are even reading these comments or give a **bleep** what there loyal customers, or once were are saying
Hiker

[ New ]

j ai le même problème la telecommande acheté en Avril 89€ est pour l'instant inutilisable ce n'est pas serieux de la part de cette firme de vendre un nouveau produit avec moultes publicités quand l'on a investi dans des accessoires coûteux. j'epère qu'il auront la décence de trouver une solution dans la mise à jour du logiciel  adepte du produit je ne pense pas au vu de la situation en faire la promotion

Nomad

[ New ]

soooooo - a H9 Remote leak hit saying a release is due 17th december?? how true is this?? images show a smart remote as the new new smart remote with exactly the same frame and screen.

please tell us its not the same thing with a tweak as how will you differentiate your 7 remote from the 9?

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/gopro-teases-new-smart-remote-and-hero-9-black-firmware-update-wit...

Hiker

[ New ]

The page has been removed from your link above.  If it was the same report as this page:

GoPro teases new Smart Remote and Hero 9 Black firmware update with app upgrade | TechRadar

Then that is just a library pic of the current remote, because it says as much in the report.

Tourist

[ New ]
Doesn't really help the people also using older cameras. Don't think I'm buying a new camera and remote and tossing my old camera. Nor am I using two remotes.
Hiker

[ New ]
Well I realize it’s a Reach at this point to have any trust in the company, but we would have to assume that the new smart remote would be backward compatible.... of course if it’s not that just confirms how many of us view GoPro
Tourist

[ New ]
I agree, on all accounts, hard to have trust, and you would naturally think the new remote would be backward compatible. However, the old remote did work on the new cameras, but GoPro released a firmware update to the camera and made the old remote stop working. So, obviously, the firmware could be redone to make the old camera work.

I quote, "GoPro has revealed that it'll soon be releasing a new Smart Remote for its current action camera line-up, along with major firmware updates for the GoPro Hero 9 Black, GoPro Hero 8 Black and GoPro Max."

I initially read this and assumed it would not be backward compatible. I do hope I am incorrect. We should know more I'm seven days, when it releases on December 17.
Hiker

[ New ]
Well let’s keep all our fingers and toes Crossed 😎👍
Tourist

[ New ]

Idem, j'utilise principalement la smart remote et elle n'est pas compatible (!?) ni autre solution dispo.....

L'objectif Max Lens, epuisé chez moi et je ne sais pas du tout quand je pourrai en acheter un, autant j'ai été très satisfait de l'achat

de la Hero 3+, autant je suis très déçu (pour l'instant en tout cas) avec la 9 !

Sightseer

[ New ]

hi i have remote first its working  with hero 9  after update not working. i think is if 2.4ghz sofware when you update again it will work 

Tourist

[ New ]

so, how do i return the remote?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Can you make it compatable someday soon?

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

Wow... can only control up to 5 cameras vs 50 with the Smart Remote, lower max depth underwater and reduced range on land! Ummm, thanks GoPro?

P.S. I'm being harsh perhaps but other than improved battery life there don't seem to be much in the way of improvement here.

Tourist

[ New ]

Adding to aggravation the new remote is not backwards compatible. It only works with 8 up which doesn't make any sense because the 8 worked with the old remote. I'd to see GoPro expalin that.

Ken

Tourist

[ New ]

Does the new control work with gopro 7 black? If not, how can it work with gopro 8?

Hiker

[ New ]

also note that "The Remote" it's curerntly only avaible for purchase in the U.S. only and not North-America being stated in many on-line articles (such as The Verge)...

looks like i'll have to wait until as least february, eh :(

Tourist

[ New ]

When will it be available in Europe? And at what price will it be available?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Should be available in Feb in Europe for the same price as the previous remote.

Hiker

[ New ]

Placed my order this morning first thing and just got shipped confirmation with UPS 2day shipping..!

Tourist

[ New ]

Tried getting it shipped to the UK but not able to, shame......

Nomad

[ New ]

nice move - offering a new remote whilst still selling the H7 no new remote support even though it has BTLE...... 

have both 7 and 9 - DO NOT expect me to buy another remote only to use 2; crazy

some bright sparks working there. 

Nomad

[ New ]

as this one doesn't support my 7 and refuse to use 2 remotes; will sit on the sideline for 12-24 months to see what happens as we won't be another early gopro product adopter in the near future again.  I find the sweet spot is buying near new 2nd hand 1 gen old items from early adopters to be the beta testers next time round

suprised to see remote stock still available....... maybe people are once bitten twice shy or they actually made enough product unlike the max lens???? hmmmm

there isn't enough innovation to excite me here just a reskinned button shuffle and switch from wifi to BT. especially knowing that a smart watch has have both BTLE and WiFi its inevitible that an App will be developed sometime soon for a fraction of the cost and may work across many more models while being more reliable (i'd prefer that as it serves many other uses, like A WATCH to tell the time for starters, HR monitor, O levels, plus all the other features of a smart watch with the footage and GPS in the camera). 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hej , igår jeg fik opdateres på min GoPro Hero 9 Black fik remote på i min kamera Hero 9 og jeg forsøg forbindelse med min sidst ny smart remote det lykkes ikke og jeg prøve på hero8 og gopro max det lykkes , men ikke hos GoPro 9  jeg hvade bruge over 3 timer kæmp det lykkes ikke må være fejl opdater , prøve tjekke det ifen opdater . måske skal have hel ny smart remote ???

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes they just released the “The Remote” Thursday it only works with the hers 9 and 8
Tourist

[ New ]
Tyvärr fungerar inte den gamla remoten till 9an... riktigt uselt. Det lanserades en ny modell i USA I veckan och den kommer till Europa i februari som det verkar. Den nya kommer inte att vara bakåtkompatibel....
Tourist

[ New ]
Tyvärr fungerar inte den gamla remoten till 9an... riktigt uselt. Det lanserades en ny modell i USA I veckan och den kommer till Europa i februari som det verkar. Den nya kommer inte att vara bakåtkompatibel
Tourist

[ New ]
Hej!
Skaffa ingen ny Smart Remote. Det kommer en ny typ av fjärrkontroll som tydligen bara fungerar med Hero 8 och 9. Den är inte tillgänglig i Europa än vad jag kan se.
Tourist

[ New ]

cant get it to work with the smart remote, i think there will come a new remote in 2021. 

anyone can get it to work?

I was so happy that the remote release came, not dit not work :-( 

Backpacker

[ New ]

The smart remote does not work with the GoPro Hero 9, it never has and never will.  The GoPro Hero 9 will use a new remote:

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-launches-new-the-remote-