Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

click on this link (home page for the hero 9) and scroll to accessories - expand the more button - guess what the remote appears

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

i'll leave it there and let you decide - the doozie is it only mentions the hero 3 limitations in the description

Hiker

[ New ]

@eski79 wrote:

click on this link (home page for the hero 9) and scroll to accessories - expand the more button - guess what the remote appears

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

i'll leave it there and let you decide - the doozie is it only mentions the hero 3 limitations in the description

Did you select the GoPro Hero9 Filter at the top?

When i tried to  filter by the Hero9, no remotes show?

Wish it did work, but there again, wish the Hero9 worked.

Nomad

[ New ]

its in the link and following content are not clearly defined - unlike 3 limitations. i know when i bought the first goro i didn't scrutenise every item; if it was there i wanted it - the link should direct you to what works and originally at FW1.00 it was there.

Renaming it from a "smart remote" to "the remote" is a balls up and the "not so" genious behind it should be sacked for . T

The word "the" in place of "smart" before remote to separate it from the rest doesn't work sorry. thats an grade 1 language error

Nomad

[ New ]

gopro just make it happen, you know you can but won't.... for some god forsaken reason

this will go down as one of your dumbest rollout ideas down the track...

i.e lets release a new car with no keyfob alarm like ...... ahhh wait.......... but every other car had one before this......lol

Tourist

[ New ]

So if the original Firmware allows you to connect to the Smart Remote, the Hero 9 Web Page shows the Smart Remote under its accessories page and my Smart Remote has worked with my Hero 5, Hero 7 and Hero 8, GoPro and their Ambassador, Oliver, still expects me to read search through the 'Fine Print'. GoPro's solution of using a Smart Phone with the App is not practical in an Action Camera environment. Pathetic......

Tourist

[ New ]
That’s disappointing. I bought my Hero 9 Black from the GoPro store and ordered the remote at the same time. At no stage was I advised that the remote I was ordering was incompatible. Why wouldn’t the system flag that when I ordered? Now I have a remote that I cannot use. Not very happy. Clinton.
Nomad

[ New ]

Przecież na stronie gopro w zakładce z jakimi kamerami działa pilot nie ma wymieninej kamery gopro 9 tylko 8,7,6 ....

Tourist

Re: Betreff: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

So does this mean an update for the remote to work with the GoPro 9 is coming or a new remote all together?

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m sure the official response would be.... Yes
Tourist

[ New ]

That's a sad response GoPro. So when people are using multiple cameras at the same time for their event they can control their 7, 8, and Max from the remote but half to stop and pull out their phone to get the 9 to record.  A bit impractical. 

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m sure the mgt at GoPro is patting themselves on the. Back, this way those that want/need to control more the one camera at a time will be Forced to buy multiple new cameras. , excellent business plan!

Many years ago I had an IBM sales rep telling how brilliant their company’s business plan was , they owned the operating system for the AS400 computer system, so they would write extremely desirable capabilities into the operating system upgrades that would ONLY work with the newest Hardware and their software vendors would write their software to of course use the capabilities of the new operating system.. so the end user companies would be forced to keep buying the Latest hardware which was only available fro IBM... Brilliant... --bleep-- I’m glad I’m retired, really losing my patience with Technology
Nomad

[ New ]

I think as end users we deserve a proper tangible reason for the remotes demise in the H9.

The mic adapter was removed (due to not being supported properly) and now coming back with other shortfall fixes - PLEASE GOPRO MAKE THIS ONE TOO!

This model release has caused such a mixed bag of reactions this will at least be a show of good faith to your loyal customers that we are not forgotten

If you don't have a replacement fix for the wounds inflicted at least give us a bandaid to use for the time being

Hiker

[ New ]
I second the request for the bandaid 😎👍🏻
Nomad

[ New ]

I think i'm going to call GoPro's Bluff here: "not supported" with "no technical backing"

with no real answers i'm going to find the root of the problem

As an IT/AV professional i thought that "maybe" the remote was working on 802.11b (old school low bandwidth high range wifi - which many new devices today ignore for higher bandwitdth passthrough - remote won't need this) and my research lead me to this test - bluetooth wouldn't give 100m at best using at a class A 100mW transmitter in perfect conditions - so it has to be WiFi with a claimed 180m range - class b wifi?? "see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11 

Remote specs: https://gopro.com/en/au/shop/mounts-accessories/smart-remote/ARMTE-002.html 

So i set up our UniFi wifi ap as a "Legacy" 802.11b wifi network to see if the camera would find it and auto upload to it (using my phone to register the auto upload feature).......... Guess what! it did....... technically i see no reason for the remote not to work

lets all keep this thread alive and in their face to fix as i sincerely beleive this is their choice not a hardware limitation

if they are going to call it "the" remote it must be "the" remote forever with that title you won't be able to change that down the track - dictionary meaning of "the" https://www.dictionary.com/browse/the?s=t

Nomad

[ New ]

bump to keep this post alive. see my other one where i managed to get it to pair with the H9 even for a short time where the cloud didn't report back to the camera

Gopro can make this work but they don't want to for a $ grab

Nomad

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]
How did you get it to work?
Nomad

[ New ]

i'll do a video tomorrow if time permits, it only works for a minute or so till the "cloud" error comes through. but its a proof of concept that Gopro are pulling the wool over our eyes "not compatilbe" my arse! its much lower bandwidth to a phone app. we need to put this in their face and say make it happen as it can

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro? Any Comment on that "incompatiblity"?

Looks like no technical obsticles - just a "incompatiblity strategy"

Nomad

[ New ]

it does after all have the same GP1 chipset as the Hero 8 using their own website comparison chart.

its clear as day the connectivity is there the REAL reason is yet to be disclosed - and a big one finger salute to the person in charge of the decision with no course of action after it......... SHAME on you 

Hiker

[ New ]

The HERO9 has stopped using WiFi for command and status retrieval, all done over BLE, see my other post in this thread. Guess what the Smart Remote uses...

Tourist

[ New ]

If only BLE will be used that means it wont be able to operate multiple cams at once like Smart Remote did (or am i wrong?)

Nomad

[ New ]

try your phone with bluetooth only - you'll be lucky to walk outside the house. I've used BLE headsets and lucky to get 10-30m - its not a bluetooth strength

i honestly don't care what they do i'm so over the brand now and can't express the buyers remorse experienced with the h9 but i sold the 8 before launch so it covered the cost.

the Hero 9 has had 2 outings in 1.5 months and sits as a shelf queen as thats all its good for (lost the king title now), vs my 7 which is every 2nd weekend because it just works as intended and fits the purpose

Tourist

[ New ]

Apart form the fact that the remote doesn't work, the thing I find most disappointing is that I cannot contact GoPro.

I don't know about anybody else but ever since I discovered that the Remote won't work, I've been to their page and used every possible "Contact Us" option and none of them work.  I even tried 3 different browsers in case that was the issue.

The response I got to "Start a Chat" was a COVID-19 explanation for lack of personnel and all operators were busy.  It's like that all the time.

I then tried Request a call, but it keeps reporting the Captcha system failed or something like that.  Basically, there's no way to communicate with GoPro.  I just want to speak to someone about my issue!

So, I left a message on Feedback, twice and have had no reply there either, even though I got a message that informed me that they would get back to me asap.

It's exasperating not to be heard so my next step is, in Australia where I am, Fair Trading, a government department where you register complaints.  I don't want to do this but what choice do I have?

Has anybody else experienced this?

Cheers,

CH

Nomad

[ New ]

yep a company of their size without a direct contact number or email is so archaic. i'd put my 2c forth if you started a case

i dare say with all the issues found here their inbox would be full and phone number wouldn't stop ringing

Tourist

[ New ]

Dang!  I wish I knew that before I upgraded from the Hero 8.  Any ETA on firmware to make compatible?  Thank you.

GoPro

[ New ]

@clintonh12, sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting with our Support Team. When contacting them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, if you haven't yet, try again after clearing cache and cookies or using a different browser. You may also explore using an incognito browser to see if it makes a difference. Also, please manually enter the details on the form; do not copy-paste the info.

Once on the page, fill out the form and you will be given an option to initiate a chat conversation or to request a callback. Be sure to put in your best contact number on the form.

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that your browser isn't blocking cookies and the pop-up blocker should be disabled. If you run across issues, there are some suggestions provided by a Hub member in this thread that might help.

Hiker

[ New ]

I read through the previous pages to make sure I wasn't repeating an existing request and I can't see it, so here goes: GoPro, please ensure that the new remote for the Hero 9 is backwards compatible with previous Hero models.  Nobody wants to be operating multiple remotes.

Hiker

[ New ]

yes please gopro, new remote with the works supporting at least the 5s in our books or make the existing remote work. if you don't have a replacement don't take a core feature away - its for your own sake. i have 5s and 8s i want to use with the 9 (will be a return to sender soon unless an annoucement comes out)

if i have to start again then its free game to your competitors - seriously who made that decision to drop the remotes support without a replacement? its like going to a fish and chips shop and them saying sorry we have no chips to go with the fish - i'd just walk away

we either all stay hero 8 and before, upgrade everything to 9 and above if your lucky to keep us customers when / if a remote arrives or we switch never to be seen again - we have nothing to loose now starting again. time is ticking and we're due for a capital investments to claim on tax in this department.

shocking business decision as others have mentioned

Nomad

[ New ]

come on gopro listen to the end users - this is one of the largest threads in your forum!............. yet you agree to fix other issues smaller than this

Give some value back to your existing customer base that made you who you are today and make this happen. There a youtube videos popping up showing it can work on 2.4 and 5ghz wifi frequencies after my little hack find so the fundamentals are there - set the limitations of its use but let us use our accessories..PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! i bought a 7 yesterday in disgust leaving my 9 on the shelf only to be able to video a 4wd trip in 2 weeks mounted on the outside of the car - where NO i won't use voice commands and look like a twit yelling out and my phone is a phone not a remote

You can't make any extra $ without a new remote so don't punish us for having your old ones - you'll probably get more returns otherwise too.

for those new to your brand with a Hero 9 they don't know any different and suffer the loss of a once useful remote. 

P.S. i like the new name the other guy gave the gopro Hobo 9 - might just stick

Tourist

[ New ]

So who has alternatives to GoPro? I'm in the market.

I was about to buy a 9 to go with my other GoPros, but if I cannot use the same remote I will change cameras completely and start over. I won't use two remotes. There is no tech reason I can fathom as to why the old remote won't work with the new camera, especially since I heard that originally it did work, then they updated the camera software and turned it off. No thanks. I record for hours, using external batteries. I don't want to have to use my phone, on another battery to control all cameras. One remote, multiple cameras, that is how you sold this.

Hiker

[ New ]
Well to match the Quality of the GoPro the only one I’m aware of that has a remote is the insta360 , but I’m considering buying a hero 7 or 8 to use until a remote is available for the hero 9
Tourist

[ New ]
This fail on GoPro may be enough for me to pass on them and buy elsewhere, on principal. Trying to give them time to explain why they turned off the functionality, but next season is starting soon and if I'm upgrading it will happen before January.
Hiker

[ New ]
Well I need the remote capability now so I’ll be picking up a used hero 7 or 8, but I’ll be keeping my eye out for the new OSMO Action to see if they offer remote capability on it..
Nomad

[ New ]

bump to keep this thread fresh and in managements view. 

Gopro fix it as you know you can or give us a new ETA with a buyback scheme for your "current" selling remotes the don't work.

i want to buy another 9 after selling my NEW bug ridden one for a small profit since your retailers sell it for more - so give me a reason too  - quite happy sitting on my $200 hero 7 now till you or another brand steps up and gives  us what we need.

Tourist

[ New ]
This is beginning to remind me of Apple. Apple isn't sending bricks with their phones anymore. No worries, I have plenty you say. Wait, these bricks no longer work. No, I don't have an iPhone, for this reason and many more.
Hiker

[ New ]
Week number #. Hey GoPro any News , when are we going to get a remote for the Hero 9

And since it can’t do as much as it’s predecessors is it really still a Hero?
Sightseer

[ New ]
Is there an ETA on the remote for the hero 9 yet?
Nomad

[ New ]

can we please get an just a pie in the sky idication of time? is it in the paper drawing phase or is it undergoing actual testing for manufacturing.

Surely there is an expected time you are aiming for to please investors as you do with the cameras?

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m beginning to think the NEW remote for the Hero 9 is pure Vaporware, I’m still thinking the Big feature of the Hero 10 will be that it comes WITH a remote 😎👍 big Feature and we should be happy to get it...
Nomad

[ New ]

Once bitten twice shy. my early gopro adoption is long gone - would need to be something special and groundbreaking to win my confidence back at launch.

So you pay a premium and get bugs and unacceptable issues, no accessories in stock to buy/use, subscription ticking along with no use, warranty ticking away with no camera use (bought a 2nd hand 7 that sees 50x more outings). the current bigger bunlde has more for the same price - not sure what there is to be warm and fuzzy over with this release; would be worth anyone sitting on the sideline for now - my 2c worth

Hiker

[ New ]
Just sucks that we bought a New camera that had a feature that many wanted in the Front screen, who would have thought they would take away a feature they’ve had on generations of the product
Sightseer

[ New ]

IT is very bad to hear that existing remote of Hero 7 is not compatible with Hero 9. What a waste of electronic junk. By making remote compatible, you would have saved lots to environment and pocket. I bought remote with Hero 7 and feeling cheated by GoPro.

Nomad

[ New ]

totally agree, heck i'd pay a small fee (even though it should not be the case) to upgrade the remote/camera firmware to make it work with limitations as the camera is peaking doing what it does - i.e. limited to Hero 7/8s features

its of absolutely no use if i can't sync my old cameras with my new - the hero 9 had spent 99.9999% of its life on my desk and reminded me of a really bad purchase desision and resentment to the brand that was a great innovator; and now a pawn of investors that have no idea/interest in what they make -  glad its gone/don't miss it - one step forward and 5 steps back. talked a few mates out of it already.

its only empasised by the fact no one knew this limitation till after purchase and scouring these forums - no review mentioned this in english  - smoke and mirrors

Nomad

[ New ]

bump

Tourist

[ New ]

I can't believe this. No smart remote option in the camera software which means it was purposely removed. It has been there for many many generations of gopros.

My only use case for this camera is with the smart remote.

Since gopro didn't notify of us with this, I hope they do full refunds of equipment and subscriptions till they fix it or tell us they won't support it

Sightseer

[ New ]
+1 to claim about this compatibility. This is not acceptable for long time users that bought several versions. I was wondering if if will buy the 9 version and the answer is NO !
Nomad

[ New ]

so what happens if they don't sell enough H9s? or so many get returned that they can't justify developing a remote?

talking about knee capping a product for no reason when its shown that there is comms between the 2 right now and recommended for extending battery life in the manual

Hiker

[ New ]

same here ..works fine with my Hero 8     ...but Hero 9   ..... HOPELESS  ..... CANT USE

@pankajkumars さんは書きました:

IT is very bad to hear that existing remote of Hero 7 is not compatible with Hero 9. What a waste of electronic junk. By making remote compatible, you would have saved lots to environment and pocket. I bought remote with Hero 7 and feeling cheated by GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

Glad I found this thread before ordering the 9. Useless without a working remote. No order from me this season.