Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

It seems like the reviewers were not allowed to mention the remote issue, probably part of early access agreement.

I am of the same opinion, I use my remote all the time.  I would not have bought a new smart remote a couple months ago, nor the Hero9 until they had a remote.   I hope they resolve this quickly, or they may be getting a return. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Personally I dont think it is so hard to make H9 compatible wtih the old smart remote.  I think most of the H9 buyers will be satisfied if they can have free redemption on the new remote or at least have certain discount rate for the old smart remote user to get the newly launched remote.

Tourist

Re: Betreff: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

Espero lo arreglen con una actualizacion ,por que de habelo sabido que no funciona con la hero 9 ,no la hubiese comprado.

Me parece un error ENORME ,no haber hecho de primera hora ,que la hero 9 sea compatible ,ya que ,aparte del dineral que cuesta ,el remoto es una de las cosas que mas uso ,ya que los sitios donde coloco la cam en la bike (en el eje pasante de la rueda delantera ,con un adaptador ) ,es imposible usar los comandos de voz.

En fin ,esperaremos a que actualizen y lo arreglen

Sightseer

[ New ]

One of the reasons I upgraded to GoPRO9 is because I thought it is compatible with the smart remote and the shop keeper told me that it is compatible. I also see the option to connect to the smart remote but I just connect to GOPRO app first and the APP triggers a firmware upgrade to my GOPro9. The option is gone forever. I reset everything trying to connect to the remote but all in vain. Wasting a whole day and can only find it here that it is not going to work with the smart remote. This is really not good. Hope the future firmware update will fix this. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Yep.... super disappointing to discover that the smart remote is not compatible with hero 9. I use it 100% of the time since I record with 3 hero 9 cameras on a kayak. Two of the cameras are very hard to reach. C'mon GoPro. You're killing me.... get the new remote released already. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Tourist

[ New ]

Seriously GOPRO! What are you guys doing over there and please dont blame this on covid... 

I also just tried connecting my Hero 9 with the remote that has worked on all my previously purchased models. Im starting to think this upgrade was a bad idea. The Hero 8 wasnt great with its non replacable lens but you fixed that issue only to find youve dropped the ball once again. Not a happy customer. 

While im having a rant, please change the picture on your dual battery charger that doesnt come with two batteries as pictured. Cheers, rant over for now...

Tourist

[ New ]

simple solution. Dont bring out a product thats not ready for market! I hate testing your equipment and paying for the privaglige SMH

Tourist

[ New ]

This is extremely dissapointing, first from GoPro saying that is not compatible when it clearly was before the update, then saying is solved by not solving it at all and third comminting fraud from advertising in the instructions that it should be used to avoid over heating!

Guys! Its my first GoPro and got it together with the remote because I need a remote for my especific recording.

I'll give it a few days to come up with an update or I'll return both. 

This is very bad reputation, come on GoPro!

Nomad

[ New ]

crap only sold my 8 yesterday to buy a 9. if i knew my remote won't work that would have changed my purchase decision. hope they add it in soon to sync multiple cameras - 

Nomad

[ New ]
gopro needs to reacquaint the left hand to the right hand. whoever is developing new products forgets about the years of heritage and products before their time that people have accumilated only to upgrade. doing this S&#t and starting again makes me want to switch to another brand. Buying a hero 9 is no different to waiting for a OSMO v2 as both need new gear bar the mounts
Tourist

[ New ]

Totally agree. Very little concideration for loyal customers these days unfortunately.

Tourist

[ New ]

Send your camera back.  That's what I did.

bruce

Hiker

[ New ]
I have also been dealing with another issue, Battery Drain ..if I left the camera off the charger for 10-12 hrs it would be dead.. I solved that by shutting off voice control.
I can now leave the camera off the charger for at least 24 hours without loosing much charge (just a few percent) before this it would completely drain in 10-12 hrs of non use.. .. I did not turn off GPS or WiFi ... that does leave me with the problem that I was going to try to use Voice control as Remote control since we have no support fir the Smart remote at this time..
Tourist

[ New ]

It would not be fair not to support the remote with the GoPro 9. If you had been more specific about it I wouldn't have bought the 9 :(

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem. According to the user's manual the camera should stop listening for voice commands 1 hour after it's turned off. It doesn't look like it is.

Tourist

[ New ]
In so many ways this camera is NOT living up to the expectations . No accessories are available . It doesn’t work with a smart remote and you can’t access settings if and when you guys bring out a water housing into Australia . And by the time everything will be available you will have a new camera design with an all new shape to annoy us once again .
Hiker

[ New ]

Please conside add smart remote suppert in next firmware upate . PLEASE!

Nomad

[ New ]
Hey gopro, please make the smart remote compatible with hero 9. I have 3 of them. You say that we need to use our phone for remote control, but that is very difficult for watersports, I use it for kitesurfing. A new remote can be fine but please let the old remote still be compatible. Already have a remo remote that is even not compatible anymore with hero 8. Do not forget, a lot of people line me on tbis forum spend a lot of money on your stuff so pleawe a little bit of respect would be fine
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

A remote for the HERO9 Black is in development. There's more info on this and other elements we're working on here. Thanks.

Hiker

[ New ]
Appreciate the info, but is there any projections on when the remote available... Myself like others purchased the Hero 9 specifically because of the availability of the Smart remote, has I known there wouldn’t be one immediately available I would not have purchased until it was.. I’m a retired IT Manager and during my career I made a practice of never purchasing Vaporware (promised Technology)
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

No timeline is available for that item yet. Sorry.

Nomad

[ New ]

@jefft We do not need a new remote. I already have 3 of them and one remo remote! This last one does not work anymore with hero 8.

If you bringout  a new remote with more functionality that is great but man, keep the current remote compatible to.

And if you do not have a timeline for that, just add it the current remote now with a firmware update.

Most of us spend a lot of money on these cameras and sometimes it is nice to reuse older accessoires.

( bought the media mod for my 8, but not compatible with the 9, because other dimensions for example)

Just sold my hero 6 for the 9 and was planning to sell my 7 for a second 9, but will keep my 7 and skip a second 9.

For me the hero 9 is the most unusefull camera now for me because I need the remote for my watersports and a phone is not an option then.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is perhaps one of the worst customer expereinces I have ever had with a new product launch. 

I don't know if you had issues in development, covid, supply chain issues, but whoever thought launching an action cam, that previously had remote support, with out a funcitoning remote, should be fired.    Telling your customers to use a $1000 smartphone instead of a $60 remote in hazardous conditions is the most short sighted and condescending responses I have ever received from a company.  Try controlling multi cameras w/ a phone with your apps wonderful syncing up issue to each cam.

I have been with GoPro since Hero4, but I am very close to returning my H9 and looking at alternatives to this product line as I can't be certain any future remote is actually coming.  The H8 mods took months and months to launch. IMO, the H9 without a remote is completely useless.  Sorry GoPro, you really messed this prodcut launch up.

I know, my fault for buying as an early adopter, but when I reviewed the manual, and it listed features, including the remote, I purchased, foolishly beleiving the documentation. 

No Labs support, no QR support, no solution for windnoise (so we have to wrap our cams in foam, or deadcats), now you have no remote support, and can't even tell us if the H9 remote will support the old cams, range, multi cam, etc. 

Nomad

[ New ]

The pilot is like highways in Poland. It is not known when they will arise :-)

Hiker

[ New ]
Plus it’s a feature/option that’s been available for quite some time on previous generations of the Product!
Hiker

[ New ]

Exactly.  Like a smart phone company releasing a new product, only to tell you that there is no touch screen support, but we will release that soon in a firmware release sometime in the future.   Until then, you can use your computer keyboard, or voice commands to control your smartphone. 

Nomad

[ New ]
if you don't have a replacement tell people about the limitations of buying a new one at launch.
Hiker

[ New ]
Heres the Brand New 2020 Hero 9. That won’t work if your planning on using a remote.. like. With three mounted on a car , or one on your surfboard or on a tether attached to your powered parachute, etc, etc, OOPS 🙊
Tourist

[ New ]

I would say: Here is the brand new Hero9 that thasnt work with your smart remote, Hero8 Mod and any other previous batteries and charger that you might gather for years and spent lots of $. Of course You can always buy a new - but wait there is no new smart remote - oh dont be a child, use Your smartphone!

And one more thing dear user "We dont give a **bleep** do U like it" 

Hiker

[ New ]
But don’t forget, they did say their working on it! And really it didn’t take long at all for the display mod for the Hero 8 did it?
Nomad

[ New ]

hope its not like the media mod..... new remote released when the 10 arrives...

EXTREMELY Poor product roadmap planning IMHO.

For those that might want to know my 9 arrived today with factory firmware and remote option visible, installed the 7.0.0 gopro Android app apk thinking i could use the remote but it came up saying the camera needs an update before pairing a remote so there is no way of getting the 1st/2nd gen remotes to work..... spewing ----- absolutely gutted; lost my favourite feature (i'm not using my phone which is worth double the camera as a remote --- sorry!).

I'd like to nominate the product development manager for an EPIC FAIL award and they should get a don't come back monday certificate.

Going to use it for a week or 2 / compare to my other cams then decide if to return it or not as in.

Tourist

[ New ]

Guys, do you smell that?  Smells like BS to me. 

"Hey guys, lets make a new remote" 
"Great idea, will it launch with the Hero 9?"
"No, of course not, we'll launch it like the Hero 8 mods, slowly and maybe never"
"Will the old remote still be compatible?"
"It could be with a firmware update, but no, we want to force them to buy the new one"
"Won't they be mad that there will be no remote support until the new one comes out?"
"They've got our mediocre phone app, it's fine"
"Are we going to update the app to let you control multiple cameras at once?"
"Let's not get carried away"

Nomad

[ New ]

i'd lie to know the "REAL" reason they stopped supporting the remote. the 9 uses the GP chip just like the 8 and 7 which worked fine....

saying its just no longer supported doesn't work for me.

if there are limitations i.e. you can use the remote when using 1080p - 4k but not 5k as the CPU is peaking and you'll melt the machine i'm totally fine with that

Hiker

[ New ]

And By the Way the Release Notes for the Update that Loaded Immediatly after the first time You attached to the App Didnt mention anywhere about removing support for the Smart Remote ,, Which it did do... 

NEW Latest release:
HERO9 Black update v1.21 | September 16, 2020

HERO9 Black v1.21

NEW FEATURES

• Introduces In-Camera Horizon Leveling through a new digital lens called “Linear + Horizon Leveling”
  • Provides support for Max Lens Mod
  • Provides support for Media Mod with audio metering
  • Provides support for Display Mod
  • Introduces Webcam mode
  • Introduces HindSight
  • Introduces Scheduled Capture

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

• Improves image quality tuning

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

• General bug fixes and user interface improvements
  • Adds more screen saver options for the front and rear screen savers

I Guess Maybe it was a  "user interface improvement"

Hiker

[ New ]

I can't believe what you are doing to your loyal customers...

I sold my GoPro 8 to be able to buy the 9, thinking that the remote control would work with it. I bought the smart remote only a few months ago, and didn't sell it because I thought I could keep using it with my new camera, and now I have an expensive accessory that is completely useless!

I hope you guys are working on fixing it, please make the smart remote compatible with hero 9!

Tourist

[ New ]

Disgusting on the part of GoPro........Make the friggin thing work.  Quit ripping us off!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

You know they say in space no one can hear you Scream.... beginning to feel like that in here... sad really , we’ve all paid for this abuse.

Nomad

[ New ]

A frivolous company. She should be giving away these remotes for free now :-)

Hiker

[ New ]

Like many people here I'm also stunned that the old remotes that were just working and do the job well with the previous GoPro models couldn't be used with my new GoPro 9 !

Just make it back, like on the GoPro Max that I also own which got the support of the ARMTE-001/ARMTE-002 remotes in the latest firmware !

Tourist

[ New ]
Why do they keep kneecapping each hero with a fatal flaw lately? I skipped the 8 because you couldn't replace the lens cover and I would have skipped this if I had known about the remote. I have two useless remotes now.
Sightseer

[ New ]
Same here
Tourist

[ New ]
Can someone from GoPro reply to this thread please, we are you loyal customers and need a response.
Tourist

[ New ]
This camera starts becoming a bad joke. I want to monitor the video being recorded from the app like I used to do with the old GoPros. Not possible. I want to use my remote. Not possible. That's basically what I discovered on day one using this camera. What's next? Buying this camera starts like feeling a mistake
Hiker

[ New ]
Again another member of our not very exclusive, very sad Club...
Tourist

[ New ]

Does the new remote for the Gopro Hero 9 will be able to control the older version of Gopro Cameras 6,7 and 8?

Nomad

[ New ]

WOW is all i can say for the below research - should have done this before buying.

Shame on my for not researching first and shame on gopro for not advising customers with a history of reusing previous accessories with new cameras. the below i find nothing less than shocking

will the "New" new remote work with the H8 and prior???? i'd highly doubt it if they are saying the old doesn't work with the new.

they are killing us making us start fresh completely and the outlay is that of a proper camera if added up - these are high price tagged accessories with a 1year lifespan .......????  if the 10 is like the below compatibility 8-9 wise then god knows if they will be around for the 11 - I WON'T.

Hero 9 compatibility with Hero 8 accessores (taken from GoPro's website)

8's Media mod - not compatible,

8's remote and new remote - not compatible, no ETA on the NEW new remote

8's dive case - not compatible

8's polar pro lens filters - not compatilbe

8's batteries - not compatilbe

8's external dual charger - not compatible

8's Floaty - NOT COMPATIBLE

8's Rollcage - NOT COMPATIBLE

8's dive master filter kit - NOT COMPATIBLE

8's Tempered lens protector - bought 2 sets for my 8 (1 spare) - NOT COMPATIBLE - well the lens cover fits well enought

8's Silicone protective sleeve - you guessed it - NOT COMPATIBLE

WOW! i'm lost for words - the mounts are the only thing left and work on every other brand are.............ARGHHHHHH! why did i  buy the 9

Seriously if my accessories now have a 1year life cycle i won't buy them add it all up and you have a kickass camera - our canon 60D is 8+ years old and still supported with standard canon /aftermarket accessories.

WAKE UP GOPRO!

Hiker

[ New ]

I can tell i certainly won’t be purchasing for the first month or so in the future I assumed incorrectly that since this was the ninth series it was from a mature company that I could trust... GoPro is acting like some startup tech company selling vapor ware

Nomad

[ New ]

Gopro has become a box moving business rather than one refinining and perfecting what they have.  Its all about share holders making a $ over passion now.......

it's a shame to see a pioneer become a box mover with a petty 12month shelf life with everything unique to the HERO 8 now dead for the 9 - a business model with short term gain and long term pain that just doesn't work. 

Hiker

Betreff: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

User experience with gopro.com: Really bad! Trying to get help on the chat: not possible. It says "waiting time aprrox. 2min" but after clicking, it tells me "Chat is currently unavailable for you"... hm, is that how support is supposed to work? So how can we return a product without support?

Still pissed about the lack of support of all older remotes and no ETA for a new remote. So the hreo9 is useless for myself and intedended use. Thinking about sending it back within the 30-days. Does anybody know how and if refunds for the subscripton package works?? How long do refunds normally take?

Anybody with an ETA for the NEW$ Remote?

Hiker

Betreff: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]
Hello. Anybody with an ETA for the NEW$ Remote?