Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]
Would love to see how you controle it from your phone in the skydive :-)
Hiker

[ New ]
Exactly!!!
Hiker

[ New ]
This is friggin unbelievable, as soon as the Hero 9 was shipping I ordered one and put my Hero session 4 and OSMO action both up for sale they both sold quickly and before my Hero 9 even arrived I started reading about no support for the smart remote..the ONLY reason I dumped the OSMO Action was that they had no wireless remote and didn’t appear to have any plans for one... I had researched the Hero line and read about the telesis T02 , I had even ordered one which I’ve now canceled... I thought GoPro was the industry leader in action cam’s .. I guess it’s just another USA company selling Chinese Crap
Hiker

[ New ]
Disappointed that smart remote can't work with hero 9. I think i am not going to restart all the new accessory inventory just for Hero 9. Will wait for Osmo Action V2
Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah, I cancelled my order for batteries, Charger and a few other options to see who wins the Race to remotes. Osmo Action 2 or hero 9
Nomad

[ New ]

If the remote control on the Hero9 works as "reliably" as it does on the Hero8 or Hero7, it is better not to buy it ...
That's why I only control my cell phone when really necessary - that works well!

But why do you switch e.g. when parachuting, the camera doesn't just turn on before you jump? What do you want to control remotely during the jump?

Tourist

[ New ]

Thats just one intended use, and i think there are probably a lot of use cases where you would not need a remote. And i think you are right: When jumping off a plane you start the cam and stop it when you are landed - easy!

But often those cams are mounted to places where you cannot reach them, and where the battery would be used before you even are at the location where you want to start filming. And a cellular phone is often not an option!

This handy smart remote is really one of the main features for many use cases GoPro formerly set themself apart from other brands. And it did work before, the reason why they cut it off seems to be, that they just want people to buy a new one (and that is about 80EUR).

Nomad

[ New ]

There are far cheaper remote controls on the accessory market from 3rd party suppliers that, in contrast to the remote control from GoPro, also work really reliably (at least with the Hero 7 and Hero 8 - according to various reports). With the Hero 9 you should perhaps wait until a firmware update comes, with which the remote control works according to GoPro and then better buy one from a third provider ;)

By the way, my "remote control" next to my cell phone is my wife - works great!