Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
%3CLINGO-SUB%20id%3D%22lingo-sub-319292%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3EDoes%20Not%20Power%20Down%3C%2FLINGO-SUB%3E%3CLINGO-BODY%20id%3D%22lingo-body-319292%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CP%3Ehello%20everyone.%20Aloha%20from%20Hawaii.%20Newbie%20here.%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3EHero4%20Silver%20does%20not%20power%20down%20as%20per%20instructions.%20I%20hold%20both%20top%20and%20front%20buttons%20for%203%20seconds%2C%20camera%20goes%20into%20record%20mode.%20Been%20at%20it%20for%202%20hrs.%20same%20results.%20Any%20help%20will%20be%20appreciated.%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3E%26nbsp%3B%3C%2FP%3E%3CP%3Ethanks%20much.%3C%2FP%3E%3C%2FLINGO-BODY%3E%3CLINGO-LABS%20id%3D%22lingo-labs-319292%22%20slang%3D%22en-US%22%3E%3CLINGO-LABEL%3EHERO4%20Silver%3C%2FLINGO-LABEL%3E%3C%2FLINGO-LABS%3E
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Does Not Power Down

hello everyone. Aloha from Hawaii. Newbie here.

Hero4 Silver does not power down as per instructions. I hold both top and front buttons for 3 seconds, camera goes into record mode. Been at it for 2 hrs. same results. Any help will be appreciated.

thanks much.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Does Not Power Down

Hi @lyman808,

You will have to use the Mode (front) button to power the camera on / off. The Shutter (top) button is used for recording. 

What instructions are you referring to? Are you trying to do something in the camera as part of a troubleshooting (e.g. reset Wi-FI, reset settings, etc.)?

Kind Regards,

Ann

View solution in original post

Tourist

Ann I may have found the culprit, the micro card. Camera does power off as normal with "No SD". I do get the 7 beeps. With card is the malfunction. Let me reformat the card and reinstall firmware. btw , is card formatted FAT32?

GoPro

You're awesome, @lyman808. I'm glad your camera is now up and running. Thanks for the feedback, we'll take a look into that.

Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @lyman808,

You will have to use the Mode (front) button to power the camera on / off. The Shutter (top) button is used for recording. 

What instructions are you referring to? Are you trying to do something in the camera as part of a troubleshooting (e.g. reset Wi-FI, reset settings, etc.)?

Kind Regards,

Ann

Tourist

Aloha Ann - thank you for your response. Instructions comes from GoPro Hero4 Silver Manual:

To Power Off:
Press and hold the Power/Mode button [ ] for two seconds. The
camera status lights (red) flash several times and the sound indicator
emits seven beeps.

I do not get those 7 beeps. Ann, should I reinstall firmware update?

GoPro

Thanks for the update, @lyman808. I do have a few more follow up questions in order to get a better understanding on the situation:

• Are you saying that the camera won't beep at all?
  • Does the camera powers off when you press and hold the MODE (front) button?
  • Does the red light flashes several times as well when powering the camera on/off?
  • What exactly happens if you press and hold the MODE (front) button?

Ann

Tourist

Ann I may have found the culprit, the micro card. Camera does power off as normal with "No SD". I do get the 7 beeps. With card is the malfunction. Let me reformat the card and reinstall firmware. btw , is card formatted FAT32?

Tourist

hey good news, Camera does power down by holding "mode" button only. Got the 7 beeps. Power On is top and front buttons. Power Off is front only. Instruction Manual is wrong. GroPro Tech support, please make correction.

Ann  this newbie truly appreciates your help. Thank you, take care

GoPro

You're awesome, @lyman808. I'm glad your camera is now up and running. Thanks for the feedback, we'll take a look into that.

Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!