Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Does Media Mod cause overexposure issue?

[ New ]

I think removing my Media Mod may have fixed this.  I wont know until I go fishing again.  The screen grab below was with the following settings:

4k 30fps, Wide, HyperSmooth On, HindSight On, No zoom, Bit Rate High, Shutter Auto, EV COMP -2.0, White Balance Auto, ISO Min 100, ISO Max 1600, Sharpenss Medium, Color, GoPro, the sun was low in the sky to the right'ish, the video was modified a little in iMovie, original is much worse (I already deleted the raw clips)

I would think with EV COMP being -2.0 it would be underexposed badly instead of overexposed.  The EV COMP was actually an accidental setting.  I use it to stop the glow/overexposure my night filming lights cause.  Daytime filming I keep it at 0.5 when I remember to change it.  Please tell me if I am wrong.  I need to re-test this with the Media Mod not on the camera as I think it may have fixed it (while testing another issue).

over.jpg

Backpacker

Re: Does Media Mod cause overexposure issue?

[ New ]

The media mod is simply a way to output video signal and input external audio.  That's it, it should have no affect on the camera capture settings.

However setting an ISO at 1600 Max on a bright and sunny day can cause over exposure, especially if the scene features darker area's and you're using an EV Comp of -2.0.  I'd set your EV comp to -.5 and bring your ISO down to 400 Max.

Hiker

[ New ]

With ISO on auto shouldn't it have went down to the 100 minimum?

Backpacker

[ New ]

The GoPro looks at the whole image, not just the lightest, brightest or darkest area's.  As a result the automatic iso adjustments may not work the way you want or need.  Hence the reason so set your ISO limits manually.  I mean, ISO 1600 is something you'd use for twilight or night shooting, so why would you even want such a high ISO level during the day anyway?   So best to narrow the range.

Hiker

[ New ]

The picture was twilight with the sun still up.  I am still getting some glow after removing media mod and adjusting my light (moving it back).  This overexposure issue is new.  I wasn't getting it when I first got it or with the Hero 8.  Same settings.

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 11.57.08 PM.png

Hiker

[ New ]

I just looked at some of my Hero 8 videos that was using the same settings as the 9.  Crystal clear image with no "shine" unless I got REALLY close to camera. 

Picture is the worst glare of the Hero 8 I could find:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 12.26.53 AM.png

Hero 9 with same settings and lighting:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 12.28.40 AM.png

Hopefully I am still within a return window of my Hero 9...

Hiker

[ New ]
The media mod doesn’t cause any issues, but it does look like either your sensor, or lens has a “smudge” on it.
Hiker

[ New ]

That may be true.  The lens looks good and has never been taken off.