Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Does GoPro 7 Black default to external mic?

[ New ]

I've just bought a GoPro Hero 7 Black, I've also bought an external mic that has a 3.5mm jack, and a USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapter so I can connect it to the GoPro.

My question is: When I plug the external mic in to the GoPro, does this automatically become the default mic that will record audio on my videos, or do I have to change the settings somewhere to switch to it?

I can't find a setting anywhere to do this, which suggests its automatic, but some tests I've done are suggesting to me it's likely using the internal mic!

The USB-C to 3.5mm adapter is not the official GoPro model, is this the issue?

Thanks for any answers anyone has to this

Tourist

Re: Does GoPro 7 Black default to external mic?

[ New ]

To clarify in case relevant: The external mic is a Saramonic SR-XM1

Adventurer

[ New ]

In the Gopro all you need to to is Look?   Press & swipe Down, press prefrence, scroll to Audio imput/output, the plugging of the Promic changes the N/A to 4 settings.  All you need to do is use the Promic, do not want a  external Mic do not plug anything in the 3.5mm port , when you plug in to the 3.5mm port it activates what you plug in.  It is a true stereo not like some  firends company DJI that i MONO all through.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the advice about the settings, which I've found. However I can't change it from N/A, there are no other options available.

I'm guessing this means that I need to have the official GoPro mic adapter rather than using a generic version?

Thanks.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Show a phot oof the actual product you are using and where you got from. If it's not a gopro official mic adapter that is one excellent reason why, but if it is Welcome to the club of returning the Gopro camera for a new one due to the defect of gopro  firmware/hardware..