Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Do I have to format my sd card?

I just got a Hero 5 session and took a lot of footage and it says Sd card error.  Was I supposed to format the card initially?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Do I have to format my sd card?

SD card errors in the Session cameras usually happen if the card gets dislodged or wasn't pressed all the way in. With the door closed, the card can be down far enough for the camera to read it, but if the card hasn't locked in, it can move just enough to cause errors. I've also had it happen when the camera took a jarring hit. Make sure when you insert the card you hear it click into place.

You should always format your card when putting it in a new device. It's also a good idea to do before each time you take the camera out to use it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

You should always format your SD cards before use to ensure that they are using the proper storage format for the camera.  

Highlighted
Adventurer

If you grab the camera, use the card, return to the computer chances are  you may get a error  saying your card needs scanning and repair, what if its forced to format,  so the best  thing one can do is to format the card on every use prior the camera meaning  go out for the day do what you need to do, dump  your footage, and the next time you grab the camera Format  before using so that whole day gets correctly saved.

if you use the card asstorage till filled, then by all means when completed format.  I try not to save footae on a sd card  as things can happen

Highlighted
Explorer

SD card errors in the Session cameras usually happen if the card gets dislodged or wasn't pressed all the way in. With the door closed, the card can be down far enough for the camera to read it, but if the card hasn't locked in, it can move just enough to cause errors. I've also had it happen when the camera took a jarring hit. Make sure when you insert the card you hear it click into place.

You should always format your card when putting it in a new device. It's also a good idea to do before each time you take the camera out to use it.
Highlighted
Adventurer

what I said can happen and if need be it will not be hard to replicate if asked.