Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Display mod

[ New ]
With rumours about the hero9 having a front screen and further rumours about the display mod being cancelled could you tell me if this is true and how I get a full refund for all the hero8 mods and the hero8 as the display mod was the main reason I purchased the camera the delays have been bad enough without it being cancelled. If this was the case I would of waited for the hero9 and the display mod was the main reason I got the hero8 and all the mods.
Nomad

Re: Display mod

[ New ]

Drama much?

There are all sorts of rumors about the GoPro Hero 9, however since GoPro haven't confirmed anything, that's all they are, rumors.  There's not even any insider leaks at this point, just people making stuff up.

IF the GoPro Hero 9 had a color front screen........ it would be about as useless as everyone elses color front screen.  You see plenty of people have "wowed" the color front screen on camera's and said how useful it would be... only its not.  You pretty have to be sitting on your camera to actually see the --bleep-- thing.  If you back more than 1 foot away you can barely use it for framing a shot let alone read any useful info from it.  At 2 feet, it may as well be nothing at all.

So unless the GoPro Hero 9 is going to be at least a camera that's 12ft in size (which I doubt) it's more than likely going to need the ability to attach a front facing display that's large enough for vloggers to use.  I dunno.. some sort of ... display mod if you will..... and there you have it, most likely the real reason behind the futher delay, to make the display mod compatible with both camera's and support their features.

Also....  who said you have to use the GoPro display mod with your hero 8?  There's all sorts of mini HDMI monitors you can attach to your camera.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Try this again:  We  the member got no control of GoPro, and if you bought your product and within the 30-day refund period, looking for a refund, you  found GoPro to buy it. here is or look at each bottom post:

Use the chat or callback feature. you can then talk with a Official Rep then  person to person world wide offering their own Opinion.  The Hero 9  was already in hte makes/talks when the hero 8 comes out, they most likly  handed off the model to inhouse testers, as 60 days and counting  for their new release.  Gopro does not and will not ,   release any info to the Public.  You can find out sometimes at a trade show. about new products. but at GoPro their Patent  with the FCC is out, that said  good luck in the future.

Adventurer

Swore I posted it

[ New ]

Try this again:  We  the member got no control of GoPro, and if you bought your product and within the 30-day refund period, looking for a refund, you  found GoPro to buy it. here is or look at each bottom post:

Use the chat or callback feature. you can then talk with a Official Rep then  person to person world wide offering their own Opinion.  The Hero 9  was already in hte makes/talks when the hero 8 comes out, they most likly  handed off the model to inhouse testers, as 60 days and counting  for their new release.  Gopro does not and will not ,   release any info to the Public.  You can find out sometimes at a trade show. about new products. but at GoPro their Patent  with the FCC is out, that said  good luck in the future.

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah that’s a good point ref making compatible with 9 aswell as the 8 I don’t like to use third party bits with the GoPro so will await the display mod and totally agree a front screen the size it would need to be in the camera would be pointless as framing like the display mod would be I’d just like some response from GoPro
Nomad

[ New ]

No one at GoPro is going to be able to talk about this one, they are under orders not to talk about products or software unless it's white paper (ie. the info has already been released by their PR people to the press).

As for not using 3rd party products........  since there'a s lot of things like mounts, microphones, selfie poles, SD cards, filters, timers, gimbals.......  that GoPro don't make, how do you even use your camera??

From the looks of it, the media mod is also pretty small and only slightly larger than the rear screen.  So why not just buy a much larger and better 7 - 10 inch HDMI monitor that you can get TODAY rather than wait for GoPro's over priced underwhelming media mod?

Hiker

[ New ]
I use it easily mate I just like to use the brands bits
Adventurer

[ New ]

Then Mate get a better camera that does not play games with People.

Nomad

[ New ]

It is like all products ... you chew the Hero 8 with all sorts of accessories today, so that you have exactly the features you want - tomorrow the Hero 9 or 10 comes on the market, which has all the features you want. ..
And now you want to "return" Hero 8 because of that ?! Maybe get the full purchase price for it ?!

Honestly would you do such a deal as a manufacturer ??

Then all Hero 6 owners would do the same with the Hero 7, all Hero 7 owners with the Hero 8 etc. ...

You can sell your "outdated" equipment privately at an affordable price (someone will be happy about it) and then buy the new equipment (someone will be happy too ;)

Hiker

[ New ]
Don’t get me wrong it’s no big one just be a piss take if they drop the display mod
Adventurer

[ New ]

Well  not many do come on board  with Gopro, and they do not know their History, the Karma came & went and peopleshould do what Oliver just said request a refund after they  used it for months b/c they stopped production..   its like going to Price club, costco, a whoesales   store, where the Sell "Discontinued products, and their own brand.  If it does wellt hey continue, it does not do well they Close it out and no longer made.  What gopro is doing.   Not much oa sales was there, and the crises that no one follows.  back to my Hero 4 black all time SMALLEST gopro pro model.

Nomad

[ New ]

While it's understandable that you want to get official GoPro branded accessories, that's just conditioning and compulisive behaviour (and no, this is not a dig, it's something present in just about all of us.  We all like uniform things and don't want to see a pattern broken).

My point is that it's time to break that cycle, especially if the "official" accessory is too small to even see it well.  

The GP8 only had cold shoe mounts, so no camera control over any accessories which means it was more like Lego.  You can stick things onto it but that's about it.  You can even buy cheap knock off parts to stick onto it and sometimes, they do a much better job (like a proper temperature selectable LED panel or at this point, a 10" monitor not made by GoPro).

Personally (yes, this is opinion here, feel free to skip all of this) the GP6 was their ground breaking camera that introduced many new features that were just amazing.  The GP7 wasn't a huge leap about is, it felt like a 6 with some added touches and the GP8 feels more like a GP7(b), sure it's got one or two more bells and whistles, but it feels more like they just fixed problems with the GP7 and did a minor redesign in an attempt to explore the modular market.

At this point, I'm not sure it makes sense to cancel the display mod, especially with the money put into designing it, marketing it and most likely having a preorder PO put in for manufacturing.  The best thing to do at this point would be to see what the public interest is and how much money they stand to make (why do you think they keep asking you to register for details on the sales page?) and double the sales by making it compatible with both the GP8 and GP9.  This would also explain the further delays with this particular module while they work on that.  The GP9 may have a (mostly useless) front screen like the competition and that means there's still a market for a bigger "Add on" display.  The FCC release showing the "Screens" option may attest to that happening.  Could even be that the "media mod" is compatible with the GP9 which makes sense, another way to shift those and recoupe the investment.

BTW, you may want to read the GoPro investor relations presentation, the meeting happens on the 6th of August but their public stuff is available freely on the web.  It's where you're most likely to find important information regarding camera's and software.  Their March release hints that their new camera software (Mural) has a target release date of this fall.  This may co-incide with the release date of their new camera.  The delay could hint that the software can take advantage of whatever new bells and whistles the GP9 offers, but they won't release it early otherwise they'll give away what the GP9 can do.  So bad news for those hoping that the replacement for Quik would come along anytime soon.

Tourist

[ New ]

not quite the same, you buy a product on the basis of the advertised timeline from the supplier. I was happy with my gopro 5 &6, but the advantage of the display for the 8 was a big sell. so many of us bought for the mods - then no mods (well the media mod that eats battery. but no display. that is miss-selling. it is NOT the same as knowing a new better version will be there in 12 months

Nomad

[ New ]

I've never bought anything based upon the "advertised timeline from the supplier".  I buy products based upon their capability, reviews and functionality. Did I buy their light mod?  Nope, simply because a panel LED was much better value and offered more dynamic range in lighting temp, availability of diffusers, and more control over light output.  Since the media mod only has cold shoe mounts, anything from any vendor can be attached to it.  Are there other displays out there that will work with the media mod?  Yes.  Are they cheaper?  Yes.  Will they do the job?  More than likely.  

If the GoPro 9 claims to have some spanking brand new accessories "coming soon" will I buy one based on that?  Nope!  I'll just wait to see what the camera can do without em and see what the reviews for the unit itself are like.  

When you think about it, the Hero 8 was a bit of a downgrade when it comes to an external display.  The Hero 4, 5, 6, 7 all could output over micro HDMI.  You could buy any cheap case online with a cold shoe adapter on it and hook just about any field monitor or display up to it.  

With the Hero 8 you were forced to buy one specific case (media mod) to enable HDMI out.  So not sure why that would be considered advantage at all...

Tourist

[ New ]

Glad there are some that want to blame the consumer, but we purchased and paid for the HERO8 in complete kit at the begging of the year, because it included the display mod. Everything except the external screen was shipped and received, many many months ago. This display mod has been on back-order status since the beginning of the year.  Was advertised to ship the beginning of the year. Would have gone with another camera setup if we knew how GoPro handles releases. Ridiculous that eight months after it was scheduled to ship (and was ordered) it is still not available and that a reliable date when it will ship is still not available. So there is no confidence in GoPro as a company now, completely disappointed, and this will likely be the last GoPro we ever buy. Their are to many other well made sport cams that can deliver what they sell and know how to do a release. Not sure how a company can stay relevant when they advertise a product will be available at the begging of the year (then take pre-orders), and 8 month later its still not available, and a new date is not even available. Lack of customer service and reliabilty is not a good business model. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Just adding my note to this thread. If I did not sign up for the plus account I would probably sell my GoPro products and move on. I bought the 8 because of the lure of the mods (and the application I needed 'em for) and every month since I purchased my camera the date for the release of the stupid little video screen gets pushed out. YET... The mods are still continuously being used as part of the marketing on the website.

I expected more transparency from GoPro - to be honest about the --bleep-- dates, send updates to Plus members on the real state of affairs and stop using COVID as an excuse because I'm not believing it (even if it's true). All I'm seeing is adverts for that --bleep-- little LED light on a clamp FFS.

In the end... I've moved on actually. Found another solution and feel rather foolish for falling for the GoPro Marketing. I would say this though - I'm very curious to see how this company will be ethically navigating this next month or so especially with the 9 rumours and the website "promising" once again that the video mod will be shipping in September.

PS: Has anybody actually received any emails after submitting their email address on the Video Mod sales page? I've not received a word ever...