Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Disastrous GoPro 9 order, support and defective cameras

[ New ]

Hello, I'm trying to summarize the whole disaster as best I can.
I ordered the Hero 9 Black Special Bundle. After delivery, I found that the battery cover can hardly be opened, the camera keeps freezing and the battery has to be removed and the touch display is more than suboptimal. The worst, however: With every second or third picture a vertical stripe is created (see screen / photo) which divides the picture into two color tones / brightness levels. Regardless of the angle, resolution or other settings.
This problem is often mentioned here in the support forum and I also know two friends who have already returned their GoPro9 for this reason.
When you finally reach a support employee (via the callback function, the chat function is never available despite all attempts), extremely different statements are made. One claims you have to install the latest firmware manually using the SD card. However, this does not help either, on the contrary, the effect occurs even more frequently. Other support staff are of the opinion that this problem does not exist at all, although it occurs in abundance and the videos are simply useless. Then another employee told me that all GoPro 9 series cameras have this problem. Another sent me a return label so that the defective GoPro 9 that I ordered could be exchanged for a new, working one. He promised me that he had precisely noted the error and forwarded it and that it will take two weeks before I receive a new and error-free GoPro, since the warehouse staff in Holland would now check and test it in the context of the problem and only then send it off .
But this was not observed either. The "new" GoPro9 was already delivered after a week and, as I already suspected, without checking and oh wonder: It had exactly the same fault: The vertical stripe in the middle that wobbles back and forth funny when filming: Another one defective GoPro9! Incredible! I had to wait for a call back from support and they only offered me to do another exchange or to call the management on. I agreed to the management calling me back. I was guaranteed on the phone that this call would be made within 48 hours at the latest. More than 54 hours have now passed and there was no callback! Furthermore, there is now no longer any possibility of receiving a normal support callback, since the activation of the management blocks this in the system. I no longer have the opportunity to speak to a support representative.
Is there anyone at GoPro who can solve this problem?
I've never experienced anything like it and I also work professionally with different camera systems, media and companies.
Otherwise, I will publish a critical review with two friends who have YouTube channels with many thousands of subscribers in order to warn other potential buyers of these more than questionable methods and products of the current Hero9 series and possibly initiate legal action.
Thanks for the insight.

GoPro9.JPG
GoPro

Re: Disastrous GoPro 9 order, support and defective cameras

[ New ]

Hi @peppyridge4288

Sorry for any trouble caused. This is not the kind of experience we want you to have as a GoPro customer.

Our team is aware of this issue and working on resolving this as soon as possible.

We'll post back once we have an update We appreciate your patience.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hallo,

thanks for your feedback. But i know that gopro knows this. That doesnt help me and i am still waiting for the call and i cant order a new one. When somebody call me? I need support via Phone, for the next step. I cant wait if there is one day a update, wich will maybe fix this.

Best Regards.

Tourist

[ New ]

Nobody calls me from the Management, for a whole Week! And i cant get a normal call any moren, as you cann see in the Screen.
That is absolutely dubious, yes, in principle, criminal!
You knowingly sell products that are not functional and have serious defects and then block the people who complain about your goods!

11.JPG
Nomad

[ New ]

So the issue with the line on the screen is related to the GoPro Ver 1.5 firmware update.  The problem didn't exist before than.  The 1.5 Firmware update fixed a LOT of issues, but unfortunately created a brand new issue.  GoPro are working on this and releasing a new Firmware to fix this issue, however it will probably be a few more weeks.  

If you exchange your camera and update to firmware 1.5, you will have this issue.  It's not a camera issue, it's a firmware issue, so exchanging is a waste of time.

Change your Frame rate, it seems to mostly happen when using high speed frame rates.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hallo, thanks for your Sentence.
Yes i know now, the Issue has to to with the Firmware-Update. 
But to be hounest: That shouldnt be. Never have such a strange Issue in Context of the Update and the Guys from GoPro-Telephone-Support allways say that it has nothing to do with that.
And now? Waiting for some more weeks or months and hope that the problem doesnt exist any more, with a new Firmware???
I cant get a support-call any more, after the management-order, wich never happen and so my 30day revocation time is over and i buy a camera, wich i cant use. GoPro sells still those cameras and the Buyers get no info, that if they install the Update, wich everyone does, he cant use the filmmaterial any more. 
This is just unbelivable. For such a big company! 
Also here: I seams that no Support-Worker will fix the case and do something that i get a callback and can send the camera/order back.

Nomad

[ New ]

If you can name a company that's released a tech product and never had to release a patch or an update to improve it or fix compatability issues, then I'll send you the winning lottery numbers!

GoPro a big company?  1000 employee's (and don't forget, some of those are sales, some are marketing, some are accountants, some are packaging designers...) with a net worth of $95 million.  Compare that to a company like Apple with 147,000 employee's with a net worth of $2 Trillion.............    GoPro is actually quite a small company.  People don't seem to get that.  Just because you're famous and make a lot of product, doesn't mean that you're huge.  In fact the people that work on the firmware are also the people that work on the GoPro Player, GoPro Webcam App, GoPro Mobile app.....   so it's a small group that have a ton of work to do...  Probably explains why there's no windows software... no one has time to make one!

Actually going upon past update history, you should expect a patch within 30 days or less (less since they've been working on it a few weeks now).  That's a guess but I think it's a good one.  

As for Telephone support saying it's not a firmware issue........  please realize that the admins here work for GoPro, Telephone support is more than likely a 3rd party contracted call center with a trouble shooting guide and little or no information about the actual inner workings of GoPro or what's in the works.  Not their fault, they can only do what they are told and what their trouble shooting guide on their PC tells them to say.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

I thank you for your efforts and explanations and I agree with you in the last section. The telephone support probably doesn't have more information, but it is still not necessary to say, for example, that it is not the firmware or to pretend that the problem is completely unknown.
I'm sorry, but the GoPro is big enough to offer decent support. Anyone who offers 1 million dollar challenges and is super cool and successful should be able to handle at least one complaint properly.
And this is not a small problem, but a significant deficiency. The videos are surely useless and I have never experienced anything like this with any other manufacturer and I have Insta360 cameras, DJI cameras, Panasonic cameras etc.pp here.

I ask a GoPro technician to release my line again, so that I can finally receive telephone support again and make use of my right of withdrawal.
I've wasted enough time on returns, error analysis and research. Many hours. Thanks.