Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Destroyed Camera Suction Cup

[ Edited ]

So I have used the suction cup mount onto my vehicle for a couple times now without issues. Today I mounted my Hero 5 to the tailgate of my truck and it fell off within 10 seconds of driving around a corner. I was going pretty slow and the suction was on a clean surface and seemed rigid. After it fell we went back and it was crushed to pieces, my guess is a car ran over it before we managed to turn around and get it back.

I understand GoPro probably will not send a replacement but I would like to know if this could be used to help develop a better suction cup or at least find out what was at fault for this. Below is the aftermath, makes for a pretty good souvenir.

dshdshfds.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Destroyed Camera Suction Cup

Relying on a suction cup to keep your expensive camera safe isn't a very good idea.  Heat changes, water intrusion, and bumps can cause the suction cup to fail and when this happens you'll see the type of unfortunate accident happen that's happened to you.

When mounting your camera (anywhere) always make sure you are using a secondary tether system to keep your camera safe in the event of a mounting failure.  I tend to use magnetic clamps as they are more secure, however I tend to customize my mounts to add extra stability and prevent failures (hence I tend to use 3 x 40lb pull magnets for 1 GoPro Fusion).

You should try contacting GoPro directly regarding this issue, they may not give you a brand new camera, but they may be help ease the pain of your loss.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Also, if have any cool GoPro footage, post it to the GoPro awards section, you never know, you may win enough to purchase a new camera.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

teather or leash is important outside  of hands reach,  Cleaning the cup and surface as well.  .  I am sure you did all that and gopro will replace the Cup, the camera is anothe rstory.

Highlighted
Nomad

Relying on a suction cup to keep your expensive camera safe isn't a very good idea.  Heat changes, water intrusion, and bumps can cause the suction cup to fail and when this happens you'll see the type of unfortunate accident happen that's happened to you.

When mounting your camera (anywhere) always make sure you are using a secondary tether system to keep your camera safe in the event of a mounting failure.  I tend to use magnetic clamps as they are more secure, however I tend to customize my mounts to add extra stability and prevent failures (hence I tend to use 3 x 40lb pull magnets for 1 GoPro Fusion).

You should try contacting GoPro directly regarding this issue, they may not give you a brand new camera, but they may be help ease the pain of your loss.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Also, if have any cool GoPro footage, post it to the GoPro awards section, you never know, you may win enough to purchase a new camera.