Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Dead pixels, lot of them

[ Edited ]
Same problem here. Got mine yesterday and noticed immediately lots of stuck pixels ( a big red one and more blue/white dots). I guess this is a production issue of the first batch of Hero 9, or a bad sensor choice. I’m contacting GoPro to report the camera issue as well, and I’ll wait for the firmware fix. If it doesn’t fix it, I’ll return the camera and will continue asking for replacements under warranty until I get a camera with a good sensor. I’m also preparing comparative photos and videos for the new firmware, just to be sure they don’t “cheat” or do some tricks on the ISO settings.
This has been my first purchase of a GoPro product and it will be the last one if this problem is not properly fixed.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @rosowka. There seems to be an issue with the page itself but we have already reported it. We notice, too, that it reverts to the initial article. See below for details.

We have updates coming to improve your video and photo capture experience:

Oct. 22 – Firmware Update

• Touchscreen Sensitivity – increased sensitivity to better register taps and swipes.
  • Image Quality Improvements  
    • Improved correction for colored dots (or pixels) in video modes, including TimeWarp, time lapse and LiveBurst, especially with lower ISO settings
    • Protune Medium Sharpness has been fine-tuned for 4k video modes
  • Connectivity – bug fix keeps GoPro app pairing on point.

Nov. – v1.5 Firmware Release

• Slow-Mo Shortcut – introducing a new slow-mo shortcut option for rear display.
  • HyperSmooth 3.0  we’re improving HyperSmooth performance even more in colder temperatures. 
  • External Mic –  connectivity enabled for the 3.5mm Mic Adapter.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, I have the same issue with dead pixels (red, green, blue pixels), they only appeared once I switched to high bitrate video.

How sure are you this firmware update is going to fix the problem?

vlcsnap-2020-10-10-18h46m00s078.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi all
GoPro today released the new firmware that should fix that coloured dots issue at ISO below 400, this new firmware resolves the issue in yours cameras or not ?

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black
Highlighted
Hiker

In my preliminary test, under black scene 5k iso 800 I have the same result.

4k 400 ISO is good, the dots are there but soft (smooth-blurred) so you don't see them.

From a practical point of view to me is solved.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Same issue here, and took photos and videos in low\no light both before and after the latest firmware (released Oct 20) and exactly the same outcome.

Completely unacceptable from my perspective - whilst I had no intention of shooting in absolute darkness, a typically lit dining room with reasonable lighting shows these as horific red beacons of distraction. The greatest irony is I'm shooting multi-cam with my Hero 7 as a wide shot covering three people at the table, and the Hero 9 as a mobile camera we move around depending on the situation, and the Hero 7 is outperforming the heck out of this brand new camera...

If only I could get through to someone on support chat to organise to have it replaced...

Attached pic is post-firmware, ISO200 at max resolution. I counted roughly 20 bright pixels before I got bored. Frankly I find the noise at anything above 400 unusable at night in my dining room anyway, so hiding the pixels isn't a solution (nor should it be for a brand new camera!). 

EDIT: And unfortunately, embedding the JPG image in the forums renders them all but invisible...

GOPR0026.JPG