Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Dead pixels, lot of them

I have found an official answer from Gopro in Gopro Italy forum

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/HERO-9-Black-Hot-pixels-Dead-pixel-pixel-bruciati-in-ITALIA/m...

Basically, they are studying the problem and also indicates that over 800 ISO the problem disappears.

Highlighted
Tourist

Over 800 iso the stuck pixels blend in because the noise floor gets raised. Raising the ISO to 800 doesnt fix the sensor flaw it just hides it.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Got the same problem. Have returned two cameras already. Just gonna 4eturn it and hopefully they'll fix it in the future.
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Dead pixels, lot of them

I have tested with a blind scenario ISO 400... it is a disaster but is true that with light is not a problem.

Impossible to contact Gopro about this problem, Still we didn't find anyone without this problem.

2020-09-29 21_28_54-Gopro Dead Pixels.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello Everyone. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the camera. A firmware release has been set to fix the issue of the pixels appearing in lower ISO settings. For updates, see https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates .

Highlighted
Hiker

From the link you send - I see that info about firmware with update fixing dead pixels dissaper? It was there yesterday...
When you plan to relase it?
Highlighted
Hiker

I had this problem.I changed max iso to 800 and and now is fine anything bellow 800 will make this kind of artifacts on my camera.Also last updated to last version

Highlighted
Tourist

Well, they can't dissapear on the higher ISO settings. hot/dead pixels are  physically damaged pixels on the sensor (tho hot pixels are like half damaged, their appereance depends on the sensor temperature, iso and expousure time). The only way to make them invisible is sensor mapping (taking picture with covered lens, it's called dark frame, it's basically making a map of damaged pixels). GoPro could add that option to the firmware, that could help.  Basically every sensor have hot pixels, tho they shouldn't appear on the lowest iso settings and in expousure times used in daylight.