Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Date Time Stamp

[ New ]

How can I get the Date/Time visually stamped to my videos on my Hero9Black?  Taking videos of my grandkids and I WANT the date and time burned permanently onto the video.  Ideally, I do not want to export to some video editor to do this...I just want the simplicity of adding the date and time just like an old tape camcorder can.  Thanks.

GoPro

Re: Date Time Stamp

[ New ]

Hello, @larrys5170. There is no native GoPro application that can do this but there may be third-party programs or applications that can be used. Hub members may have suggestions based on what they use so you may watch out for their responses as well. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you.  This functionality should be a no-brainer for the folks who write GoPro firmware updates.  If a 10 year old 35 dollar "spy pen" can superimpose a recorded date and time onto a video AS AN OPTION...
It would seem that the very expensive GoProHero9 SHOULD have such an OPTION for a grandpa wanting to see a date/time on family videos.  From what I can see online, I am not the only person LOOKING FOR this functionality in a GoPro.  I can imagine there must be some time consuming external software or video editor method....but I WANT THE RECORD ON VIDEO DATE/TIME OPTION ... selectable in the camera.
This Hero9 is my first GoPro.  What is the best way to get a feature request to the update firmware writers?  Or to the GoPro10 developers?  Tks for reading.

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi "Grandpa". The reason your "spypen" has the time and date burned into it is because it's a form of security camera.  Such footage is usually used in the presentation of evidence as a crime, hence the requirement for the time and date stamp.  Did you know that if you present footage in court with the wrong time and date stamp the judge can throw it out as evidence?  Go figure.

Anyway, good new, the feature you requested actually IS available for the GoPro Hero 8 and 9.  You will need to download the "GoPro Labs" firmware onto your camera. The download links can be found here:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-GoPro-Labs/ta-p/603173

Once the firmware is loaded, just go to this webpage:

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/overlays/

Point your camera at the QR code on the page (you don't have to adjust anything on the page) and the time and date will be overlayed on your footage from here on out.

If you have any difficulty, do what everyone else does, find the nearest 12 year old, see if you can rip their phone out of their hands long enough for them to pay attention.  Put up with their sulky eye rolling and sighing as they (after much bribery) finally get around to helping you set this up.

Hope this helps, but in all seriousness, if you run into difficulty, post here and we'll try to help out.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey that is great news and I will try it !!!   Since I have been playing with computers since the green-text-only screen days and just upgraded to the latest GoPro9 firmware a few nights ago....I should be all set.  I wish I read your info before we went to the beach today !  Thanks for taking the time and interest to respond to my question.... and I will let you know how well your answer works.  CHEERS !

Nomad

[ New ]

Works great using Labs firmware. I set vertical size to 50 and leave horizontal size at 0

https://gopro.com/v/G1rerZzPwVkRW

Nomad

[ New ]

Cropped in on a snapshot from video to show detail

VideoCapture_20210724-065526.jpg