Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Date Stamp on pictures / videos (Hero 5 User)

[ New ]

Seen various treads on time stamping on videos and how you can use Quik to put a guage on a video (but not on time lapse)

I use night time time lapse a lot on my hero 5 and it would be pretty useful if there was an option to put a time stamp ribbon on the bottom of the stills - currently i have to keep flipping to file manager to track down the still to see what time it was taken :) (I actually still use Gopro Studio - never quite got on with Quik in producing/ editing videos :) ). 

It may never happen for the 5, i assume it would be software related though if someone bothered to amend the firmware (?) it could be developed for new models and as long as whatever was needed in the hardware was available in older models it could be rolled out for them.

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Date Stamp on pictures / videos (Hero 5 User)

[ New ]

Thought I'd summerise before accepting a solution.

1 - Still think it woud be a good idea for GoPro to sort an option to date/time stamp the pictures / videos if we wanted to.

2 - In the meantime use DaVinci Resolve (they do a 'free' version) as suggested by danielr15, without whom this solution would not have been found. It worked for me, there may be others that do the same.

Download location: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

3 - Set up a Data Burn, for 'Source File Name' (in my case DaVinci did not recognise the date or time meta data in the Hero5 stills). This shows the still name with its entire path(eg D:/DCIM/107GOPRO/G0020009.JPG). I found it best to locate it down and off to the left with an White Ariel font on the black background, The File name is quite long but you can position it so that the first part of the path (D:/DCIM/) was hidden off screen and only the later showed(107GOPRO/G0020009.JPG). Save it as a 'preset' (see the video for instructions, you have to be careful what video you watch as the location of the Data Burn-In option has changed over time)

4 - To view a time lapse or video open DaVinci resolve (in version 16 at least), click on 'New Project'

5 - Select the 'media' tab

6 - you can easily drag 60 odd GB of time lapse pictures in their GOPRO folders (I suppose it depends on your computing power) into its media pool (actually does it better then GoPro Studio).

7 - Go to the 'edit' tab, selct 'media pool' in the menu bar at the top,drag all the folders into a time line (you have to make sure they are in file name order using the file manager menu at the top of the media pool box or your timeline will not be in file order).

8  - From the 'workspace' top menu select 'Data Burn In' and load the preset you made for the source fie name.

9 - Click crl+F to switch to full screen and 'spacebar' to play/stop your timelapse / video. When it is paused you can use the left or  right arrows to go back and forth frame by frame. The up and down arrows move from folder to folder - ie 107GOPRO to 106GOPRO.

10 You File Name is displayed where you set it in your preset. It changes as the video moves. Sometimes it jumps a few frames, I think this relates to what goes on in your computer at the time. I've had 60 odd GB playback with every frame, but then occassions where it skips 20 or so frames.You can see the image number and its GoPro folder so that you can go straight to the original image in File Manager or Finder to look at any relevant meta data from the image ( eg Date Taken )

11 - It seems to work OK loading the files direct from the SD card in a card reader (ie you don't have to import it on your hard drive), at least on my machine. Once finsihed you close the program and don't save the project if you don't want it. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
The information is being recorded into the metadata of your files, it's just a matter of displaying the metadata into your project. Quik is not the only program that can pull data from GoPro files. Dashware, RaceRender, and many others, including this member created program can all retrieve data. https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/#

The key is really just having the know how and proper tools to do what you are looking for. Your first step will be to get away from GoPro Studio and start using a proper non-linear editor like Adobe Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro works well because it works well with After Effects, which you can use to embed the data into your project.

I don't have the exact step by step, but you should know that each photo in your time laps does have embedded metadata that includes an incredible amount of data (ISO, Shutter speed, WB,...) including the date/time stamp. Getting that data and using it is the only challenge. You might want to engage the members over in this group and see if they can help you along https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation
Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Daniel
Thanks for the reply and the useful info. I put most of my stuff through Studio and also iMovie, I suppose only because they are free and I have them and seem to do what I want (or maybe not!)😀. I don’t know enough about the other options , though I am an Adobe user for other products.
I know each picture has the meta data attached , more then most require, and can access it needs be. However probably more then 99% of the stuff I take never gets past a quick skim, usually after uploading into Studio and looking through in ‘step1’ and never get any further before I delete it The time stamp would let me identify any frames I am interested in quickly and easily.
Would the other programs lift the data and display it as a layer while previewing without much more processing?

I’ll give that group a look and see there is any help :)
Explorer

[ New ]

Download and get to know DaVinci Resolve (it's free). It's going to take you awhile to learn it and you'll probably spend more time watching YouTube Videos than actually making videos in the beginning, but it's time well spent.

I did a quick search just now and found a couple videos that might help you (I'm sure there are more and probably better videos out there).  The focus of the first video is on video, but it shouldn't be much different for Time Lapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTIvvWCHxks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OguVNY5kfc 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

Daniel

Really appreciate the time you spent on this!

I did have a look and a try, and did get a little further - just an update to let you know progress

- DaVinci Resolve 16 (the latest version) didn't seem to want to work properly in Windows 10- (though it started , it didn't like importing files and kept crashing) - there's just been an update to 10 so it may be that the developers have a bug or two to sort after the update, but my computer is a MacBook Pro that I run both windows and IOS on. I tend to use the windows side more, but DaVinci seemed to work well on the Mac side. Though there is obviously a bit to learn how to drive it properly.

- I did get to see if i could 'burn' the data - it worked to a certain extent!. It didn't seem to want to pick out the source time or day or date, on the 'time lapse' sequence i loaded (just imported all the stills), it showed the source time as seconds into the time lapse video it ran, rather then picking the time of each frame as it passed and the day and date where just blank so I don't think it was interpretting or seeing the meta data in the stills to get the information out of the 'date taken' tag (or whatever it hides in). 

-The one thing that did come up was it would show the frame number, which was the gopro jpg filename so i did get something to work with and be able to track any frames i want so a success in that part :)

I will have to further play with it all and try the windows version again to see if I can get it to work properly and play round with the macside - the rendering of the preview clips seemed a bit flaky in continuity - mind you I did have that problem with Gopro Studio on the Mac side, but not on the Windows side )

Once again many thanks for the time and effort you expended on my behalf :)

Explorer

[ New ]
Thanks for the update.

DaVinci Resolve 16 (Beta) works well on my Windows 10 device, but I have a decently powerful machine.

Glad to hear your making some progress on this

All my best.
Hiker

[ New ]

Loaded the Beta Version and that works fine :)

Hiker

[ New ]

Thought I'd summerise before accepting a solution.

1 - Still think it woud be a good idea for GoPro to sort an option to date/time stamp the pictures / videos if we wanted to.

2 - In the meantime use DaVinci Resolve (they do a 'free' version) as suggested by danielr15, without whom this solution would not have been found. It worked for me, there may be others that do the same.

Download location: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

3 - Set up a Data Burn, for 'Source File Name' (in my case DaVinci did not recognise the date or time meta data in the Hero5 stills). This shows the still name with its entire path(eg D:/DCIM/107GOPRO/G0020009.JPG). I found it best to locate it down and off to the left with an White Ariel font on the black background, The File name is quite long but you can position it so that the first part of the path (D:/DCIM/) was hidden off screen and only the later showed(107GOPRO/G0020009.JPG). Save it as a 'preset' (see the video for instructions, you have to be careful what video you watch as the location of the Data Burn-In option has changed over time)

4 - To view a time lapse or video open DaVinci resolve (in version 16 at least), click on 'New Project'

5 - Select the 'media' tab

6 - you can easily drag 60 odd GB of time lapse pictures in their GOPRO folders (I suppose it depends on your computing power) into its media pool (actually does it better then GoPro Studio).

7 - Go to the 'edit' tab, selct 'media pool' in the menu bar at the top,drag all the folders into a time line (you have to make sure they are in file name order using the file manager menu at the top of the media pool box or your timeline will not be in file order).

8  - From the 'workspace' top menu select 'Data Burn In' and load the preset you made for the source fie name.

9 - Click crl+F to switch to full screen and 'spacebar' to play/stop your timelapse / video. When it is paused you can use the left or  right arrows to go back and forth frame by frame. The up and down arrows move from folder to folder - ie 107GOPRO to 106GOPRO.

10 You File Name is displayed where you set it in your preset. It changes as the video moves. Sometimes it jumps a few frames, I think this relates to what goes on in your computer at the time. I've had 60 odd GB playback with every frame, but then occassions where it skips 20 or so frames.You can see the image number and its GoPro folder so that you can go straight to the original image in File Manager or Finder to look at any relevant meta data from the image ( eg Date Taken )

11 - It seems to work OK loading the files direct from the SD card in a card reader (ie you don't have to import it on your hard drive), at least on my machine. Once finsihed you close the program and don't save the project if you don't want it. 

Explorer

[ New ]
Awesome. Thanks for the follow up and detailed response! I'm sure there will be plenty who will benefit from the time you took to write this up.
Hiker

[ New ]

Little addition to the solution :

In DaVinci resolve you have the option to see all videos frames, as a default this is switched  off. The location of the menu to do it is a bit hard to desceibe :).

1- In DaVinci resolve with your project loaded - go to the 'edit' tab.

2 - top centre of the page is the 'edit page viewer', where the clip is shown.

3 - In the top right of this section you will see 3 dots, this is the 'option menu' for the viewer, click it to open.

4- tick the 'show all video frames' option

I have added a screen clip, hope it helps

There is a descriptor in the manual, currently on (October 2019) Chapter 6, 'Prioritizing Audio or Video
Playback in the Edit Page' on page 199

resolve snip.png