Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Date - Incorrect Video Creation Date

[ New ]

And to be fair I tried it on Linux which also changed the Date Modified to the creationb date modified by the time zone offset.

I then tried it with the Yi with a similar result except that instead of adding 11 hours to the modified date it added 7.5 hours.

However checking the Hero 4 under windows gave me the same date and modified date  as on the SD card so it may turn out to be a camera issue after all.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have a Hero 4 Black and I also have always had this same issue.

I also own a Panasonic TM700 Camcorder and it has (since day 1) always transfered the correct dates and times that the videos were taken.

I could right now take a short video clip on my GoPro Hero 4 Black and my Panasonic TM700 then wait until tommorrow morning to transfer these video files from each to my Windows 10 64 bit computer.

The Panasonic TM700 will show the correct Date and Time that the video was created.

My GoPro Hero 4 Black will show tomorrows Date and Time indicating when the file was actually transfeered but not taken.

It is very frustrating!

I think that it is a actual encoding of the video file itself to the SD Card.

Panasonic encodes and locks in the actual Date & Time of every picture and video taken.

Because the only variable of this is the actual devices themselves it IS NOT computer, SD Card related.

I use SanDisc SD cards in both my GoPro and Panasonic Camcorder..64 gigabytes each.

Lastly my Panasonic files are "MTS Files" my GoPro uses MP4 video file.

Is this a MTS vs MP4 Video File Characteristic?

Regards,

Ed B

Hiker

[ New ]
I have the exact same issue described here, with the exception that in my case the time is +1, and I live in the +1GMT.
Still no solution??
What do you guys do? How can this be changed manually at least?
Tourist

[ New ]

I've done some research on file timestamps, and it appears what is happening is a different definition of file timestamps from the GoPro camera and Windows. Assuming you are using an sd card with a modern file system such as NTFS or exFAT, the time can be converted to local time. For NTFS (i.e. a hard drive), it stores the time as UTC, and is then converted to local time to display in file explorer. exFAT, which is common on SD cards, stores the local time and the offset from UTC. If the time is 6:00, and the time zone is -5:00, it will store both of those two values. When you copy the file to an NTFS drive, such as importing from your camera, Windows writes 11:00 to the file, then converts to your computer's time zone to display in file explorer, so it would show 6:00 as long as your computer is in -5:00.

The Media Create date is part of the Quicktime specification for MP4 and MOV files, and specifies that the time is always stored in UTC. However, many cameras like GoPros simply write the local time, rather than converting to UTC. This is somewhat unusual for GoPros since they know the time zone information, so should be able to write this correctly. When Windows displays the time, it assumes it is UTC, converts to local time and that's how we get the incorrect time. So in the above example, rather than the GoPro writing 11:00, it writes 6:00 which is the local time. Windows then displays 1:00 since it is applying the -5:00 offset to 6:00. So in summary, GoPro cameras are not following the specification correctly.

Note:

This is not an issue with photos because the EXIF specification is different regarding the time taken. It specifically does NOT specify the format of the time - it is a tag that can be used however desired. It could be local time or UTC, and does not store a time zone offset (this is similar to older filesystems such as FAT). Windows therefore makes no assumptions about this time, and displays it as stored, regardless of the computer's time zone.

Hiker

[ New ]

It´s quite unbelievable that this problem exists since so long ago and are the users the ones reporting all that information about it, without any fix from GoPro site.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I ran into the same problem and the fix that I found was a simple one.  Simply right click on the coloum heading of the window in which your files are stored. And add the column name "Date Created".  And that should do the trick.  This was for Windows 10.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunately, the Date Created field is mutable - it can be changed unintentionally if the file is copied or moved between computers. This is because it is the date the file itself was created, not the video. On the other hand, the Media Create date is metadata stored in the video under the Quicktime specification. It will not be changed simply by moving the file. In fact, depending on the software used, it could even be preserved if the video is reencoded. This makes it a much better choice for storing video dates.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is just a "trick" to arrange them correctly in Windows, but the problem in the metadata persists. Try to upload them to Google Photos, for instance, and you'll see how they are not correctly arranged, because the GMT data is missing in the metadata.
If I live in a +1 zone and my video is recorded at 17.00, what should be recorded in the metadata is 16.00+1GMT, not 17. If it is recorded like 17, when it is copied to a PC or using any software, it will just assume to local settings, so transform them to 17.00+1=18.00