Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Date - Incorrect Video Creation Date

[ New ]

Ok great!  Appreciate the update.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Im having the same problem importing using Lightroom onto a Mac. Date/time for photos is correct but for mp4 it is (todays) date/time of import. It means my 6 weeks worth of holiday photos/video are going to be horribly out of order on my computer and hopelessly useless for making holiday movies etc!!

Hiker

[ New ]

I have a date/time issue with the HERO 6 BLACK. On my camera under preferences the date and time is correct, but when i record a video and view 'my media' on the gopro app, the day kept being offset by 1 day ahead.

After doing some tests by manually adjusting the time, I have come to the conclusion that something is causing the time or recroding to be offet from the camera time by +11 hours. I came to this conclusion because when the time on the camera was set to 12am - 12:59pm, the date would be correct on the media on the app, but when the camera was 1pm - 11:59pm, the date would be offset by 1 day ahead.

Anyone else seen this with their HERO 6 BLACK?

Thanks,

Peter

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @peterkilleen,

Have you tried resetting the camera to factory settings or try to install a new firmware manually?

You can do that by following the manualupdate steps here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero6-black

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Jay @jayr3438,

Yes I did both of those things... didn’t fix it. I mentioned this on my own post, HERO 6, MULTIPLE ISSUES, which you provided me insight on.

Now I’m not sure if this is a coincidence... but I’m in Melbourne, Australia. The time zone here is GMT + 11. As I stated my go pro shows the correct time and date, but when viewing on my phone it assigns a date that is 11 hours in front of the time on the camera. It is if the camera takes the time as GMT and my phone knows I’m on GMT + 11 so is offsetting the time to be incorrect.

Maybe someone from the GoPro software engineering team can look into the code for time stamping the media?!

It would be really good if other people with the HERO 6 BLACK on software V02.01 can try the same tests by adjusting the camera time on the came, shoot a short video and go to my media on the app and see if they have the same problems. Then feedback on how much out their camera is in terms of hours and see if it coincides with the time zone they’re on.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks @peterkilleen,

We'll raise that concern. 

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]

@jayr3438

Further update on this timing offset issue... seems to just be a GoPro app issue (I’m on iPhone) - as when I put the SD card in my PC, the creation date and time of all files are correct.

maybe someone can get the software team to look into how the GoPro app is interpreting recorded times. With me being in a GMT + 11 time zone, it seems consistent with my 11 hour offset, so even though the camera time is local time, when viewing on the app, it is interpreting the time as GMT time!

Hiker

[ New ]

In order to replicate something like this I've tinkered with Windows.

My timezone is usually set to GMT.  I have went into the Windows clock and adjusted the time/date.  Setting "Adjust Time Zone Automatically" to off if I then set the Time zone to Norfolk Island (+11) 

I opened up my SD card. The dates seemed correct on the files.  I then copied the files across to the hard drive.

Looking at the datestamp of the files on the hard drive I saw that Windows had now changed the date stams in the following ways:

Date Created - this was set to the time I copied the files across (adjusted for the +11 as the computer now thinks it was tomorrow morning) so all the files had the same date

Date Modified - this was set to the creation time adjusted by the +11 time zone (i.e. 11 hours after they were actually taken)

Date - this was changed to the creation time modified by the time zone correction EXCEPT for the photos.

If I change it to Quala Lumpa (+8) then all files have the same modifications with the +8 hours correction.

If I used Quick to copy the files across the dates ended up modified in exactly the same way.

Looks like this is something to do with Windows