Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Date - Incorrect Video Creation Date

Thanks for your answer. Now it doesn´t give any error, but it doesn´t do anything either:

PS C:\Users\user\Desktop\1> ./Fix_Timestamps.exe GX10825.MP4 +4
PS C:\Users\user\Desktop\1>

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Maybe you've renamed the video file, but doesn't the default file naming convention have 6 digits after GX, for example GX010825.MP4? The program does nothing as you described if the file does not exist.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for your fast answer!
That was indeed just a type when posting it here. I also tried to rename it as 1.mp4, but still not changing anything.
Am I doing something wrong?

Highlighted
Hiker

Okay, update: what happens if you manually change the extension name?
In my case if I change the .MP4 for anything else, let´s say, .JPEG or .JASDKFJA, the date changes to the correct one.

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm testing the program as well. i cannot make any changes to the file regardless the file extension change.

when open directly, it seems missing the DLL files:
msvcp140d.dll
ucrtbased.dll
vcruntime140d.dll
When install those DLL files, still nothing happened, not any error or anything.
Highlighted
Tourist

Update: alternatively you can use a exiftool to change all date in a Mp4 file tracks without touching the encoding.

1. Download the Exiftool from http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/index.html
  2. this tool works on windows and Mac
  3. Extra tool to local folder, rename the tool to exiftool.exe
  4. run command
    exiftool -*date-=REPLACETIMEZONE *.MP4 -overwrite_original_in_place
    the above command, you need to change the REPLACETIMEZONE to the local timezone you had, for example your local time zome is GMT +10, then use number 10 in the command line like.( if GMT -4, then replace it with -4)
exiftool -*date-=10 *.MP4 -overwrite_original_in_place

-overwrite_original_in_place just an option that doesn't create any additional file. Make sure you backup all the photo and videos before try/test this.

-*date-= just modify all tagging with date name in it, it might not safe to use this.

*.MP4 just to apply those into MP4 exstion file only, so no photos will the touched

Highlighted
Sightseer

I just had the same issue with copying some videos off of my GoPro, but after looking in properties for one of the videos, I found the correct date and time under "Media created", so in Windows explorer I went to the folder to which I had copied my videos and added the "Media created" column (right click in one of the column headings, at the bottom it says "More...", click that, and scroll through to find "Media created").

Of course, this seemed to work, until I looked at the time, which was off by 6 hours! I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm assuming the time associated with the video on the GoPro was either set as UTC or interpreted as that by the computer, and then converted to local time, six hours early. I will look at the GoPro time and date settings to see if the time zone can be set. If not, I may have to look at some way of editing the time or time zone for the video files - perhaps 3rd party software for bulk edits? I hope I don't have to go that route:(