Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Date - Incorrect Video Creation Date

[ New ]

My Hero 6 Black (third replacement for various reason), latest firmware, new battery,  has a problem with the creation date of videos.  The date of creation when displayed through the app or directly on the SC card is correct and agrees with the dates for photos.  However, when the files are copied to the PC the date and time of the video but not photos changes to the date/time of copy to the PC?

I have tried to ask support without any suggestion or even acknowledgment that this is a real problem.  It has happened on multiple 6 Blacks and with various SD Cards so it is not a hardware problem.  When I mount the SD Card without the app, I can rename the video file on the SD Card, thereby forcing the file to be closed properly.  This works sometimes.  Other times the file, when copied to the PC, is given a random time???

I don't have this problem with other video cameras (e.g, ION or Nikon).  The PC is new, with lots of memory and disk, Windows 10 and all software is up to date.

GoPro 4-5-2018.JPG
Adventurer

Re: Date - Incorrect Video Creation Date

[ New ]

quick/edit/prefrence , Synch did you do that?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same isuue for me. Any solution or software to change date andtime, or at least rename gopro files with media created date ?

Anonymous

[ New ]

It's not a sync problem, the created date and time is ok on gopro. The date and time is only modified when importing on PC Win 10

Adventurer

[ New ]

thank you. I understand  now.  later I shall try myself again later and with a video. put on my list of things.

FISH

Anonymous

[ New ]

Still, I have no idea why this happens when I move from an SD Card to Windows 10 hard disk.  

It is incredibly annoying to spend weeks in Alaska taking pictures and video and having to manually match the time and date.  

Does anyone have a clue where I can look for a solution? 

Thanks

GoPro SD vs HD 6-27-18.JPG
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

What SD card are you using?

Have you tried a factory reset on the camera?  Preferences> Factory Reset

If it will still be the same, please run a manual software update. This usually corrects most issues on the camera.

Once done doing a reset or an update, format the card on the camera itself. Make sure to save any important files before doing this. Preferences> Format SD Card

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Anonymous

[ New ]
Ej
Tried them all. SD Card does not matter, tried several from the approved list. Mostly use a 128 Sandisk Extreme. Did the factory reset, several times, did maual updates, tried DIFFERENT cameras since I had cold weather battery issues with one H6. I will format the Card on the Camera

My best guess is that it is a quirk of the newest Windows 10 OS but is completley repreatable.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks! Feel free to post back if the issue will be cleared.

Regards,

Ej

Anonymous

[ New ]

Having the same issue

Noted that this is a systemic issue for all the videos.

In my case, the video creation date would be pushed 8 hours ahead of the actual creation time.

It is strange because I am based in Singapore, so it doesnt really look like a time zone issue (there isnt a place that is 8hours ahead of singapore in terms of timezone).

Capture.PNG

Not sure if this helps..

But given the nature, this doesnt look like a Windows 10 importing issue?

cheers

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Thank you for posting your results. Are these files imported to your computer via Quik for desktop? If it is, then it might be the same issue that we have forwarded to the team. We do not have new information on it yet though but we will keep you posted once we do. 

Best regards, 

Marius

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi all, I live in Turkey and I have the same problem for years. Everytime I hoped that this issue will be solved in new models but unfortunately the same thing happens since from my first GoPro to now. I used hero 4, hero session, hero 5 and now hero 6. Always same time stamp problem in exif info's of videos.
İt's so interesting that I don't see it at transferred photos, but I see it all transferred videos from GoPro to my devices.

What I tried? First I thought that it is because of transferring to iPhone by wireless. So I connected devices to PC but the same thing happened. Than I bought an lighting sd card reader and tried to transfer with this reader directly to iPhone again but the same thing happened again. At last I gave up and started to correct manually every single video time exif data after I transferred from my GoPro.

The interesting part of this issue is that time shifts after transferring to iPhone or PC are 3 hours shifts.
But when I visit a city that has a different time zone, I saw that time shift is changing. For example when I capture a video in Istanbul, after transferring the video, I correct the it's time 3 hours back. But at April 2018, I visited Lisbon, and when I transferred the videos that I captured at Lisbon, I had to correct them 1 hour back.
So that makes me think that, this issue is like disorientation (I couldn't find the right word) of time zone settings between GoPro and other devices. (But why only at videos? Why not also at photos, that's an interesting part too)

Now, It's time for hero 7
But will be the same issue go on?
I hope not...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @drsea

Thank you for sharing your observation. We will forward this to the team in addition to the information that we have already provided before. The team is aware of the issue and we have yet to hear from them as to an update or a fix. We will definitely keep you posted once we hear back from them. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

I just wanted to add that I'm experiencing the same issue, where the imported clip times don't match the "Date Created" on the source memory card.  Displaying the "Info Cluster" in Quik's gauges show's the correct date, but incorrect time.  In fact, I'm not sure where the timestamp metadata is located which the gauges are reading from, since they don't match up with imported clip "Date Added" or "Date Modified" - from what I can tell the time difference is 7 hours which aligns with my timezone GMT -7 (during daylight saving time)

Hero5 Black - latest firmware

GoPro Quik 2.7.0.874

macOS 10.13.6

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 4.16.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 4.18.14 PM.png

Compare it to (accurate) photo file info taken during the same session and imported:

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 4.24.52 PM.png

Tourist

[ New ]

I have a similar problem, but the date is incorrect on the SIM as well.  I have videos I took in July 2018 that are dated 1-1-2016.  Other videos taken the next day are time/date stamped correctly.

I also just today took more video... some of the video is time stamped for today correctly, others are showing as having been taken tomorrow (which unless this is an amazing new time warp feature, dont believe this is possible).  My camera is showing the correct date/time, btw.  Hero 6 Black, latest firmware.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details you shared, @russw47143 . It would be awesome if it was an actual timewarp feature, but no. Our team is aware of, and working towards a fix regarding this issue on time and date settings. We are still waiting for the fix. Please continue to watch out for updates. Best regards!

Tourist

[ New ]

Ok great!  Appreciate the update.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Im having the same problem importing using Lightroom onto a Mac. Date/time for photos is correct but for mp4 it is (todays) date/time of import. It means my 6 weeks worth of holiday photos/video are going to be horribly out of order on my computer and hopelessly useless for making holiday movies etc!!

Hiker

[ New ]

I have a date/time issue with the HERO 6 BLACK. On my camera under preferences the date and time is correct, but when i record a video and view 'my media' on the gopro app, the day kept being offset by 1 day ahead.

After doing some tests by manually adjusting the time, I have come to the conclusion that something is causing the time or recroding to be offet from the camera time by +11 hours. I came to this conclusion because when the time on the camera was set to 12am - 12:59pm, the date would be correct on the media on the app, but when the camera was 1pm - 11:59pm, the date would be offset by 1 day ahead.

Anyone else seen this with their HERO 6 BLACK?

Thanks,

Peter

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @peterkilleen,

Have you tried resetting the camera to factory settings or try to install a new firmware manually?

You can do that by following the manualupdate steps here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero6-black

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Jay @jayr3438,

Yes I did both of those things... didn’t fix it. I mentioned this on my own post, HERO 6, MULTIPLE ISSUES, which you provided me insight on.

Now I’m not sure if this is a coincidence... but I’m in Melbourne, Australia. The time zone here is GMT + 11. As I stated my go pro shows the correct time and date, but when viewing on my phone it assigns a date that is 11 hours in front of the time on the camera. It is if the camera takes the time as GMT and my phone knows I’m on GMT + 11 so is offsetting the time to be incorrect.

Maybe someone from the GoPro software engineering team can look into the code for time stamping the media?!

It would be really good if other people with the HERO 6 BLACK on software V02.01 can try the same tests by adjusting the camera time on the came, shoot a short video and go to my media on the app and see if they have the same problems. Then feedback on how much out their camera is in terms of hours and see if it coincides with the time zone they’re on.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks @peterkilleen,

We'll raise that concern. 

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]

@jayr3438

Further update on this timing offset issue... seems to just be a GoPro app issue (I’m on iPhone) - as when I put the SD card in my PC, the creation date and time of all files are correct.

maybe someone can get the software team to look into how the GoPro app is interpreting recorded times. With me being in a GMT + 11 time zone, it seems consistent with my 11 hour offset, so even though the camera time is local time, when viewing on the app, it is interpreting the time as GMT time!

Hiker

[ New ]

In order to replicate something like this I've tinkered with Windows.

My timezone is usually set to GMT.  I have went into the Windows clock and adjusted the time/date.  Setting "Adjust Time Zone Automatically" to off if I then set the Time zone to Norfolk Island (+11) 

I opened up my SD card. The dates seemed correct on the files.  I then copied the files across to the hard drive.

Looking at the datestamp of the files on the hard drive I saw that Windows had now changed the date stams in the following ways:

Date Created - this was set to the time I copied the files across (adjusted for the +11 as the computer now thinks it was tomorrow morning) so all the files had the same date

Date Modified - this was set to the creation time adjusted by the +11 time zone (i.e. 11 hours after they were actually taken)

Date - this was changed to the creation time modified by the time zone correction EXCEPT for the photos.

If I change it to Quala Lumpa (+8) then all files have the same modifications with the +8 hours correction.

If I used Quick to copy the files across the dates ended up modified in exactly the same way.

Looks like this is something to do with Windows

Hiker

[ New ]

And to be fair I tried it on Linux which also changed the Date Modified to the creationb date modified by the time zone offset.

I then tried it with the Yi with a similar result except that instead of adding 11 hours to the modified date it added 7.5 hours.

However checking the Hero 4 under windows gave me the same date and modified date  as on the SD card so it may turn out to be a camera issue after all.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have a Hero 4 Black and I also have always had this same issue.

I also own a Panasonic TM700 Camcorder and it has (since day 1) always transfered the correct dates and times that the videos were taken.

I could right now take a short video clip on my GoPro Hero 4 Black and my Panasonic TM700 then wait until tommorrow morning to transfer these video files from each to my Windows 10 64 bit computer.

The Panasonic TM700 will show the correct Date and Time that the video was created.

My GoPro Hero 4 Black will show tomorrows Date and Time indicating when the file was actually transfeered but not taken.

It is very frustrating!

I think that it is a actual encoding of the video file itself to the SD Card.

Panasonic encodes and locks in the actual Date & Time of every picture and video taken.

Because the only variable of this is the actual devices themselves it IS NOT computer, SD Card related.

I use SanDisc SD cards in both my GoPro and Panasonic Camcorder..64 gigabytes each.

Lastly my Panasonic files are "MTS Files" my GoPro uses MP4 video file.

Is this a MTS vs MP4 Video File Characteristic?

Regards,

Ed B

Hiker

[ New ]
I have the exact same issue described here, with the exception that in my case the time is +1, and I live in the +1GMT.
Still no solution??
What do you guys do? How can this be changed manually at least?
Tourist

[ New ]

I've done some research on file timestamps, and it appears what is happening is a different definition of file timestamps from the GoPro camera and Windows. Assuming you are using an sd card with a modern file system such as NTFS or exFAT, the time can be converted to local time. For NTFS (i.e. a hard drive), it stores the time as UTC, and is then converted to local time to display in file explorer. exFAT, which is common on SD cards, stores the local time and the offset from UTC. If the time is 6:00, and the time zone is -5:00, it will store both of those two values. When you copy the file to an NTFS drive, such as importing from your camera, Windows writes 11:00 to the file, then converts to your computer's time zone to display in file explorer, so it would show 6:00 as long as your computer is in -5:00.

The Media Create date is part of the Quicktime specification for MP4 and MOV files, and specifies that the time is always stored in UTC. However, many cameras like GoPros simply write the local time, rather than converting to UTC. This is somewhat unusual for GoPros since they know the time zone information, so should be able to write this correctly. When Windows displays the time, it assumes it is UTC, converts to local time and that's how we get the incorrect time. So in the above example, rather than the GoPro writing 11:00, it writes 6:00 which is the local time. Windows then displays 1:00 since it is applying the -5:00 offset to 6:00. So in summary, GoPro cameras are not following the specification correctly.

Note:

This is not an issue with photos because the EXIF specification is different regarding the time taken. It specifically does NOT specify the format of the time - it is a tag that can be used however desired. It could be local time or UTC, and does not store a time zone offset (this is similar to older filesystems such as FAT). Windows therefore makes no assumptions about this time, and displays it as stored, regardless of the computer's time zone.

Hiker

[ New ]

It´s quite unbelievable that this problem exists since so long ago and are the users the ones reporting all that information about it, without any fix from GoPro site.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I ran into the same problem and the fix that I found was a simple one.  Simply right click on the coloum heading of the window in which your files are stored. And add the column name "Date Created".  And that should do the trick.  This was for Windows 10.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunately, the Date Created field is mutable - it can be changed unintentionally if the file is copied or moved between computers. This is because it is the date the file itself was created, not the video. On the other hand, the Media Create date is metadata stored in the video under the Quicktime specification. It will not be changed simply by moving the file. In fact, depending on the software used, it could even be preserved if the video is reencoded. This makes it a much better choice for storing video dates.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is just a "trick" to arrange them correctly in Windows, but the problem in the metadata persists. Try to upload them to Google Photos, for instance, and you'll see how they are not correctly arranged, because the GMT data is missing in the metadata.
If I live in a +1 zone and my video is recorded at 17.00, what should be recorded in the metadata is 16.00+1GMT, not 17. If it is recorded like 17, when it is copied to a PC or using any software, it will just assume to local settings, so transform them to 17.00+1=18.00

Tourist

[ New ]

After researching this further, I wrote a program which can fix the timestamps on videos created by GoPro cameras (or any camera which outputs MP4 files and stores the local time rather than UTC).

The program is command line for windows. First, copy "Fix_Timestamps.exe" to the directory where the video you want to fix is located (or add to your PATH variable to use from any directory). To open a Powershell window, hold shift and right click inside the folder where the video you want to fix is (make sure no file is selected). Click "Open PowerShell window here", or "Open command window here" if you're on older versions of windows. Type "Fix_Timestamps.exe [filename] [timezone]" and press enter. [filename] is the video to fix, and [timezone] is the timezone offset where the video was recorded (i.e. -6 for Central time). It will then ask for each track in the video whether you want to change the timestamp. I'd probably change all of them. Please make copies of your videos before using this tool to ensure it has the desired effect. You can also optionally add "-y" to the end of the command to process the video without asking for each track.

Download Here

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here (well, same as SOME of these posts, but not others). My new Hero 7 Black SOMETIMES records the correct date, and other times it is WILDLY off. I shot several videos while skydiving two weeks ago -- all dates were correct (Jan 20, 2019). Shot three more today (same camera, same SD card, all the same), and all were dated Jan 9, 2016 (YES, 2016). 

I had the EXACT same problem with my previous unit, a Hero 4. From digging through these threads, it appears that many people have this same problem, and it's been going on a LLOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time. What does it take to get a fix to this?!?

Others just have the "GMT Offset" issue that gives the wrong timestamp, but the correct DATE. I do NOT have that issue, I just get random dates sometimes, and correct dates other times. 

Come on GoPro -- this is absurd!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

Image for my previous post:

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 19.16.11.png
Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Until there is a fix per GoPro I am not using my GoPro Hero4 Black.

This problem has forever bugged me.

I have a Panasonic TM700 HD Camcorder that keeps the exact "Time Stamp" of Time and Date that the Video was created.

This problem has been with GoPro cameras from the beginning and people just look the other way.

GoPro has had ample time through many GoPro models year after year to correct this issue but they choose not to.

I also do not trust 2nd or 3rd party software fixes.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for your application.
However, I can't manage to make it work. It says that it is not a recognized command.
Any help?

Tourist

[ New ]

Ummmm, what are you referring to, Ragnor ?!?

@ragnor wrote:

Thanks for your application.
However, I can't manage to make it work. It says that it is not a recognized command.
Any help?

Tourist

[ New ]

Very frustrating/annoying/disheartening that GoPro is ignoring these posts...

Tourist

[ New ]

Try "./Fix_Timestamps.exe [filename] [timezone]" (note the ./)

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for your answer. Now it doesn´t give any error, but it doesn´t do anything either:

PS C:\Users\user\Desktop\1> ./Fix_Timestamps.exe GX10825.MP4 +4
PS C:\Users\user\Desktop\1>

Tourist

[ New ]

Maybe you've renamed the video file, but doesn't the default file naming convention have 6 digits after GX, for example GX010825.MP4? The program does nothing as you described if the file does not exist.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for your fast answer!
That was indeed just a type when posting it here. I also tried to rename it as 1.mp4, but still not changing anything.
Am I doing something wrong?

Hiker

[ New ]

Okay, update: what happens if you manually change the extension name?
In my case if I change the .MP4 for anything else, let´s say, .JPEG or .JASDKFJA, the date changes to the correct one.

Tourist

[ New ]
I'm testing the program as well. i cannot make any changes to the file regardless the file extension change.

when open directly, it seems missing the DLL files:
msvcp140d.dll
ucrtbased.dll
vcruntime140d.dll
When install those DLL files, still nothing happened, not any error or anything.
Tourist

[ New ]

Update: alternatively you can use a exiftool to change all date in a Mp4 file tracks without touching the encoding.

1. Download the Exiftool from http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/index.html
  2. this tool works on windows and Mac
  3. Extra tool to local folder, rename the tool to exiftool.exe
  4. run command
    exiftool -*date-=REPLACETIMEZONE *.MP4 -overwrite_original_in_place
    the above command, you need to change the REPLACETIMEZONE to the local timezone you had, for example your local time zome is GMT +10, then use number 10 in the command line like.( if GMT -4, then replace it with -4)
exiftool -*date-=10 *.MP4 -overwrite_original_in_place

-overwrite_original_in_place just an option that doesn't create any additional file. Make sure you backup all the photo and videos before try/test this.

-*date-= just modify all tagging with date name in it, it might not safe to use this.

*.MP4 just to apply those into MP4 exstion file only, so no photos will the touched

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just had the same issue with copying some videos off of my GoPro, but after looking in properties for one of the videos, I found the correct date and time under "Media created", so in Windows explorer I went to the folder to which I had copied my videos and added the "Media created" column (right click in one of the column headings, at the bottom it says "More...", click that, and scroll through to find "Media created").

Of course, this seemed to work, until I looked at the time, which was off by 6 hours! I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm assuming the time associated with the video on the GoPro was either set as UTC or interpreted as that by the computer, and then converted to local time, six hours early. I will look at the GoPro time and date settings to see if the time zone can be set. If not, I may have to look at some way of editing the time or time zone for the video files - perhaps 3rd party software for bulk edits? I hope I don't have to go that route:(