Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Creating a time lapse in photo mode

Hello folks,

I'm not new to photography, but I am new to the Hero 8. I've created timelapses with my DSLR and previous models of the GoPro using Lightroom and Photoshop, but I can't figure this camera out.

I've gone through the camera and its settings and I can't seem to find a way to have the camera take photos every 'X' seconds for 'Y' amount of time (or until I turn it off), which is the traditional way to create a photo set which can then be used to make a time lapse. Obviously, the Hero8 has the Timelapse mode, but it sucks because it doesn't save the individual photos...it just creates the video file on its own, which I don't want.

Is there a way that I've just missed? Hopefully.

Thanks much :)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Creating a time lapse in photo mode

You were most likely in either Time Warp or Time lapse Video. Set the output to RAW and insure video isn't selected in your settings.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

@eatincrayonz, thanks for reaching out. How long were you recording in TimeLapse Photo mode? Also, how are you previewing the TimeLapse photos (e.g. GoPro App, Quik for Desktop)? If you connect the SD card to your computer and access the files from there, are you able to see the individual photos?

Highlighted
Tourist

hey there.

i made several different videos using the hero8, all on the first day i had it. some were recorded over more than an hour...some were only recorded over a few minutes.

as for previewing the files on the SD card, i didn't. i transferred the files to my PC from the gopro using a USB cord and then went about exploring them on my PC (i think i used Quik before discovering how little it can do compared to Studio). sadly, i chose to delete the files from the SD card (a proffered option) after they were imported to my PC, so i don't know if it would have shown something different or not.

that all said, if the camera simply copied the files from the SD card to the PC, would it look any different? aren't the 'time lapse mode' files automatically rendered into a video in the hero8 (i think it's mP4, but i can't remember)?

once they were on my computer, i used Lightroom, LR Timelapse, and several other programs to check it all out. but, all the time lapse sequences came from the hero8 as video files already...there were no individual photos that were imported.

thanks much.

Thoughts?

Highlighted
Explorer

You were most likely in either Time Warp or Time lapse Video. Set the output to RAW and insure video isn't selected in your settings.
Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15, thanks! in the several different times i looked at the setting options, i never realized you could change between photo and video as the output. it would've absolutely shocked me if they had removed the photo output option, so i'm glad it was just my inability to read :)