Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Crazy battery drain in hero 6

@superrange03413
The issue you described sounds like an issue with the battery. It's been reported by other users that it appears that there are two different battery manufacturers supplying batteries to GoPro. One works without issues while the other seems to give issues. This is speculation as far as I know, but it may be what is happening in your case.

SD cards do affect battery life but not in the manner you described. Since the camera scans the card when it is inserted and/or when the camera is turned on and off, if there are issues with the card rapid battery drain and unusual heating of the camera can occur. This isn't unique to the Hero6 or Hero5.

GoPro has never said that the issue you described is, "normal" so I don't know where you are getting that from. Have you contacted the Support Team? I'm surprised if that's what they told you.
Highlighted
Tourist

Absolute rubbish.  The SD card has NOTHING to do with the battery issues.  The 6 is a total POS.  I am now on my second and am considering returning this one too.  The battery readings are totally erroneous and is a widely reported issue that Gopro will not address. 

When plugging in a new battery the charge goes from 95, 97, 94 (never 100) % right down into the 80's without doing anything in a matter of seconds.  Never writes or reads card so your theory is nonsense.  Again, if you do a search you will find hundreds of people experiencing the same.  Btw, I have flashed to the newest update.

This release has no QC and these units are a disaster.

Highlighted
Backpacker

as soon as you put the SD card in you see the red light flicker, so its already doing something with the card from the off. Whether its anything to do with the battery drain I don't know, again I seem to be a lucky one with no issues

Highlighted
Explorer

I have no issues with my Hero6 Black battery either, however I'm not ruling out that there might be certain batteries that do have issues.  It was noted by a member early on when the Hero6 first released that there were two battery manufacturers and that one was not equal in quality to the other.  Pure speculation, but it could be the cause of some people's issues.

As far as SD cards causing battery drain, they absolutely can cause excessive battery drain.  This isn't just with the Hero6 but all GoPro cameras.  When the SD card is inserted the camera scans the card.  If there are any errors/issues or read/write speed problems the camera can get stuck in a loop scanning the card.  Often this is the case when people report both battery drain and unusual camera heating.  Using a recommended card, performing a full format, installing the manual update and then formatting in the camera usually fixes this issue.

Highlighted
Hiker

Frustrating, but actual sales vs problems, probably gopro is not bad qualtiy wise.

Not saying that your prob is card related, but cards CAN be a problem. My old 3+ would get warm, fast drain and or lock up. Swapped the card for a lexar and never had a problem since. Same card carried over to the 4 black and now 5 Black.

I suspect the sandisk card was either a fake or when Sandisk had a problem with thier cards. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

My battery drains in just about 30 minutes. How did you solve this, if you found a solution?
Highlighted
Explorer

Using a recommended card https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations , performing a full format, installing the manual update and then formatting in the camera usually fixes this issue.