Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Couldn't update camera gopro hero5

Hello everyone please help me been trying to update my camera but the window always pop up "Couldn't update camera" 😭😭😭 it's been on for months now. I usually lost patience when trying it again and again. Camera battery is full and other checklist are all ✔.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Couldn't update camera gopro hero5

I have the same problem trying to update my Hero 5 Black on a Mac. Keeps saying update not available, please contact support.

I tried calling GoPro local office in Hong Kong (which is where I live and bought the item) but the telephone line is DEAD!

Highlighted
Adventurer

If  iwere to update a camera. I not use QUick, I not use Wireless I start using the actual webpade to dl off it I get hte manual update.

when you do so simply just unzip the file and drag to a new Folder call it update or UPDATE and then to the driver of the camera or card and load up.  you could be helping out with more info if you want help.

Highlighted
Tourist

@fishycomics

Please help us
Highlighted
Tourist

I'm using the gopro app formerly capture.... can anyone help me please
Highlighted
Adventurer

Sure step by step do a video we’ll figure your issue out
Highlighted
Explorer

If you have a computer and USB/SD adapter, the best way to update is Manually.

Go to this site https://gopro.com/update
Select your camera and then towards the bottom of the page, under other ways to update, select Update your camera manually.
You will need the camera serial number (For cameras with LCD, swipe down>Preferences>About. Most cameras also create a text file on the SD card that has this info. The bottom of the box the camera came in list the serial number. Inside the battery compartment is a sticker with the serial number. Any of these methods is fine).
Download the UPDATE.zip file to your computer
Right click on the file and choose Extract
Extract the file onto your computer (desktop is fine and will make it easy to find)
Using a card from this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations
Insert the card into your computer using the adapter
Locate the card using Windows Explorer (Finder on Mac)
Right click on the card and choose Format (Full, not quick so uncheck this if it's checked)
After the format, find the UPDATE folder that you extracted from the zip folder
Move the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip and not just the files inside the folder) onto the SD card
Right Click the card and choose Eject
Insert your SD card into the camera and then turn the camera on using the side Mode/power button
Highlighted
Nomad

Just to add to @danielr15 instructions above, please esnure that the camera has a good charge, the update will take a couple of minutes and restart the camera, you don't want it running out of power during the update process.