Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Could this be a device fault? Error decoding source file when exporting video from iMovie.

[ New ]

When I export a video from iMovie, I got this error. It happens several times now.

Error decoding source file(-12909)

gopro-imovie-error.png

GoPro

Re: Could this be a device fault? Error decoding source file when exporting video from iMovie.

[ New ]

Hello @yimu. There might be a corrupt frame or clip in the project that causes this rendering error. Do you get the same error with all footage captured by your GoPro?

Also, once you find the corrupted frame or clip, try re-importing the media to see if it'll make any difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Tourist

Re: Could this be a device fault? Error decoding source file when exporting video from iMovie.

[ New ]

Thank you @aenriquez . 

Not all videos. Some of them have this error. Yes, it worked well if I removed the corrupt clip.

I'd like to know what causes this corrupt clip and if it is a device fault.

It's annoying when I am exporting video and it only shows the error at the end of the exporting procedure.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @yimu. Have you been able to try a different media player? Are you able to view the file in question on the camera? If so, see if the file can be accessed or viewed through a different media player. This will help us to further isolate the source of the issue. Let us know how it goes. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks@mariustanya. When I am watching the video, there is no error. I tried VLC and Quik Time Player.

GoPro

[ New ]

@yimu, the problem could also be stemming from either the import or export process in iMovie. I found this thread in Apple's discussion board and the information in it might help.