Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Converting 240fps HEVC to 24fps H264 slow motion

[ New ]

Hi,

I'm using the Hitfilm Express 8 video editor and I would like to import HEVC encoded 240fps footage from the GoPro Hero 6 and use it as 24fps slow motion. Since Hitfilm does not support neither HEVC or 240fps I'm trying to convert the file to H264 as lossless as possible.

I found this page: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/how-to-convert-gopro-hevc-videos-to-h-264-using-handbrake

but this does not seem to do what I want, it produces an output file that is still 240fps but H264 encoded. I want to convert the 240fps HEVC file into a 10 times longer video clip encoded with H264 in 24fps without quality loss. (On a side note, I noticed that when following the instructions on that page the output file was only about 30% of the original file. Is this a sign of quality loss?)

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Converting 240fps HEVC to 24fps H264 slow motion

[ New ]

I was recommended a working solution here using the VirtualDub utility:https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/47371/using-240fps-hevc-file-as-24fps-slow-motion-in-hitfilm-exp...

Works perfectly if you want to import 240fps HEVC GoPro shots into Hitfilm Express.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

EDIT: I doesn't have to be the H264 format, it would be even better if I could convert to some format better suited for video editing.

Backpacker

[ New ]

as you've said, you need to convert the file to 240@h254 using handbrake, then use the exported file from that in your normal editing program to slow it down

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the answer duanem8

The editor I'm using (Hitfilm Express 8) does not seem to handle the output file from Handbrake correctly. When I import the output file into Hitfilm, it is imported as a 60fps file. If I bring up properties on the file in Windows File Explorer, it is correctly tagged with 240fps. Also if I open it in VLC Media player it is 240fps.

Therefore, as a workaround, I'm trying to find a way to simply change the framerate to 24fps (while keeping all the frames and thus making the duration of the clip 10 times longer) and converting to a supported codec (H264 or ideally some non compressed format better suited for editing) before importing into Hitfilm.

I will post the question in the Hitfilm community too.

Tourist

[ New ]

I was recommended a working solution here using the VirtualDub utility:https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/47371/using-240fps-hevc-file-as-24fps-slow-motion-in-hitfilm-exp...

Works perfectly if you want to import 240fps HEVC GoPro shots into Hitfilm Express.