Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Convert 4k 30fps to 60fps

hello,

I use a GoPro Hero 5 Black camera and looking at the possibility of converting recorded files from 4k 30 to 60 fps.

Is this possible?

The files are recorded in 4k, 30 fps wide view, ntsc mp4 format.  I know the camera cannot record in 60 fps so was looking at the idea of using the apps to convert it.

I followed a youtube clip showing how this can be done using GoPro Studio but think i misunderstood its intention as it documents using flux to slow down the clip before conversion.

Either way i had a go but the import file changed to .mov (initial import was mp4) after conversion plus it greatly increased size (4gb to 25 gb for 8 minute clip).  This is before i started export which had not moved much in an hour..

if not might be worth waiting for the fusion.

thanks,

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Convert 4k 30fps to 60fps

The way Studio works is in Step 1 you decompress the mp4 video by converting it to either .avi or .mov for editing. Once the edit is complete you export the file back into an mp4 and delete the decompressed .avi/.mov if you are no longer going to be editing it.

You can increase the frame rate from 30 fps to 60 fps in step 1 when you convert the video, however Flux is not an option until Step 2 where you would need to reduce the speed by half (50%) to get the video back to normal speed, however this will also disable audio. Utilizing Flux smooths the speed reduction. Doing it this way really just brings you back to square one but now with a video without audio and doesn't seem worth the time.

You can use other software as @fishycomics mentioned that allow you to set the output parameters. When you upconvert however, it generally doesn't look very good and can introduce a very unnatural look. While the Yi 4K+ has gotten some mixed reviews when it comes to updates, sound, need for waterproof case, and software, it does have 4K/60fps. Since this isn't some general action camera web site and message board and is instead GoPro's actual web page, I don't think it's very tactful to talk about other competing brands so I'll leave it at that.

The Hero6 and Fusion cameras are coming out soon and might better suit your needs. I'd at least wait until the details are released before throwing your money at another camera, potentially regretting wasting the money and wishing you had just waited.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

I own other and better software, in the render you  you increase the fps. this is called upconverting, or I use my Yi4K+  action camera that does 4k@60 fps

Untitled.png

Explorer

The way Studio works is in Step 1 you decompress the mp4 video by converting it to either .avi or .mov for editing. Once the edit is complete you export the file back into an mp4 and delete the decompressed .avi/.mov if you are no longer going to be editing it.

You can increase the frame rate from 30 fps to 60 fps in step 1 when you convert the video, however Flux is not an option until Step 2 where you would need to reduce the speed by half (50%) to get the video back to normal speed, however this will also disable audio. Utilizing Flux smooths the speed reduction. Doing it this way really just brings you back to square one but now with a video without audio and doesn't seem worth the time.

You can use other software as @fishycomics mentioned that allow you to set the output parameters. When you upconvert however, it generally doesn't look very good and can introduce a very unnatural look. While the Yi 4K+ has gotten some mixed reviews when it comes to updates, sound, need for waterproof case, and software, it does have 4K/60fps. Since this isn't some general action camera web site and message board and is instead GoPro's actual web page, I don't think it's very tactful to talk about other competing brands so I'll leave it at that.

The Hero6 and Fusion cameras are coming out soon and might better suit your needs. I'd at least wait until the details are released before throwing your money at another camera, potentially regretting wasting the money and wishing you had just waited.