Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Control camera through desktop app

I want to control (hit record and then download) multiple GOPro cameras from a PC desktop. Why can't I do this? This seems like a very basic function to have in the desktop GoPro app.

Nomad

Re: Control camera through desktop app

You cannot control a single GoPro camera from your PC desktop, let alone multiple camera's.  The PC app does not support this function.  Also since the GoPro's themselves connect via WiFi, you would need a PC that supports multiple WiFi Connections at once (most PC's only support one WiFi connection per WiFi card at a time), so you would need a PC withmultiple WiFi Cards or USB WiFi connections and and operating system that could handle multiple WiFi connections and appropriate each WiFi connection for an intended use (camera control, internet access etc).  

So controlling multiple GoPro's from the PC app suddenly becomes a lot bigger of an issue.  Now with the GoPro smart remote, it can control multiple GoPro's at once, but that's because it uses an entirely different protocal  not bound by the Windows PC operating system so therefore can handle multiple  connections.  What it cannot do is stream video, change video files etc.

Even the android app can only connect to one camera at a time due to the nature of such connections.  So therefore if you want to control multiple camera's at once, you will need to purchase a smart remote.  

Tourist

Well the other issue I have is that I need the several GB files of videos transferred to a PC for analysis.  So It would have been nice if I could control the cameras and have them conected via USB so I can download the videos. Perhaps will have to look at another camera.

Nomad

You don't need to be able to control the camera to get the files off it.  Simply plug your camera into the PC via a USB cable and import the media via QUIK for windows.  Alternatively remove the SD card from your camera, put it into an SD card reader and import the footage that way (which is the preferred method as it's quicker).

Feel free to explore other camera options if you wish, I'm not aware of any action camera that can be controlled via a PC that has the same specs or abilities of the GoPro cameras.

GoPro

@javierf01552, while camera control through a desktop app isn't an available feature in the camera, you can import your media contents to your computer using a few different ways. Check out the following articles for more information:

Tourist

Thanks for your help.

The Sony RX0 can be controlled via a desktop program and it has a 1" sensor (better low-light perfomance). Although the GoPro is cheaper and the menu seems simpler in the device app.