Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Continuous looping across power cycles should be possible - is it? Dashcams must be able to do that.

[ Edited ]

I bought this Session camera to use as a dashcam. That's the only reason. So far I haven't been able to set it to work in _true_ looping mode, like every other dashcam does. Real dashcams always have a mode called looping where they will record separate files a set number of minutes long, and delete the oldest so that they can continue. But despite having the "looping" setting turned on, the Session's SD card becomes full and it refuses to record more. Worse, since there is no option to format the SD on the camera's menus, I'm forced to then connect it to the app (which, by the way, should not be popping up ads in my face, I already gave you money) to format it, or use my PC.

The small battery in this thing means I can't just keep it on while I'm out making deliveries. It's extremely inconvenient to drop everything to clear out the SD card. It's also ruined my plan of modifying the front of my motorcycle to permanently install it hooked up to power, because it looks like I'll have to always be able to remove it.

So my question is; have I got it right, that you actually made this cameras so that looping across power cycles is impossible, or is it actually possible? If not, then it has no "looping mode" and it shouldn't be called that. If it is possible, please tell me how, because I can't figure it out.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Continuous looping across power cycles should be possible - is it? Dashcams must be able to d...

Hello @loyalpeak32035,

The looping feature is available on HERO / HERO4 Session and HERO5 Session cameras.

If at some point this feature isn't working as expected, here's a couple of things that you may want to check:

• What SD card are you using? Using a recommended SD card helps users maximize the optimum functionality of the camera.
  • What looping interval settings is setup on your camera? The interval determines the approximate length of video that you'll have after you stop recording. 

In addition, here's an article that explains how you can best utilize the feature on your camera: How Does Looping Work?

Hopefully this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Ann

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Continuous looping across power cycles should be possible - is it? Dashcams must be able to d...

The looping is working as designed. Each time you stop recording, that file is saved and only the remaining space on the card is available for future loop recordings. Each time you stop recording, the amount of available space will be reduced until the card is full.

I understand what you are describing, and it makes sense that cameras that are designed to be dash cams will overwrite previously saved media. That is not how the Session is designed. It is an action camera. It is assumed that whatever has been saved is intended to be saved until the user offloads the media and/or deletes/formats the SD card.
Highlighted
Tourist

Right. That's exactly what I was afraid of. That is universally not what looping mode is. Check with any other manufacturer of any other camera, right down to the cheapest $20 action cameras on eBay, ever single one of them will feature a REAL looping mode that actually _loops_ over the old recordings. Every CCTV DVR in every mini-mart does it that way, too, every audio recorder, data logger, etc. Trying to a baked-in bug / design flaw as a feature is arrogant nonsense. I doubt more than a handful of people out of thousands actually want the looping feature not to actually loop. Look at all the confused, frustrated posts on this board alone.

Now, it should be a relatively trivial change to the firmware to make it work properly, but since gopro has apparently dug in, obstinantly refusing to do it, I'm going to have to go do your dev's jobs for them. There's a gopro hacks group on Reddit, they're helping me customize a build of the firmware to fix this BS.

Highlighted
Tourist

How it goes? It didn't. Read a post before you reply, Ann.