Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Connecting more than one phone to a GoPro 9

[ New ]

So my wife and I have always shared a GoPro, we've owned the HD, 3, 5, 6, 7, and now the 9.

Currently on the 9 we are having the issue that only one phone can connect to the GoPro's WiFi without going through the full 'add a device process'.

We are not trying to connect at the same time, I'm meaning that if I connect to the Gopro and download photos / videos and then later, or another day my wife wants to connect (with her phone), she can't. Unless she goes through the full 'connections > connect a device > gopro app' connection process on the camera and the android app. Likewise I have to do the same to connect to the GoPro after she's made a connection. It seems like the camera is only remembering 'the last phone' if that makes sense?

We are not choosing to 'reset connections' or anything like that, so it should 'remember' both of our phones as we never had this issue with the GoPro 5, 6, or 7. We always shared and once both of us had connected our phones we could both easily connect as needed.

Is this a known issue?

Our phones are:
- Samsung Galaxy S9+
- LG G6
- both using the latest android and gopro software available to each.

Nomad

Re: Connecting more than one phone to a GoPro 9

[ New ]

I haven't experience this one yet.  I've shared my GoPro 4, 6, 8 and Fusion on my wife's phone, my phone and tablet and haven't experience this.  I have my GoPro Hero 9 set up on my phone but not my wife's phone yet.  I'll give this a go tonight and see if I can replicate the issue.  However in the meantime can you confirm the following:

Android Version and App version on all devices.

Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry for the delay,

Samsung S9+:

Android Version 10

GoPro App Version 7.3.2

LG G6

Android Version 9

GoPro App Version 7.3.2

How did your tests go?

Nomad

[ New ]

So interesting result!

The GP9 is already paired to my phone so no issues there.

So I paired the GP9 to my wife's tablet, did the setup and all that, no issues.

I then disconnected from my wife's tablet and went to reconnect to my phone and got the "not found" message.

I rebooted my phone and camera and was still unable to connect on my phone.  

So I didn't delete the camera from my phone, instead I went into the camera and selected the "connections" and "connect to app" and then went through the motions of setting up a new a new camera via the GoPro app (all without deleting the current camera info).  Lo and behold it found the camera and set up the connection again under the current camera listed.

Logged out of app, turned back on wife's tablet, was able to connect to my camera.  Went back to my phone, was able to connect to my camera.  I was able to switch back and forth between devices without issue.

It's strange I had to jump through that hoop.  So here's my strange theory.....

The camera uses a single bluetooth connection at a time (no surprise there), so whichever device it last connects to, the connection is basically hogged by that device  (some devices will ping a bluetooth device to keep that connection active, this is why there are reports of camera's that suddenly start up by themselves).  The way around this is to set up a 2nd bluetooth connection to the device and this is done, not by deleting the camera, but instead leaving the current camera connection there in the app and setting back up the connection again.  This results in you having 2 seperate bluetooth connections for the camera, 1 on each device.  So if you connect with phone 1 and you have no issues.  Then disconnect phone 1 and on phone 2, open the app and without deleting the current camera, put the camera in pairing mode and set up a new camera in the app on phone 2.  It should detect your current camera and connect and you won't have connection issues again.

That's my theory anyway and all I can think of to explain my experience.  So try the above method (it's better than having to delete and set up the connection every single time).  

Let me know how that works.

For this test I was using a

Samsung S10

Android Version 10

GoPro App Version 7.3.2

&

Samsung S3 Tablet

Android Version 10

GoPro App Version 7.3.2