Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Condensation inside camera lens of hero 8 black

[ New ]

Hi,

I bought  Hero 8, thinking / hoping that on the assembling line, there is no presence of water in the air between the lens and the protective glass.

I use my Hero 8 on a flying wing, flying over the summits, trying to get best videos/pics. Unfortunately, when the wing got over there, there was a condensation ring that ruined my video - see the pic below. The ring is on the inner part of the protective glass, it is condensation from the water vapors contained between the lens and the protective glass. How can I solve this problem? Now the glass cannot be removed.

vlcsnap-2020-01-23-16h22m59s326.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Condensation inside camera lens of hero 8 black

[ New ]

Open your camera, remove the battery, and leave the battery door open.  Make sure the camera is in a dry environment with low humidity.  That will dry out the camera and all it's componant parts.

If this continues to be an issue I would suggest putting your camera in a dive case and putting condensation absorbers in the case with the camera.

View solution in original post

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @florine868

Please open the door and leave it open if you have silica gel that would be much faster. 

-Jay

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Open your camera, remove the battery, and leave the battery door open.  Make sure the camera is in a dry environment with low humidity.  That will dry out the camera and all it's componant parts.

If this continues to be an issue I would suggest putting your camera in a dive case and putting condensation absorbers in the case with the camera.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @florine868

Please open the door and leave it open if you have silica gel that would be much faster. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

Using a dive case is out of the question - low weight is crucial for a flying object. Thank you for the other options.

Tourist

[ New ]
I wonder whether placing the camera insidea a vaccum chamber will to the trick. Unfortunately, when it gets out, it'll encounter the same 1 bar pressure with normal humidity, and steadily it'll go inside it. And when up there, at low temperature and pressure - condensation again. I'll opt to transport/keep the camera inside a box with silica gel, keeping the pre-existing air in the camera as dry as possible.