Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

I am trying to download to PC as well from my Hero4 Silver with Windows 10 and I have no recognition either. I clicked on the link and it says to register my camera. That is fine, but when it says I need one more registration number than my camera has, that is a problem. :) 

Anonymous

Re: Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

I have been having the same issue with my GoPro Hero 3+ (black). I cannot detect it on my personal laptop (using Quick s/w or in Explorer), but using the same setup (cable and GoPro), I can see the camera show up on my work laptop. This is wierd.

GoPro Community Manager

If you're connecting the camera to the laptop by a cable, you'll want to make sure you're using Quik for Desktop to import the content. You'll also want to make sure the camera is on for the sync to start.

You can also import directly from the SD card by inserting the SD card in your computer (usually with an adapter).

Sightseer

I used a different Cable I had around the house and it worked!!! Go figure.
Sightseer

Hey guys,

This windows article solved my issues with my GoPro Hero 4 Silver on Windows 8.1 x64 bit.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/after-installing-a-driver-upda...

Sightseer

No, although this subject sounds resolved because the last poster found a problem with his cable, the problem is Not really resolved. It seems that after all this time, GoPro has Not stepped up to actually resolve this. When I contact them, they get back to me, ever so politely, may I add, but only with the same stuff they have on this Support Hub.

Mine is the same way, there is something amiss with the GoPro cameras not correctly giving the USB info that the computer needs to recognize it. It's not the wire is bad, but of course It could be bad sometimes, not just trying something is Not a solution. That is why they cop out at the end, "On well, just remove the card to get the data". 

Very disappointed with this balony from GoPro. Why do they think we are so dumb?

Youv'e even sent me a new camera free that had just pasted it's warranty. Very nice and polite = yes. But when get same results with your new replacement camera, different cables, different cards that all work fine connected directly in, different computers, with different Windows versions, it Is Nothing else but poor techincal expertise that is the root of the problem. Come on GoPro, own up to the fact that your camera by itself is Great, but completely unusable connecting to a computer.

Disappointed customer.

Sightseer

So I just bought this new HERO5 SESSION and it would not connect to my computer. I already had a HERO4 SESSION connected wich worked fine. But the problem with the HERO5 was that it for some reason needed more power, so I tried to shut of the fans on my pc wich is connected to the usb ports and then my HERO5 showed up on my pc. So in my case the problem was that the gopro didn't get enough power. Before turning of the fans the gopro would show the usb icon for a couple of seconds and then just start to charge. So for anybody else try unplugging any other usb devices and see if it works.

Sightseer

I found out I must use the GOPRO USB cable. A regular USB won't work, the computer won't recognize the camera

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd definitely suggest either trying to GoPro cable that came with the camera or try to find a different one. It looks like some cables might not pass all the right wires through as they are intended only for charging. That was the issue in my case.