Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

I'd definitely suggest either trying to GoPro cable that came with the camera or try to find a different one. It looks like some cables might not pass all the right wires through as they are intended only for charging. That was the issue in my case.

Anonymous

Re: Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

I am using the cable provided with the camera and used other cables as well. The camera goes into usb mode then back to preview mode when plugged in the computer. Im using dell XP 17 i7 processor with Win10 OS.
Anonymous

Here's another silly question: Have you tried different USB ports? 

After that, I give up, hopefully the GoPro folks will be able to help you.

GoPro

@Anonymous

Here are some steps I would say to try:

1) Try another computer for testing purposes. 

2) Update update update.

-You can update your camera HERE

-Make sure to run any and all applicable updates to your computer in Windows Updater. Having upgraded to Windows 10 may have left you with more updates to complete with the new OS now being installed. 

3) Try another cable even though you're using the one in the box. 

4) Try using a different SD card in the camera to see if it transfers any better that way. 

Let us know how that goes!

Anonymous

This solved my problem. Thanks for posting. Apparantly some of these cables are missing a data lane.

Tourist

Having the same issue, however, it will connect and download videos if i remove the battery! I will buy another battery to test but this seems really odd. It does this regardless of cable.

Anonymous

Thanks! This helped me solve my problem! The cable would charge the camera so I thought it was good but when i read your post i tried a different cable and it worked like it was supposed to!

Anonymous

I am having troubles connecting my Hero4 to my PC with Windows 7 64bit. When I connect the Hero4, I see the 'USB connected' message on the camera screen, but the APP on the computer still doesn't find the camera. No troubles connecting the camera to my Android phone.. ONLY the PC..