Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous

Re: Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

Well this is a little embarrassing. I found the problem, and it's simple: Apparently the USB cable that I was using was defective. I switched to a different USB cable and now my camera is visible. I do want to mention that even the "defective" cable apparently allows the camera to charge (you can see it on the front LCD), which is definitely a bit misleading.

I am having a different issue with GoPro Importer not being able to pull in the files from the camera directly, but I've opened a seperate ticket in the Studio section of the forum and hopefully someone can help me there.

View solution in original post

GoPro

Re: Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

@Anonymous

Here are some steps I would say to try:

1) Try another computer for testing purposes. 

2) Update update update.

-You can update your camera HERE

-Make sure to run any and all applicable updates to your computer in Windows Updater. Having upgraded to Windows 10 may have left you with more updates to complete with the new OS now being installed. 

3) Try another cable even though you're using the one in the box. 

4) Try using a different SD card in the camera to see if it transfers any better that way. 

Let us know how that goes!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hey damienw0163, 

Can you give us some more details about your case? For example, what kind of computer are you using and what steps have you tried to get it to recognize the camera? 

You'll want to make sure you turn the camera on once plugged into the computer. Then it should stop showing the red light and instead show a USB symbol on the screen. 

Keep in mind also that the HERO4 Silver is recognized as a digital camera on the computer, not a mass storage device, so it's not just going to pop up as a removable disk the same way as if you were to put the SD card in directly. You'll have to use GoPro Studio, Windows Explorer (if you're on a Windows) or Image Capture (if you're on a Mac) to view and import the camera content. 

If you happen to have a Mac, I want to point out that iPhoto/Photos doesn't always import the camera content in a format that can be used with GoPro Studio, so I typically recommend using either GoPro Studio, Windows Explorer, or Image Capture to handle footage. 

Does that help?

Anonymous

I'm having a similar problem as damienw0163, I'll try to give my details:

I'm using Windows 10 with a Dell Inspiron 3847. This is a Core i5 with 8GB of RAM running at 3.10GHz. (Not exactly a burner for video editing, but good enough for my purposes). I am running WIndows 10.

Here's what happens: The camera is turned on, I plug it in and on the front LCD screen I see the USB symbol and the "charging" moving icons for about 2 seconds, then the screen goes back to regular mode. If I look at the rear screen, it says "USB connected, camera files accesible" for about 2 seconds then goes back to normal preview mode.

I've tried rebooting several time with no change.

The device isn't visible in WIndows Explorer, and I can't see it when importing from Studio. Importer apparently doesn't see the camera.

What are my next steps?

Anonymous

Well this is a little embarrassing. I found the problem, and it's simple: Apparently the USB cable that I was using was defective. I switched to a different USB cable and now my camera is visible. I do want to mention that even the "defective" cable apparently allows the camera to charge (you can see it on the front LCD), which is definitely a bit misleading.

I am having a different issue with GoPro Importer not being able to pull in the files from the camera directly, but I've opened a seperate ticket in the Studio section of the forum and hopefully someone can help me there.

GoPro

I'm glad you found the fix! I just wanted to point out that you mentioned that cable could charge the camera since you saw the battery moving on the front screen. This can be a bit confusing, but for you and anybody else looking at this post I just wanted to point out that the proper way to charge the camera is with nothing on the screen and the red LED lit up. 

If you see the battery moving, the battery is being sustained but the camera is also turned on so it may not actually be charging, rather remaining with a consistent battery level. If the battery level does increase during that time, it at least is not a very effective charge. 

Just hoping that tip helps!

Anonymous

Thanks for the clarification. I have an external charger so I'd normally been charging that way but using a "known good" cable when I plug in to a USB charger I do see exactly what you mean, that the red light is on.

Thanks!

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. When i plug my gopro on my computer it is not recognised. However, the camera does charge. I'm using the cable supplied in the box.

GoPro

There must be some kind of connection established if the camera is charging. Have you tried with another cable just to see? Any Mini USB cable should work for the HERO4.

Also, what kind of computers are folks using, and do the cameras go into USB mode (show the USB symbol on the screen) when you plug it into the computer and turn it on?