Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

@sweetboss68438, I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem! @loyalwater6686 and at anybody else following this thread, the key in any of these situations is to lock down what the components involved are, test to see where the problem is coming from, and apply fitting solutions. In a case like this:

Components: 

-Camera

-SD card

-Files on the card

-cable

-computer

-Desktop App

Tests to run:

-Try plugging SD card into the computer directly to see if the App will recognize it. 

-Try transferring the footage manually from the card, reformatting the card, and then testing again.

-Try a different cable.

-Try a different computer. 

-Restart the computer.

-Try turning the camera on BEFORE plugging into the computer and then try plugging it in with the camera turned off, turning it on AFTER it's plugged in. 

-Uninstall and reinstall the App.

-Find the App in Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and shut it down from from the Processes tab.

-Make sure that your computer's operating system is up to date and all updates are performed to its components

-Run a manual update to the camera, even REinstalling the firmware to see if that makes a difference.

*as you can see, all of these tests shed light on what component the problem may be stemming from. 

Please let us know if that helps! Hopefully those ideas will help anyone else who may be having a problem as well!

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Computer does not recognise my go pro (hero 4 silver) when trying to download photos

It hink the issue is now resolved. Since the gopro would freeze trying to connect via USB and would not download files with the battery installed (fine with no battery), i assumed it was a power issue. I picked up a powered USB 3.0 hub from Amazon and now it connects perfect every time. It seemed to be drawing too much current from the PC USB port and couldnt charge AND transfer data at the same time.

I still dont know if this is a GoPro defect or something about laptops. I tried this on several different laptops with the same result.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jamesk4355

I'm glad to hear that that solution is working for you. It may also be an issue having to do with the cable. Or it could have to do with the ports of the computer too. Sometimes the USB ports on the back of the computer can be more reliable than the ones on the side. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Cables were the first thing i checked. I have an endless supply and all were the same. There are only a couple USB 3.0 ports on the laptop, likely all to the same USB controller.

I believe there was a peripheral that i purchased off Ebay that may have damaged the USB power supply, this is speculation as i have no way of testing.

Seems that the Gopro is just sensitive to power issues when connected via USB.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jamesk4355

Just to clarify, a cable issue doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with the cable. It may also mean that the cable is of a different design and only supports charging rather than data transfer (or only one at a time). If all the cables you've tried are the same, such as from a set, then it could be something with the design of those cables. A 5-pin MiniUSB cable would be the kind you would want to use, it and might be worth a try to see if it works better on any USB 2.0 ports. 

Just some thoughts, though if it is working for you by using the USB 3.0 hub then that is fine too. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

buy a mac.  i am having the same problem.  i have a mac and a pc.  the mac works fine.  the windows system is a waste of money.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm so glad you shared this quick fix, because I had the same exact issue! It would show that it was hooked up and charging on the GoPro, but no action was taken on my PC. I was chatting with help desk, and they could not figure out what was wrong, and luckily I stumbled across your post. I tried a different USB chord and Wallah! It worked! Thanks for sharing!

Highlighted
Tourist

This happened to me today while attempting downloading all my photos and videos from cameras, when I connected the Hero5 black to my Macbook pro to download the videos with Quick application the camera was not showing a being recognized or detected, after changing the cables, turning the GoPro off and on, closing and opening the Quick app, did some research and tried some of the tips found on this post, but still had the same issue, the camera was not showing. I started closing some of the applications i had open and when i closed Adobe Lightroom my GoPro immediately appeared in Quick application.

I"m not sure this is the case to some of you, but wanted to share my experience to see if it helps anyone.