Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Comparing Hero6 vs Hero5, Hero4, Session, Hero3+, Hero3, Hero HD

One other thing that should be noted. When I exported the video I used Adobe Premiere Pro YouTube 4K setting. It's a much lower bit rate. I thought it might keep the video playback looking more true to what I see when watching directly and not streamed. Watching the video streamed, I'm thinking this was not the best choice. I need to play around with different export settings but YouTube is not doing the Hero6 justice.
Nomad

Yeah YouTube can be a bit rough on the compression, Vimeo is superior but really requires a subscription to get the most out of it. If I were you I would edit premiers profile and have the bitrate set high then gradually reduce it on a private video to find the sweet spot. Ripples and foliage cause huge issues when a compressed lossy codec is used.

Explorer

Most of my videos are done for private use (mostly weddings and events) so usually when I throw something up on YouTube it's just for fun or to save a family moment.  I used to use vimeo exclusively, but the free version with the weekly GB limit led me to stop using it.  I usually don't mind the YouTube compression/video quality because it doesn't really matter to me for these videos.  However, in this case where I want to show the quality of the Hero6 it makes me cringe.  I don't even like watching these videos because they look so much worse than what I can see on my computer or when played back on my 50" TV.

Highlighted
Explorer

@fishycomics

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on the YouTube video.  Good or bad, it's nice when people take the time to let you know their thoughts.