Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Combine files - question back again

[ New ]

Hello guys,

the question is back since many days I am trying to figure it out. GoPro Hero 8. I simply want to record my own concert. Leave the cam in one place for 40-45 minutes, record it in 4K, copy file(s) into my computer and without any move just share it on my YouTube. GoPro doesn't help. It cuts recording each 4GB (about 5 minutes). Ok, no problem. But problem is: I can't (re)render it on my computer. I am simply using old MacBook which was few times in the service when I wanted to render some videos on Adobe Premiere Pro (graphic card was boiled, etc.) = I can't do any processing. Why it's so hard to give by GoPro simple solution "ok, here you have an app, we will merge your files without render... just few files into one file". I checked few apps but they are expired (not this codec, like H.264 and not H.265) or need render file (what can't be accepted).

Do you have any solution, how to merge, combine those files into one, fast and without render it again?

Or how to "push" cam to not split files - just record one, big file which I'd be able to simply download from the cam and send to YouTube?

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Combine files - question back again

[ New ]

Your files are being split by your GoPro to protect them, it's called "Chaptering".  This means if there's a read/write error that causes data loss, only a small segment is affected.  If you try to record your whole 45 minute concert and there's a read write error (and it's one file) then you would lose everything.  Most people can use a simple video editor to join them back together if they want.  You're trying to join them together in a very advanced video editor that sounds like it won't run on your laptop.  So upgrade your laptop.

There's another solution that may work but you run the risk of losing the entire footage AND having a huge file size...

Use the GoPro labs firmware on your GoPro Hero 8:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Labs/ct-p/GoProLabs

You can then increase the chapter size from 4gb to 12gb (although you will need an SD card reader to transfer the files)

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/chapters/

I don't think 12GB will still be large enough given your recording time but it's the closest thing you will be able to do.

GoPro simply can't do a single file recording for the event you want simply because it exceeds the camera's o/s capabilities.  So for what you want (record whole concert without using a video editor to join the files) you're simply using the wrong tools for the job.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

Your files are being split by your GoPro to protect them, it's called "Chaptering".  This means if there's a read/write error that causes data loss, only a small segment is affected.  If you try to record your whole 45 minute concert and there's a read write error (and it's one file) then you would lose everything.  Most people can use a simple video editor to join them back together if they want.  You're trying to join them together in a very advanced video editor that sounds like it won't run on your laptop.  So upgrade your laptop.

There's another solution that may work but you run the risk of losing the entire footage AND having a huge file size...

Use the GoPro labs firmware on your GoPro Hero 8:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Labs/ct-p/GoProLabs

You can then increase the chapter size from 4gb to 12gb (although you will need an SD card reader to transfer the files)

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/chapters/

I don't think 12GB will still be large enough given your recording time but it's the closest thing you will be able to do.

GoPro simply can't do a single file recording for the event you want simply because it exceeds the camera's o/s capabilities.  So for what you want (record whole concert without using a video editor to join the files) you're simply using the wrong tools for the job.  

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you so much @irishmanpdx . Now at least I understeand, what's going on.

Today I got also one tool which I think, I can recommend for make that simple editing (combine / split) WITHOUT rendering, lost quality and actually temperature of my computer is almost the same (it means - GPU / CPU isn't working, maybe just disc for write/read). The name is LoslessCut (on App Store) and I think, it's the best way also for other people who has this problem.

I will also try to change my firmware for to have a little bit bigger files. Becuase GoPro is good for to record concerts since it has wide lens - that's why I use "action cam" for that things.

Thanks again!!