Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Combine Several video captures and retain GPS data

I recorded about 1.5 hours of video and the camera broke them down to 17 minute files.  How do I combine them into 1 long video and retain the GPS data?  I would like to do the overlays and have them show as 1 contunious event, such as the path traveled as 1 complete circuit.

Thanks,

Thomas

GoPro

Re: Combine Several video captures and retain GPS data

Hello @iflyppgnm

Checkout the articles below on using gauges in Quik for Desktop and overlaying telemetry in Dashware: 

1. DASHWARE: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-to-Overlay-Telemetry-from-GoPro-Cameras-in-Dashware
  2. QUIK: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Use-Gauges-in-Quik-for-Desktop

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

@mariustanya no that doesnt answer anything.  Did you even read his question?  

Long recordings are split into shorter videos.  How do you merge the videos to have one continuous GPS track instead of a gps track limited to each split video?

Tourist

Hey i found a solution and wrote a blog post for everyone else.  Let me know if this works for yah.

GoPro really dropped the ball on their software and thats why everyone is leaving them.  Great cameras... horrible software

https://wordpress.com/post/hellomihai.wordpress.com/630

Tourist

Sightseer

I have tried the solution posted by hellomihai, but that didn't work for me: Dashware tells me it failed merging GPS data, it doesn't show the merged video, and it crashes if I try exporting the video.

I've tried RaceRender: no success.

I've tried MP4Joiner: no success.

I've tried Sony Vegas: no success.

GoPro Studio has been discontinued, so that's not an option.

Quik is what it is: a little tool for home-users to create short videos. Not what I need.

I am beyond frustrated with my GoPro Hero 7. The video quality is outstanding, no question about that. However, that is worthless for me. I use my camera for motorcycle track days. I want to have 1 video file per track session (roughly 20 minutes), containing gauges and track map powered by the camera's GPS data. I simply can't find an easy and reliable way to do that.

If I can't find a solution for this, I'll have to return this camera, which at the moment is useless for me. It really makes me regret having treaded in my Sena Prism to get this GoPro for $300. I'm very, very disappointed.

GoPro

Hi @redsand31551

I am sorry for any troubles caused and thank you for the information shared.

You may contact our Support Team for further assistance. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

If you wish to return the camera, please refer to the same store/channel you purchased it from.

Regards,

Ej

Adventurer

you have 1.5 hr of video 17 per chapter.... say 5 files..  go open quick go take chapter 1 and addwhat you like.  and render the file.   it creates   say gopro_0001, gopro_0001(01)    it does not over write the original.  so what you have is the original file and your overlay.  Understanding you want all 5 Files with one video and one shot overlay not making a mistake to be bigger or smaller or incorrectly positioned. that I understand.

that will be the free way of doing it

Original does not get erased the  rendered gets overlays  all you need now to do is   addto your editor and be done guessing how it works.