Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Combine Several video captures and retain GPS data

I agree, hardware is good but software is crap, could you mod the script to work with the 5 Black?

Highlighted
Tourist

Interesting, so if you combine (and accumulate) the CSV files it generates, it will work?

I'll write up an app for myself if that's the case, as I've got a HERO 7 Silver, not Black... (I also found a script somewhere that extracts this data from the .MP4 file, using ffmpeg, maybe, just maybe, it would be possible to use ffmpeg to combine them all back together, including bring in the GPS metadata that has been properly incremented...)

As with everynone else, I find it utterly ridiculious that GoPro have such poor software, that we're resorting to writing our own programs to put back together the files their camera breaks up... If they're going to do that, at least have software to put it back together. Just pathetic really.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

I tried the program to merge CSVs, and unfortunatly it does not work for me. The program well creates an output CSV file, but then I have error messages and the program crashes. The out put CSV file seems to be exactly the same CSV as the first I want to merge.

I tried with 2 and 3 CSV files, both crash :-(

I have a Hero black 6 and use windows 10

Highlighted
Tourist

The app was something I threw together for myself. If it works then great, if not then I'm sorry but I don't have the time to support it or make it work for other models. I can document what I did though, it may help other people.

First, you need to make sure that you have copied the Gopro GPMF profiles from the Quik install into the Dashware folder. Without this, Dashware is unable to parse / extract the telemetry properly. There are other posts on this forum about that, I don't have the link now but a quick search will find them.

When you look at the Dashware extracted CSV you will see something like 80 columns of data. Some of those are snapshots, eg GPS position and orientation. Some of them are accumulated, eg distance travelled or total descent. 

The trick when combining the telemetry is to identify the accumulated columns and add the value from the last row of the previous file to them when you are combining them. (actually add the last accumulated value, which you update at the end of every file so it keeps growing. You get the idea).

That's it - not a complicated problem to solve, but annoying to make universal because the different gopro models have different data with different column headings.

I'll dig out what I identified as the accumulating columns when I get some time later and make a separate post for them. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Here you go, these are the columns that I thought looked like accumulation columns. The other columns I just copied into the merged CSV unaltered.

"GlobalTime"
, "Total Ascent Meters", "Total Descent Meters", "Total Ascent Feet", "Total Descent Feet", "Distance Feet", "Distance Meters", "Distance Miles", "Distance Kilometers"
// hero6
, "Hero6 Black:TICK[Time]", "Hero6 Black:TSMP[Time]", "Hero6 Black:TMPC[Time]", "Hero6 Black:TMPC[0]", "Hero6 Black:SIUN[Time]"
, "Hero6 Black:ACCL[Time]", "Hero6 Black:GYRO[Time]", "Hero6 Black:GPSF[Time]", "Hero6 Black:GPS5[Time]"
, "Hero6 Black:FCNM[Time]", "Hero6 Black:ISOE[Time]","Hero6 Black:ISOE[0]", "Hero6 Black:SHUT[Time]", "Hero6 Black:WBAL[Time]", "Hero6 Black:WRGB[Time]"
// hero7
, "Hero7 Black:TSMP[Time]", "Hero7 Black:TSMP[0]"
, "Hero7 Black:SIUN[Time]", "Hero7 Black:MTRX[Time]", "Hero7 Black:ORIN[Time]", "Hero7 Black:ORIO[Time]", "Hero7 Black:ACCL[Time]"
, "Hero7 Black:GYRO[Time]", "Hero7 Black:GPSF[Time]", "Hero7 Black:GPSU[Time]", "Hero7 Black:GPSP[Time]", "Hero7 Black:GPS5[Time]", "Hero7 Black:ISOE[Time]"
, "Hero7 Black:SHUT[Time]", "Hero7 Black:ALLD[Time]", "Hero7 Black:WBAL[Time]", "Hero7 Black:WRGB[Time]", "Hero7 Black:UNIF[Time]", "Hero7 Black:SROT[Time]"
, "Hero7 Black:TIMO[Time]"
Highlighted
Tourist

That's great information, thanks for sharing! For reference, the Hero 7 Silver has similar columns (maybe not all of them?), but as you might expect, they're prefixed with "Hero 7 Silver" not "Hero 7 Black".
Highlighted
Tourist

Anyone know if this is something on GoPro's radar to include in their desktop software or app (or a plug in for a third party)?  The simplest place to add logic to  maintain the metadata in clips is in the editing software (as opposed to users like us exporting/merting csv data).  Ideally they would add this to the desktop software and app, or possibly provide an Adobe Premier plugin?

Highlighted
Tourist

I first came across all these problems (split files, telemetry, idiot file naming) with the 6, and saw they were all still there in the 7 so I'm not holding my breath. We can hope though!