Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Combine Several video captures and retain GPS data

The update to fix localization is released: https://download.cnet.com/GoPro-Data-Merge/3000-20422_4-78084892.html

If anyone is interested there's a "secret" mode in the app that can display the full grid which allows editing or appending files etc.

The GPS fix feature isn't completely solved yet, what I want to do is remove any data that doesn't appear to be accurate such as at start up before it locks on to a clean signal (I see it jumping around which messes up my map plot) or if you go in a tunnel and it goes crazy. I'm comparing the coordinates from previous points and determining if the change is plausible or not. If not I replace the values with the previous points so the map stays static until data becomes stable again.

gpdm_adv.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@jakobj27034 wrote:

I tried to merge my csv files generated from DashWare, but the merged file only contains time data, nothing else. Any ideas?

@jakobj27034 I had the same issue before, still caused by an incorrect Data Profile in Dashware.

When Dashware is configured correctly with the right "Hero7BlackGPMF.xml" profile then the columns of the exported CSV should look something like this (first row in the CSV file):

GlobalTime,Hero7 Black:TSMP[Time],Hero7 Black:TSMP[0],Hero7 Black:SIUN[Time],Hero7 Black:SIUN[0],Hero7 Black:SIUN[1],Hero7 Black:SIUN[2],Hero7 Black:SIUN[3],Hero7 Black:MTRX[Time],Hero7 Black:MTRX[0],Hero7 Black:MTRX[1],Hero7 Black:MTRX[2],Hero7 Black:MTRX[3],Hero7 Black:MTRX[4],Hero7 Black:MTRX[5],Hero7 Black:MTRX[6],Hero7 Black:MTRX[7],Hero7 Black:MTRX[8],Hero7 Black:ORIN[Time],Hero7 Black:ORIN[0],Hero7 Black:ORIO[Time],Hero7 Black:ORIO[0],Hero7 Black:ACCL[Time],Hero7 Black:ACCL[0],Hero7 Black:ACCL[1],Hero7 Black:ACCL[2],Hero7 Black:GYRO[Time],Hero7 Black:GYRO[0],Hero7 Black:GYRO[1],Hero7 Black:GYRO[2],Hero7 Black:GPSF[Time],Hero7 Black:GPSF[0],Hero7 Black:GPSU[Time],Hero7 Black:GPSU[0],DateTime,Hero7 Black:GPSP[Time],Hero7 Black:GPSP[0],Precision_i,Hero7 Black:GPS5[Time],Hero7 Black:GPS5[0] (deg),Hero7 Black:GPS5[1] (deg),Hero7 Black:GPS5[2] (m),Hero7 Black:GPS5[3] (m/s),Hero7 Black:GPS5[4] (m/s),Latitude_i,Longitude_i,Elevation_i,Speed_i,Elevation Meters,Elevation Feet,Total Ascent Meters,Total Descent Meters,Altitude Min Meters,Altitude Max Meters,Total Ascent Feet,Total Descent Feet,Altitude Min Feet,Altitude Max Feet,Speed KPH,Speed MPH,GPS_X,GPS_Y,Distance Feet,Distance Meters,Distance Miles,Distance Kilometers,Raw Heading,Heading,Raw GPS AccelGs,Raw GPS LatGs,GPS AccelGs,GPS LatGs,GPS 2D Gs,Hero7 Black:ISOE[Time],Hero7 Black:ISOE[0],Hero7 Black:SHUT[Time],Hero7 Black:SHUT[0],Hero7 Black:WBAL[Time],Hero7 Black:WBAL[0],Hero7 Black:WRGB[Time],Hero7 Black:WRGB[0],Hero7 Black:WRGB[1],Hero7 Black:WRGB[2],Hero7 Black:YAVG[Time],Hero7 Black:YAVG[0],Hero7 Black:UNIF[Time],Hero7 Black:UNIF[0],Hero7 Black:SCEN[Time],Hero7 Black:SCEN[0],Hero7 Black:SCEN[1],Hero7 Black:HUES[Time],Hero7 Black:HUES[0],Hero7 Black:HUES[1],Hero7 Black:SROT[Time],Hero7 Black:SROT[0],Hero7 Black:TIMO[Time],Hero7 Black:TIMO[0]

However, if the "Hero7BlackGPMF.xml" profile is not configured correctly then an export is created, but it is missing the crucial standardized & calculated columns. The first row containing the columns looks like this then:

GlobalTime,Hero7 Black:TSMP[Time],Hero7 Black:TSMP[0],Hero7 Black:SIUN[Time],Hero7 Black:SIUN[0],Hero7 Black:SIUN[1],Hero7 Black:SIUN[2],Hero7 Black:SIUN[3],Hero7 Black:MTRX[Time],Hero7 Black:MTRX[0],Hero7 Black:MTRX[1],Hero7 Black:MTRX[2],Hero7 Black:MTRX[3],Hero7 Black:MTRX[4],Hero7 Black:MTRX[5],Hero7 Black:MTRX[6],Hero7 Black:MTRX[7],Hero7 Black:MTRX[8],Hero7 Black:ORIN[Time],Hero7 Black:ORIN[0],Hero7 Black:ORIO[Time],Hero7 Black:ORIO[0],Hero7 Black:ACCL[Time],Hero7 Black:ACCL[0],Hero7 Black:ACCL[1],Hero7 Black:ACCL[2],Hero7 Black:GYRO[Time],Hero7 Black:GYRO[0],Hero7 Black:GYRO[1],Hero7 Black:GYRO[2],Hero7 Black:GPSF[Time],Hero7 Black:GPSF[0],Hero7 Black:GPSU[Time],Hero7 Black:GPSU[0],Hero7 Black:GPSP[Time],Hero7 Black:GPSP[0],Hero7 Black:GPS5[Time],Hero7 Black:GPS5[0] (deg),Hero7 Black:GPS5[1] (deg),Hero7 Black:GPS5[2] (m),Hero7 Black:GPS5[3] (m/s),Hero7 Black:GPS5[4] (m/s),Hero7 Black:ISOE[Time],Hero7 Black:ISOE[0],Hero7 Black:SHUT[Time],Hero7 Black:SHUT[0],Hero7 Black:WBAL[Time],Hero7 Black:WBAL[0],Hero7 Black:WRGB[Time],Hero7 Black:WRGB[0],Hero7 Black:WRGB[1],Hero7 Black:WRGB[2],Hero7 Black:YAVG[Time],Hero7 Black:YAVG[0],Hero7 Black:UNIF[Time],Hero7 Black:UNIF[0],Hero7 Black:SCEN[Time],Hero7 Black:SCEN[0],Hero7 Black:SCEN[1],Hero7 Black:HUES[Time],Hero7 Black:HUES[0],Hero7 Black:HUES[1],Hero7 Black:SROT[Time],Hero7 Black:SROT[0],Hero7 Black:TIMO[Time],Hero7 Black:TIMO[0]

Notice that the following columns are missing, and which are expected by the GPDM tool (all other columns are deleted/not copied by this specific merge tool):

Latitude_i,Longitude_i,Elevation_i,Speed_i,Elevation Meters,Elevation Feet,Total Ascent Meters,Total Descent Meters,Altitude Min Meters,Altitude Max Meters,Total Ascent Feet,Total Descent Feet,Altitude Min Feet,Altitude Max Feet,Speed KPH,Speed MPH,GPS_X,GPS_Y,Distance Feet,Distance Meters,Distance Miles,Distance Kilometers,Raw Heading,Heading,Raw GPS AccelGs,Raw GPS LatGs,GPS AccelGs,GPS LatGs,GPS 2D Gs

The "GoPro CSV Merger" tool does not have this issue (it still merges all existing columns and doesn't remove columns), but the most important columns are still missing, which are used by Dashware, resulting in no visible data in the gauges (or constant 0 values).

What I did to fix this issue (using the GoPro Hero 7 Black running the latest firmware v1.70/23 jan 2019, and the latest Dashware version 1.9.1):

1. Uninstall Dashware completely.
  2. Make sure to delete the following directory if it is still available after uninstall: "C:\Program Files\DashWare\"
  3. Make sure to delete the following directory if it is still available after uninstall: "C:\Users\%username%\Documents\DashWare"
  4. Download the latest version of Dashware (currently 1.9.1) http://www.dashware.net/dashware-download/
  5. If you have GoPro Quik installed, then copy the "Hero7BlackGPMF.xml" file located at "C:\Program Files\GoPro\GoPro Desktop App\telemetrydata\DataProfiles\Hero7BlackGPMF.xml". If you don't have it installed, I found a copy online via this link that worked for me: https://www64.zippyshare.com/v/dheBhIMV/file.html
  6. Paste the "Hero7BlackGPMF.xml" file into the following Dashware directory: "C:\Program Files\DashWare\DataTool\DataProfiles"
  7. Run Dashware.
  8. In the menu go to "File" > "Quick Project Creator" and select your *.mp4 video file (uncheck Copy file to project directory).
  9. At the main screen on the right side under "Input Settings", click the "+" sign next to "Video:" and select your *.mp4 video file.
  10. Next, below this, click the "+" sign next to the "Data File(s):" and select the same *.mp4 video file as you selected above. At "Choose a data profile:" select "GoPro" and click "Add".
  11. In your Dashware project directory ("C:\Users\%username%\Documents\DashWare Projects\" with your project's subdirectory) a CSV file is generated for the video file, which now should contain the missing columns. You can open the CSV file in e.g. Notepad or Excel, and you can search for the text "Latitude_i" to see if column is available now, or is still missing.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Hiker

I ended up buying Racerenderer and i am still not winning.

If i merge 3 videos it is still not showing me total distance.

Can race renderer merge the total distance?

can   GPDM do it?

I am gonna spend more time on this tonight.

Highlighted
Tourist

@hananb03 wrote:

I ended up buying Racerenderer and i am still not winning.

If i merge 3 videos it is still not showing me total distance.

Can race renderer merge the total distance?

can   GPDM do it?

I am gonna spend more time on this tonight.

I've not tried RaceRender myself, too expensive for something that hsould be standard functionality of a camera for my liking, but knowing how GoPor format (read: mangle) their files, I can't see it just working without it being specifically coded to handle it, and I would imagine that would be advertised as a specific feature if ti *could* handle it.

Highlighted
Hiker

So, I've scoured many forums, blogs, etc. regarding the topic of merging GP files and also retaining the metadata.  However, one thing that I don't see, but would like to know, is if there is any mechanism to move the "hilight" markers from the individual files to the merged file?  I would like to see these markers get set in the merged file.  Further, if they could be used and seen as chapter marks by other editing/viewing products, that would be best.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Tourist

I haven't used markers, are these what you get when recording and telling it remember something?

I use my cameras on a motorcycle (sportbike) and have all the voice stuff turned off, so I don't know how they are saved. If it's in the meta data then it would be simple to include it but I don't see how it could be made available to other software.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Yes, these are tags that mark key spots in the video.  They can be placed in the video by the app through touch, the Quik desktop app, or (presumably) through voice as you indicate.  I use the GP camera to video sporting events where my daughter plays.  I mark key plays of the team or plays that she is involved in with these tags so I can easily find this stuff later.

Supposedly, these are "chapter marks" in normal MP4 parlance, but GP may be doing something proprietary or non-standard with them.  I doubt they are being parsed by the Dashware stuff, thus your application isn't probably going to be useful.  But, maybe I'm wrong.

This old thread seems to indicate where/how they are stored.  Not sure if this is still the same today....  https://superuser.com/questions/881661/how-where-does-a-gopro-camera-store-hilight-tags

GoPro, it shouldn't be this hard!

And, thank you so much for your efforts, zaxs!

Highlighted
Hiker

hi everyone,

I have been following this forum very carefully, because I have been working for about 2 months trying the telemetry in my gopro 7, without success.
but today I think I already got it, my need was to put in movies from race car, the altitude, distance, coordinates and the track, I was using Dashwere, but I do not like it, I prefer Virb.
Then I followed these steps:
1-I use the Dashwere to merge the movies

2- as you know the GoPro HERO7 Black camera can store various telemetry data within a photo-video
footage because she has built-in sensors (GPS, accelerometer, compass and gyroscope).
These data can be reached in a few ways and can be used in a variety of ways. so I used this site to extract the GPX file from each footage because I'm going to work with Virb , but it also extracts the CSV if you want
https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

3-then i needed to merge the GPX files, so i use this site
https://joewein.net/bike/gpxmerge/

4-and finaly i open Virb and it works, the program recognizes the telemetry data.
 I'm still on  tests, but it seems to be working

It may not be the best way, but it`s the only one i`ve got.

Please leave feedback

Thanks