Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Combine Several video captures and retain GPS data

I also was looking for a way to combine the GPS data from multiple mp4 files of a gopro fusion camera.

On the SD card of de front facing camera the mp4 files contain the gps data.

The free version of racerender3 can split this data from the mp4 file, but cannot merge multiple files. Probably the paid version can.

I only have 3 files that i want to merge and that gives me 3 dat files in racerender3.

The next command on macbook wil merge these data files.

# cat file1.dat file2.dat file3.dat > combinefile.dat

load the combinefile.dat file in racerender3 without moviefiles and compile the project. next step is edit in adobe premiere or imovie and combine the movie files. It's not the best result, but for me it's good enough.

Highlighted
Tourist

This eventually didn't work for me, because the render time of a movie in the free version has a limit of 3 minutes. After doing some more research I ended up buying racerender3. It's not that expensive and saves me a lot of time. Al lot of people were also very positive about this app. If you want to see the result: https://youtu.be/CL210R53rSg
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi everyone, first message!

got myself a nice, fancy go pro 7 hero black ....was looking forward to the GPS feature, went cycling for 3 hours and ended up with a big mess now.

so i need to merge the data, the file 7 (for example) wont say 0km and will continue from file 6, and that the map will also merge into a nice loop .

can race rendered do that?

Also is there an option not to split the files?my YI camera have that option

Highlighted
Tourist

There is no option to not split the file, that's just how they do things.

File wise, the names are a mess. There is no option to change this either. I ended up downloading a batch rename tool that could apply a regex to wrestle the files into some sort of useful order so that related files would be grouped together.

The rename tool I used was this:

https://www.advancedrenamer.com/

The regex I used to rename the files was this

find: (\D\D)(\d\d)(\d+)

replace: \1\3_\2

It really shouldn't be this hard. But it is, so here we are. 

Gopro rename options.PNG
Highlighted
Tourist

I'd be interested in getting some confirmation that Racerender does handle combining the file correctly, as in handles the accumulation data (and carry over between files) as well as the instance data.

This system is an absolute mess. I can't beleive GoPro have left this fault in their product for so long.

I don't really use my GoPro any more because of this. The feature I want does not work. I've been holding out for GoPro to release a fix for this, but it appears they aren't interested in providing customer support.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I've been using RaceRender for months now. It works great stitching the files together and merging the gps data.

The GoPro software remains useless.

Highlighted
Tourist

Have you ever wished you'd looked at forums before buying a product, well that's how I feel.

I've been using other brands of cameras for recording my motorcycle rides but just "upgraded" to a GoPro HERO 7. I soon discovered their Quik software is total garbage but thought the solution was DashWare. It combines multiple videos but gives the error that data merging.

I tried using marce4453's utlitiy to join the data but it wouldn't work either, so today I decided to write my own application. It's very small (230kB) but requires dot net 4.0 or higher (most computers have this already). It's really simple, just click to load the multiple csv files and then click save, the resulting compacted file can be loaded into DashWare along with the merged video and you'll have the full GPS map and associated speed, altitude data etc.

If anyone else is interested in it I will post the executable to cnet.download.com later. It's called (very creatively) GoProDataMerge or GPDM. It may work with other cameras, it isn't too specific on the header names but without files to test I can't confirm.

Highlighted
Tourist

@zaxs please do share on a WeTransfer/Dropbox/cnet download! Would be very useful.

I have the same problem: merging 2 or 3 files together results in 9 out of 10 times that the GPS data is 'currupt' for some seconds in these few minutes. Even with the CSV merger of marce4453 I have the same problem in Dashware that the telemetry is not recognized (not sure why exactly). 

Maybe your GoProDataMerge application will also be a solution to the issues I run into.

Can you maybe also elaborate on what your merge utility does differently?