Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Charging the gopro 5 black while filming,taking photos

I would like a solution to this. I was charging my HERO 4 while driving for 8 hours a day on my motorbike. If this won't work with the HERO 5 then I will not upgrade.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi folks, 

Although the lightning bolt charging icon may disappear from the battery when charging and filming at the same time, the camera should still be receiving a charge when plugged in. 

Keep in mind that higher resolutions or frame rates could drain the battery more quickly than the battery is able to be charged, but you shouldn't have a problem on standard settings keeping the camera juiced up. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]
@mattb wrote:

Hi folks, 

Although the lightning bolt charging icon may disappear from the battery when charging and filming at the same time, the camera should still be receiving a charge when plugged in. 

Keep in mind that higher resolutions or frame rates could drain the battery more quickly than the battery is able to be charged, but you shouldn't have a problem on standard settings keeping the camera juiced up. 

I can confirm that it appears to continue charging or utilize the external power source as a battery while recording. I purchased a 20$ 5000mah external battery that I'm hoping I can use to extend the life of my gopro 5 black (since there are currently no other options) and it is pulling battery from the external power source, and my camera is still at 89% (what it started at) after 1 hour 18 minutes. I've currently used 30% of my external battery thusfar.

The charging icon DOES DISAPPEAR once you start recording, but chances are that's just a visual bug over anything. I will post more after I run this initial test if something does change.

I'm waiting to see if it will revert to using the internal battery once my external battery dies, and also how well this setup handles in cold weather (-30F - 10F)

Highlighted
Hiker

@qoreycube wrote:
@mattb wrote:

Hi folks, 

I can confirm that it appears to continue charging or utilize the external power source as a battery while recording. I purchased a 20$ 5000mah external battery that I'm hoping I can use to extend the life of my gopro 5 black (since there are currently no other options) and it is pulling battery from the external power source, and my camera is still at 89% (what it started at) after 1 hour 18 minutes. I've currently used 30% of my external battery thusfar.

The charging icon DOES DISAPPEAR once you start recording, but chances are that's just a visual bug over anything. I will post more after I run this initial test if something does change.

I'm waiting to see if it will revert to using the internal battery once my external battery dies, and also how well this setup handles in cold weather (-30F - 10F)

I can confirm that this is indeed a visual bug and does charge/utilize external power sources. I was able to record over 6 consecutive hours with an external 5000mah battery connected via usb-c, and it probably would have continued for another hour or two if my SD card didn't fill up. (during -5 to 4 degrees F during my testing)

Highlighted
Anonymous

Sounds great, but is it possible to charge the Gopro 5 black with a powerbank that outputs 5V 3A? I have read that you should charge it with 5V 1A-2A, but what happens if it is 5V 3A?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @felizm56, 

I wouldn't recommend it. While the camera might charge fine, the recommended value is from 1A-2A. Doing more than that could compromise the battery or the camera. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

But then i don't understand why your supercharger outputs 3A. The camera should handle it if you have made a product that actually outputs more than the recommended value.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Has anyone found a solution? My Hero 5 was charging while filming until the most recent update. Not sure if that killed it for me. Please help GoPro!