Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Charging/powering GoPro Max on motorcycle

I am attempting to power a GoPro max from the USB port (5v 2.3amp) on my motorcycle.

The dmax display indicates that it is charging but the power level drops.

The camera is turned on but is not recording.

If I remove the battery the camera will not turn on.

I have used the same connections to charge/power a session 4 without any problems.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Charging/powering GoPro Max on motorcycle

Ok, all now resolved 

USB was faulty and it appears that the 6v was the issue with the camera 

I contacted Nippy Norman's and they confirmed that the voltage should not be >5.25v

NN have replaced the dual USB and now everything is working 

gopro max is working directly from the usb without a battery 

😁

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @gromitt

Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording.

If you plan to keep the camera connected while recording, remove the battery instead.

Let the camera run off the external power source.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the reply but as I said in my initial post

The camera is turned on, but is not recording 

If I remove the battery the camera will not turn on.

Highlighted
Hiker

You are correct, the Max will not power up without the battery in place, even when powered by USB.   However, my Max does charge when tuned on, plugged in, not recording.  When I start recording, the Max shows that it is *not* charging, but the charge remains stable.  I have recorded hours worth of hyperlapse with the camera on USB power.

Are you sure the motorcycle USB is working correctly?

Are you letting the screen timeout, or is it always on?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @lchapman99. How was your MAX connected to an external power source? I just tested a MAX camera and it powers on without the battery but connected to a power pack through the USB-C charging cable. 

Highlighted
Hiker

I just tried it again and it worked....powered on with no battery.  The screen showed a red No Battery indicator, but it's running.  It does seem to be a bit finiky about how long you press the power button when no battery is installed, and it's powered by USB.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the comments 

my camera is powered directly from the bike (usb replacing the normal bmw power socket). I have used this without problems for a GoPro session 4. But I am waiting for a usb tester to confirm the output (should be 5v 2.3amps).

If the battery is removed I get nothing from the camera, but with the battery in the battery on the top right of the screen shows with a lightning symbol (the red led on the camera is off). Leaving the camera on (not recording) the battery charge slowly drops.

Highlighted
Nomad

Sounds like your USB output is too low.  With the older camera it may work just fine but then again, the power requirements weren't that high.  The Max may indeed charge off your USB socket, but at a much much slower rate and will not power on without a battery due to too low a power output.