Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Charging/powering GoPro Max on motorcycle

[ New ]

I am attempting to power a GoPro max from the USB port (5v 2.3amp) on my motorcycle.

The dmax display indicates that it is charging but the power level drops.

The camera is turned on but is not recording.

If I remove the battery the camera will not turn on.

I have used the same connections to charge/power a session 4 without any problems.

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Charging/powering GoPro Max on motorcycle

[ New ]

Ok, all now resolved 

USB was faulty and it appears that the 6v was the issue with the camera 

I contacted Nippy Norman's and they confirmed that the voltage should not be >5.25v

NN have replaced the dual USB and now everything is working 

gopro max is working directly from the usb without a battery 

😁

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @gromitt

Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording.

If you plan to keep the camera connected while recording, remove the battery instead.

Let the camera run off the external power source.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the reply but as I said in my initial post

The camera is turned on, but is not recording 

If I remove the battery the camera will not turn on.

Hiker

[ New ]

You are correct, the Max will not power up without the battery in place, even when powered by USB.   However, my Max does charge when tuned on, plugged in, not recording.  When I start recording, the Max shows that it is *not* charging, but the charge remains stable.  I have recorded hours worth of hyperlapse with the camera on USB power.

Are you sure the motorcycle USB is working correctly?

Are you letting the screen timeout, or is it always on?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @lchapman99. How was your MAX connected to an external power source? I just tested a MAX camera and it powers on without the battery but connected to a power pack through the USB-C charging cable. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I just tried it again and it worked....powered on with no battery.  The screen showed a red No Battery indicator, but it's running.  It does seem to be a bit finiky about how long you press the power button when no battery is installed, and it's powered by USB.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the comments 

my camera is powered directly from the bike (usb replacing the normal bmw power socket). I have used this without problems for a GoPro session 4. But I am waiting for a usb tester to confirm the output (should be 5v 2.3amps).

If the battery is removed I get nothing from the camera, but with the battery in the battery on the top right of the screen shows with a lightning symbol (the red led on the camera is off). Leaving the camera on (not recording) the battery charge slowly drops.

Nomad

[ New ]

Sounds like your USB output is too low.  With the older camera it may work just fine but then again, the power requirements weren't that high.  The Max may indeed charge off your USB socket, but at a much much slower rate and will not power on without a battery due to too low a power output.  

Hiker

[ New ]

That was my thought

does anybody know what power output (input) is required to power/charge the max. I can't seem to find it in the manual.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @gromitt. You may refer to this article for details on recommended chargers. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, more details...

checking the output from the bike.

voltmeter between the bike usb and the camera

output 6v 0amps, this appears to indicate that the camera is not pulling any current.

Is it possible that the camera is not pulling any current as the 6v presents a risk.

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, all now resolved 

USB was faulty and it appears that the 6v was the issue with the camera 

I contacted Nippy Norman's and they confirmed that the voltage should not be >5.25v

NN have replaced the dual USB and now everything is working 

gopro max is working directly from the usb without a battery 

😁

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi guys,

i want to do the same on my GSXR K5 will this item work with my usb cable that came with the max

MICTUNING SAE to USB Cable Adapter SAE Quick Disconnect: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

any help would be great