Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Charging go pro 8 black

Hi,

im using my go pro as a streaming camera as we have a robins nest with eggs in our greenhouse.

ive been using a usb battery pack to run it but it's not keeping the internal battery charged.  It stays at 3% charge but uses the external pack.

any suggestions as to why?  

we have no power in the greenhouse so can't plug it in anywhere.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Charging go pro 8 black

It's not a good idea to stream and charge at the same time, the camera will get very overheated.
(The reason why it's using external is that it's the optimum power source, or the battery can't be sensed).

I'd recommend only using the manufactured GoPro battery (if you're using something different) this could potentially damage sensitive charge ports of the camera as well.

Here's some options that might help your battery:
Turn the go pro completely off and charge it with the original GoPro battery inside. If this doesn't work, there could be an issue with the battery.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @1974conor. Please note that the battery does not get charged when the camera is recording, even when the camera is connected directly to a power source/outlet. The charging resumes when the recording is stopped. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,  Had a name change as i dont know where the original name came from!

Ive taken the battery out and just plugged in the powerbank.

Hopefull that will do.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

It should work, @1974conor. Just make sure the connection is not interrupted so the recording is continued. Removing the battery especially for extended recordings is seen as beneficial as it allows more space for heat to dissipate while the camera is in operation. Make sure that the setup is protected from water or dirt as the charging port will be exposed. 

Highlighted
Hiker

I assume this is applied to Livestream as well even though it's not "recording" correct?
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @jarrydj82674

Yes, you should be able to do a live stream with the battery out of the camera.

Thanks!
Ej