Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Chaptering settings

[ New ]

I understand perfectly how chaptering works and why it is done. However, I noticed that my Hero 7 recorded two ~15-minute sessions each in single files but my Hero 9 did the chaptering. They're both set to the same type of recording in terms of resolution and frame rate.

Is there a setting I have on the Hero 7 that I can use also on the Hero 9 to allow for longer recording files on the 9?

What am I missing?

Any insight into this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

GoPro

Re: Chaptering settings

[ New ]

Hi @teslatino

Chapters are determined by the file size.

Check out GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
I am aware of that. Thank you. But my issue is that on both cameras (Hero 7 and 9) the settings are the same and the length is the same, so I don't understand why the 7 saved both videos in a single clip each, but the 9 sliced them into multiple chapters. Adding them up is pretty much the same size. With that being said, how come the 9 didn't save single files but the 7 could?
Nomad

[ New ]

There could be differences in bit rate which would account for file size, the 9 may have recorded the file as HEVC while the 7 didn't.  Instead of looking at the setting and length, right click on the file, select properties and look at the file size.

Hiker

[ New ]
That's what I meant when I said "Adding them up is pretty much the same size." I was talking about file sizes. They're pretty much identical.
Nomad

[ New ]

Files chapter at 4GB.  If your GoPro Hero 7 is recording longer timewise but not creating chapters, then it's using a different container (h264 vs h265) and possibly a different bit rate.