Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Cant connect my Gopro Hero 9 black to either gopro app or quik desktop app

[ New ]

Hi There,

Since i purchased my Gopro hero 9 black i cant connect it to the gopro mobile app or quik windows desktop app. Can you tell me what is the problem. I applied all the fixes recommended on your website. Nothing works.

IMG_0925.PNG
GoPro

Re: Cant connect my Gopro Hero 9 black to either gopro app or quik desktop app

[ New ]

Hi @deepanshd

For the desktop app, please make sure that the USB connection setting on the camera is set to MTP Transfer.

Check out Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port

Regrading the GoPro app connection, what error message are you getting when trying to pair the camera?

Try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network.  Send the app to the background and manually connect to the camera from your phone’s WiFi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then tapping the Info button on the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Did you ever get yours to connect? I'm having the same issue. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@carolineh0373, @deepanshd, in addition to the suggestions above, if using an iOS device, please make sure that the Local Network setting for the GoPro App is enabled. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Local Network.

I have a few troubleshooting suggestions that will help: 

1. Restart your mobile device. 
  2. Once your phone is back on, turn on/off the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. 
  3. Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings. 
  4. Remove your camera entry from the GoPro App's history. 
    • Android: Open GoPro App. Press and hold the image of the camera and delete the entry from your camera history. 
    • iOS: Open GoPro App. Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history. 
  5. Clear the cache for the GoPro app in your device's settings under the "Applications" section. 
  6. Kill the app and relaunch it. 
  7. On your GoPro camera, turn the Wi-Fi off and on. Then restart the camera. 
  8. Now, put the camera in pairing mode. 
  9. Open the GoPro App on your phone and tap the camera icon. The app will try to connect via Bluetooth and take you through the pairing process. Follow the on-screen instructions in the app. 
    • Note: Some phones and regions require the camera to be in a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band, you may also try this out. 
  10. For future reconnections, just make sure that the camera’s Wi-Fi is on and you’ll be all set. 
Hiker

[ New ]

Any luck yet? I just got my camera yesterday and cannot connect to app or Quik either. My Hero 7 Black, no issue. I get connection successful on camera but the phpne says we can't connect to your gopro. Are you in SG? I got mine from Changi airport on the 24th of Sept and now in Brunei. I feel I have a dead camera. Cannot even see a wifi from Android, iPhone or Mac.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bruisernl

If you have gone through the suggested steps and it's still the same, please let our Support Team know.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual.

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bruisernl

If you have gone through the suggested steps and it's still the same, please let our Support Team know.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual.

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Hello and thanks for the reply. Still no luck and I have just updated to a newly released GoPro app on Android. Still the same. I swear my camera cannot send/broadcast wifi. I have already contacted GoPro and was told first they heard of it. I call a lie on that part. Time to step up and admit some cameras are not 100%. I have wasted 4 days now messing with this. As soon as I place my camera in pairing mode, not a single wifi device can see any said from GoPro. As soon as I put my Hero 7 in pairing mode, all devices see it. Many suggest I try manual pairing but how does one pair to a wifi signal that is not present or at least cannot be seen. If I could return this I would. Without question. My 4th gopro and first with such issue. Still cannot connect to my Mac with USB C either.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bruisernl

Sorry for any trouble caused.

We see that a case has been opened with our Support Team and is currently being looked at.

Support will be getting back to you once an update has been made.

Please continue working with them regarding your concerns.

We'll also post here if we get additional information regarding the camera connection.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi GoPro Team,

i am coming back to you after trying every sguession by you or available on the internet. Now here is the thing-

1. GoPro hero 9 black doesn't connect to the app, tried both from iOS and Android. Tried all the ways possible.

2. How to select manually when you see nothing in the available devices ?

3. Your cameras are good but your software part is pretty bad. It annoys me everytime i connect or try to connect per se. 

4. Your tech support has same answers to all the questions, i mean come on guys do something better.

5. Folks who are facing can sum up their issues, i am planning to create a small video and will make sure it reaches gopro, they cant just charge us for cameras and sit back even their devices arent working properly.

Hiker

[ New ]
They really have the same copy and paste response to everything. I am so frustrated by this. By the way, where did you get your camera from? Mine came from Singapore. Wonder if it could be a batch thing?
Tourist

[ New ]

I am from Singapore and mine came from the United States. The delivery was fast though. When we select our region and shop GoPro should be aware about the limitations, if any !

Hiker

[ New ]

Grabbed mine in transit through Changi connecting to Brunei. Not sure what to do now if the camera is defective. It sure seems to me as though it Cannot Send/Broadcast wifi. Not a single device sees this device when in pairig mode. My hero 7 will ping all wifi devices in the house as soon as I place it in pairing mode. There is no need to forget it in my wifi settings on my device as no device has ever seen it, ever. Frustrating when you spend an hour or two on with tech support and they treat you like a dummy. (Have you updated the app, did you restart the camera, forget it in the wifi settings, etc...) I just explained all of this to them, there is nothing to forget if it was never seen. I would feel a lot better if they say, "We see a lot of this and we are working on a fix. We will sort you out" but hate the "First we ever had this situation"

Tourist

[ New ]

I think they do have some issue with their devices or their softwares. GoPro's tech support is so lame, seems like a bot responding to all the threads with the same bull**bleep**. I paid for the subscription to use their cloud but boom, no connectivity at all. I have decided to throw the GoPro aside and use my iPhone for videos instead. I mean who swaps SD cards in the computer to copy the data in 2020. If you ask me i have no faith in such a dumb support team and i have no hope for my camera to connect to their shiity app. 

Hiker

[ New ]
I agree. I have tried my Hero 9 with the provided USB C to my Mac and if I select MTP as the protocol, It will see that something is connected but says 0 files on the card even though it has many. When I unplug I cannot turn the camera off normally as it hangs with shutting down forever with the spinning circle. I have had to pull the batt each time and on a couple occasions it set the date and time back to 2016 for some reason. Poor quality control. Part of me is hoping it's software, but not convinced anymore.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi GoPro,

Its been almost 3 weeks with the same issue. I have applied all the suggesions made by you, nothing works. Please give a proper solution to this rather than suggesting us to restart things and reset. Many people are facing the same problem. We need your help on this asap.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, I have the same issue see https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/Cannot-pair-GoPro-9-with-GoPro-App-on-iPhone-11... no help yet... :-(

iPhone 11 Pro iOS 14.0.1 English

GoPro iOS App v 7.1 (4135)

GoPro 9 Firmware 1.21

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @deepanshd

If you are still unable to connect your camera to your computer even after checking the USBC connection settings, please let our Support Team know.

@vobrn

Would you be able to share a screen recording while attempting to pair your camera with your phone using the instructions on the link you have shared?

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

@deepanshd @vobrn @bruisernl 

Sorry about that. Connectivity issues are rising with iOS 14... :( 

It seems like it is a lot of trials and errors with this now and we know it's not great / read it's real bad... :((

This worked for some users:

> Allow GoPro through the Local Network settings. On iPhone go to Settings > GoPro > enable Local Network (If enabled, disable and re-enable) go back to GoPro App, and try connecting again.

If you do manage to connect, do this:

> Open Settings app > then go to “Wi-Fi” > find your GoPro camera’s network > tap the "i" button next to the network > toggle the switch for “Private Address” to the Off position.

I don't see right away the Wifi of my Hero9, If I just turned on my HERO9 I won't see the HERO9 in Wifi manager - I have to be connected once with the GoPro app to be able to see it, otherwise it doesn't appear listed. 

My app says "Camera Found" but the Wifi isn't listed because the app and camera are connected via Bluetooth.

When I do "View Media" or display preview / Join / then I do see the HERO9 wifi in the wifi manager.

I did remove the camera and I'm doing the pairing again with both camera and app in pairing mode and it's working ok - I'm on iPhone x 14.0.1. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble :(

GoPro

[ New ]

@deepanshd @vobrn@bruisernl  

Sorry for all the trouble, if the work-around provided didn't help, know that we have an app update coming up 7.2 as well as a camera firmware update coming in October as well.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, i just have my Gopro 9 yesterday from Malaysia online store. Try to pair the device with my ipone app but wasn't successful too. i have been connecting my Gopro 5 all these while with no issue at all.

i have tried all the suggested troubleshooting but none of them help to resolve this problem.

please assist.

Tourist

[ New ]

Another here, just received mine and cannot connect to iphone, android phone, ipads. Cannot see wifi broadcast from the camera at any point. Like everyone hoping its not hardware and a drawn out process to get replaced..

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @vitallift7376 @csfoo

We have made some updates on this link

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Troubleshooting-GoPro-App-Connectivity-Issues/ta-p/392964

Please go over the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Unfortunately that latest set of ideas/troubleshooting steps hasn't helped. Since the device never transmits a wifi detectable on any device it seems a firmware update or a hardware replacement is needed. The configuration of the connection does not appear to be with sequence, stale information, it is to do with the step in pairing where bluetooth does the initial handshake successfully, pairs, thens hands off to begin wifi pairing that there being no wifi it fails.

I have iphone xr running latest revision. Removed all BT and reset app and done the various other recommendations. Bluetooth portion of the setup works, the wifi section fails. No wifi is ever visible on the phone, other phones, ipads and laptops at this time or any other time.

i have an LG G7 - same story even forgetting BT, clearing cache, delete reinstall etc. There is never a wifi "signal" being sent from the gopro that is detectable.

And finally i have a Xiaomi redmi note 4 (i was surprised to see the new addition at the bottom of the page) but alas, same story. Nothing.

Tourist

[ New ]

I replaced my gopro through the retailer. New one works immediately. I call hardware issue here. Bad luck on my first roll and so far seems better on the second.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, i have a same problem too. Mind to ask which retailer you buy from?

Hiker

[ New ]
I could not agree more. I believe it is without a doubt a hardware issue. I just sold mine to someone willing to accept with this issue, I plan to try another someday.
GoPro

[ New ]
@vitallift7376
Sorry about the trouble you had. Glad that the new one is working.
There's also a firmware issue currently that will be fixed very soon, so maybe you were running into this particular problem (-> App cannot pair if camera's wifi mac address ends with 00)
Hiker

[ New ]

Could anybody from GoPro (@haindash ?) confirm if these are HW issues or not? Multiple people having the same issue (new GoPro9 unable to broadcast WiFi).

Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi @vobrn

The connectivity issues we have seen are related to iOS14, there's also one fix that we fixed app side (7.2) as well as something that has been fixed firmware side, coming soon as well. Fixes are coming up + workarounds are provided in the meantime.
The first connection between app and camera is done via bluetooth so the camera doesn't activate its wifi at that point. It's only when I will choose View Media or Enable Preview on my HERO9 that the wifi does kick-in.
There are no known hardware issues. Maybe the particular problem that you have is this one > App cannot pair if camera's wifi mac address ends with 00.
And this will be fixed in the firmware update.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I don't think is because of iOS14. I tried both with ios 12 & 14. Can't work either. It seems is the hardware problem though.

Tourist

[ New ]

I purchased here locally in Australia. My regime of trials was Android 9, Android 10, Ios 14 (x2) and v12 and v14 ipad. After i got the new one, no other changes, they all work. I can also see the wifi from the camera on my laptops now.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @adeptexper40664. Were you getting any error message? It will help us identify what could be going on, and what could be causing the app and the phone to not connect. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I deleted the original GoPro App from my iPhone Xs and then reinstalled it from App Store where it was already in Cloud. After re-downloading it, it ran the original wizard and found the Hero 9. The iPhone GoPro App connected to the Hero 9 and performed the update that it was originally barking about! and is working perfectly now!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, I have the same problem. I use iPhone 6 iOS 12.4.8. Camera pairs by bluetooth and when I want to turn on preview it does not see and can not connect to wifi... guys come on, it is one of the the core function. Any new ideas? Please confirm whether it is related to hardware and if yes, when exactly will be fixed by patch/update? It is a simple situation to check and hundreds of users have the same problem. Please respect us and be honest with our community.

Regards,

Kamil

Sightseer

[ New ]

What it is interesting, that 3 days ago it was working fine, I've not changed a thing. I tried resets, solutions mentioned by the users etc., nothing works. What happened?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ok, several camera hard resets fixed it. For a now.

Regards

Tourist

[ New ]

What would be really helpful ti differentiate the issues is

1. Did it every work?

2. During any stage of the initial setup (seems when the bluetooth handshake happens and hands to setting up wi-fi), do you see the gopro wifi on the phone or another device?

3. If you manage to conect first time or reconnect what you did.

If indeed the gopro issue suggested of MAC address ending in 00 is an issue, we would at least expect to see the wifi signal unless the firmware prevents the wifi step from proceeding due to this address issue. Then a firmware fix may help.

But many people saying restart fixed it let us know if you worked previously and/or see the wifi being sent from the gopro when it is failing!

Tourist

[ New ]

I can't find my gopro wifi network from my Iphone X running ios 14, so cannot follow the steps from the troubleshooting.

i can connect my gopro through bluetooth.

try everything and it still show PAIRING FAILED

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @csfoo. If you haven't yet, perform the workarounds below, in order: 

1. Allow GoPro through the local network settings - > On iPhone go to Settings > GoPro > Enable Local Network (If enable, disable and re-enable) go back to GoPro App and try connecting again
  2. Reboot your iPhone - > Especially if you’ve just updated to the new iOS 14 it’s always a good idea to reboot your phone and try again
  3. Disable Mac address -> This is especially true if you see the “No internet connection” when trying to connect to your GoPro Camera - > Open Settings app > then go to “Wi-Fi” > Find your GoPro camera’s network > Tap the ‘I” button next to the network > Toggle the switch for “Private Address” to the Off position
  4. You can always Forget the Wi-Fi and try re-joining > To do this you may need to go into the back of your GoPro LCD and under “Camera Info” get your GoPro’s Wi-Fi password and manually enter it.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi, I have tried many times and it doesn’t help at all. I can’t see my GoPro wifi from my iPhone X
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @csfoo. Have you been able to change the Wi-Fi band on your phone? To do this, go to Connections > Wi-Fi Band > toggle to 2.4GHz if it is at 5GHz. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, tried that as well but can’t. It had been very frustrating with the new GoPro 9 when you can’t use it right away
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about that, @csfoo. We will pass this along to the team. In the meantime, you should still be able to use the camera on its own. We will keep this thread updated once we have new information. 

Tourist

[ New ]
What is the point to use the GoPro 9 when I cannot have the photos in my phone or laptop?
GoPro

[ New ]
@csfoo
Sorry about the trouble that you are experiencing. If none of the workarounds provided helped then know that a firmware update is coming up this month and it includes a fix for connectivity.

Here: https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates
GoPro

[ New ]
+ GoPro app will be updated as well so either way, a solution is on the way!
Tourist

[ New ]

I guess your not familiar with the process of removing the memory chip from the camera and slaving it to your computer whith a USB card reader . . .  where you can simply drag and drop; kinda like the original process that the whole world has been doing since the beginning of computersl.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes I am not. I am using MacBook Air which do not have a slot of that memory chip. So I bought a GoPro which I thought with the so-called advance feature I can easily transfer photos to my MacBook or iPhone.
Tourist

[ New ]
I used to have a GoPro hero 5 and everything seems fantastic and never thought of buying a latest version model seem stupid.