Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Cannot update Go Pro 7 Black

[ New ]

My Go Pro 7 Black currently has v01.51 installed, once I ran Go Pro app on my Samsung Galaxy S9+ I saw a notification about available update, so I agreed to update my camera by tapping "Update Camera" then there was some dialog appearing for a very small fraction of second so I could not read it, then another pop-up said

"Connection Lost: you are no longer connected to your camera's Wi-Fi network. Check the Wi-Fi settings on your camera and device."

Then, once I clicked "OK" - another dialog appeared saying:

"Possible Connection Issue: We can't connect your goPro due to a potential Wi-Fi issue".

What is interesting that I can connect to the camera from the same app to browse and download photos - that never fails...

I tried to perform an update multiple times - it consistnely doesn't work, I was only able to update my camera once - right after the purchase.

What should I do to update my camera?

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Cannot update Go Pro 7 Black

[ New ]
I believe if your phone isn't able to connect to a wi-fi network it will fail to do the update. Not sure if that was the case in these two instances, but I tried to do the update via the mobile app while outside away from my wifi network and if failed. Came into the house and it worked.

For whatever reason, manual updates seem to be less likely to have issues and bugs, so I always update this way (even if I updated wirelessly). It's also a good idea to do it manually as you can save a copy of the update file. This way, after future updates you can always go back if you want to.

For example, I like this update, but for some projects I will need the full Hypersmooth stabilization in low light (you can adjust shutter and ISO to get clean images). Having the old update file, I can bring it on a separate SD card. Once I get my shots on the new firmware, I can switch to the old firmware and get my low light full Hypersmooth shots that I need.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
Are you within range of your home Wi-Fi? If not, you should try when you are.

The best solution is to do a manual update https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black (select, "Update your camera Manually"). You'll need a USB/SD adapter and a computer.

Download the update to your computer
Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer
Insert your SD card and perform a FULL format
Copy the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) to the SD card
Eject the SD card
Insert the SD card into your camera and then press the side Mode/power button.
Wait for the Update to complete and a check mark to appear on the front LCD
Go into Preferences>Reset and format the SD card in the camera
Tourist

[ New ]

I've literally just came here looking for answer to the same problem! This must be an app issue/bug

Tourist

[ New ]

I've just had to download the update at work and done it manually, which worked

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi

Have you tried change WIFI settings in GP7. In connection settings you can switch your camer to WIFI in 5Ghz or 2,4 Ghz. Try change and repeat.

Hope will work.

Explorer

[ New ]
I believe if your phone isn't able to connect to a wi-fi network it will fail to do the update. Not sure if that was the case in these two instances, but I tried to do the update via the mobile app while outside away from my wifi network and if failed. Came into the house and it worked.

For whatever reason, manual updates seem to be less likely to have issues and bugs, so I always update this way (even if I updated wirelessly). It's also a good idea to do it manually as you can save a copy of the update file. This way, after future updates you can always go back if you want to.

For example, I like this update, but for some projects I will need the full Hypersmooth stabilization in low light (you can adjust shutter and ISO to get clean images). Having the old update file, I can bring it on a separate SD card. Once I get my shots on the new firmware, I can switch to the old firmware and get my low light full Hypersmooth shots that I need.
Nomad

[ New ]

Just attempted the via app update and had the same issue so I'd say it's definitely either a bug or possible intentional bug to force a manual update or via quik for desktop to try and ensure a clean udate is done, either way it's a poor user experience.  Updated mine via quik, but yet to take a look to see if there are any improvements.

Tourist

[ New ]
Daniel, I was in the house this morning updating as soon as it swapped to my home WiFi it came up with the error...
Explorer

[ New ]
Hmm, not sure then.

I guess we'll be seeing more people coming here. Glad the manual update worked for you.
Hiker

[ New ]

Updated yesterday with my iPad Air 2, no problem.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Best advice video tape it so we can see the issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I took a video.

https://youtu.be/CXeLZIFiHYg

Receive error message "Possible connection issue: We can't connect to your GoPro due to a potential Wi-Fi issue".This happens on home Wi-Fi (both 2.4 and 5 G...
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing @crai6m4ck,

Please try to update it manually for now. 

We'll check if this is on the app. 

Regards,

-Jay