Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Cannot import videos - unsupported file type/unable to get metadata

I am unable to import some videos from my Hero 4 Session. Most videos import into Photos on my MacBook Pro OK, but 5 do not. The errors I get are shown in the screenshot below.

The SD Card I am using is a SanDisk Extreme 64GB micro SD XC 1. The same as the one shown here on the GoPro shop.

Is there anything I can do to rescue these videos?

Screenshot 2017-08-28 20.14.16.png

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Cannot import videos - unsupported file type/unable to get metadata

the filefolder gopro creates and stores files are .MP4 containers.  the additional file for smartphone playback is LRV  files. only matching video resolution and frame rate will playback on the snartphone.

The camera itself will play back hte files that are originally on thegopro, that the member should be doing and seeing.   you're saying the   video he or she just shot and showed here will not play back because its MP4???

hte funny thing is Before we format  he orshe should at least try all their options ,   

some things to try:

• playback off camera
  • playback off camera and HDMI to tv
  • playback off smartphone via wifi
  • transfer via camera to puter
  • transfer via card slot to card reader
  • try another Mac
  •  tru a WIndows PC
  • try a data recovery  repair tool
  •  try replicating new files

after all attempts then chaulk up to lost footage and move forward.  if this is a card related it can simply be camera should have repaired the files. it did not and the transfer got currupted. things happen and i we have to accept it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

It appears that those files are possibly corrupt and did not close properly. There might be an issue with the card, not the type but that specific card you are using. You should try formatting the card in your computer (sadly you will lose these files though) and try doing some test shots and see if you get the same errors.

Also, if you have access to another SD card it will be helpful to see if the same issue happens with it.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Are they playable in the camera before you start formatting

Highlighted
Explorer

i don't believe the camera plays the mp4. I think it uses the lvr file for playback so playing the file on the camera doesn't really tell you anything.
Highlighted
Adventurer

the filefolder gopro creates and stores files are .MP4 containers.  the additional file for smartphone playback is LRV  files. only matching video resolution and frame rate will playback on the snartphone.

The camera itself will play back hte files that are originally on thegopro, that the member should be doing and seeing.   you're saying the   video he or she just shot and showed here will not play back because its MP4???

hte funny thing is Before we format  he orshe should at least try all their options ,   

some things to try:

• playback off camera
  • playback off camera and HDMI to tv
  • playback off smartphone via wifi
  • transfer via camera to puter
  • transfer via card slot to card reader
  • try another Mac
  •  tru a WIndows PC
  • try a data recovery  repair tool
  •  try replicating new files

after all attempts then chaulk up to lost footage and move forward.  if this is a card related it can simply be camera should have repaired the files. it did not and the transfer got currupted. things happen and i we have to accept it.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks for all your quick replies, I appreciate that.

I will try a few of the tests suggested above and see how it goes.
Highlighted
Hiker

I agree with “fishycomics” that first, you should try to transfer the files using a different card reader /cable. You can also try to transfer these files to a different computer also. If still the same message is displayed, that means the files are corrupt and there can be no other means to repair your videos without the use of a third party video repair software to repair corrupt Mp4 videos.
Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

@toughpanda wrote:
I agree with “fishycomics” that first, you should try to transfer the files using a different card reader /cable. You can also try to transfer these files to a different computer also. If still the same message is displayed, that means the files are corrupt and there can be no other means to repair your videos without the use of a third party video repair software to repair corrupt Mp4 videos.

@toughpanda   when we load off the cam alone no Lrv files.  If we take out the sd card then the lrv are there s othey are hidden,  to top it off if the files are currupted like @danielr15 said so will be hte Lrv.   the first thin gI  try was to playback  from the camera why  it is on there i if it works then, the   @heromandave has a problem.

HE needs to   do what was said or  come back and tell us he solved it.    Agree use another method for sure to rule things out.

We all will need to wait for the op

z................. 3 weeks later no reply from them..   

FISH