Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Cannot get videos off of Camera

I just came back with tons of footage on my new GoPro Session and I cannot seem to get it on my computer. I've done the following:

1. Downloaded GoPro desktop app and plugged in camera thru USB and SD card reader and both routes tell me there is nothing to import.

2. I have looked that there is indeed footage on the camera and it shows up when I connect to my mobile app. 

3. I have also tried just plugging in my card reader and opening all the folders and the footage and images are there but all folders says zero bytes.

I know there is footage on the camera because I have watched it through my mobile app, but it seems I cannot get it off on my computer because it's acting like it doesn't exist.

Help! This is my honeymoon footage and I would be so upset if it was lost somehow.

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Cannot get videos off of Camera

Sorry to hear that you are having issues. If you are able to recover the files, throw out that card after you are done.  Using cheap SD cards is never a good idea, especially when capturing important moments. 

Please see this list for better options https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

64GB cards tend to be the most reliable.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

If you are able to view the files using a USB/SD adapter, then you should be able to just copy/paste the files into your computer. What OS are you using and what program are you using to view the files?

The camera creates mp4 and lvr files when recording video along with thm files for photos and videos. The lvr files are Low Video Resolution files for viewing the videos on your mobile device. The thm files are for creating thumbnails. You only want the mp4 videos for your computer (and jpg if you took photos).
Tourist

I am using OS El Capitan on my computer. I was using the my flash drive to pull up the files but all of the mp4 files were empty and could not be opened in Quicktime.

Explorer

You might want to try VLC Media player and/or uploading the done directly to Vimeo or YouTube and seeing if it will play. If it will play from VLC or from a web media service, then the issue is with the codecs on your machine.
Tourist

I downloaded VLC and that can't seem to open it either. The folders show up like the below when I try to open them off my sd card reader.

And when I try to plug in the go pro on my computer, the following message pops up (attached)

I am so frustrated because the files can be viewed on my phone, but then I can't seem to get them off the go pro to actually edit them in HD. This is a brand new go pro and my first time using it- It shouldn't be this complicated to get files off of it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 11.49.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 11.54.04 AM.png
GoPro

Hi @nicedawn44864,

May I know the video resolution of your files? 

Thanks,

-Jay 

Tourist

I believe it's 1080

GoPro

Hi @nicedawn44864

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

To isolate the issue further, what SD card are you using?

Also see if your able to access the files directly on your computer. (File Finder not via Quik for Desktop).

Are you able to test it on a different computer?

Thanks!

Ej