Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Cannot Import HEVC to iPad Pro 12”

Hello,

I encountered the same problem. Especially with 4:3 videos, as they are in HEVC already for lower resolutions and frame rates.

I am using a Ipad pro 10.5 inch (2017, so 2nd generation i guess).

What is interesting, is that for very short videos in 2.7k60fps4:3 (which is in HEVC according to gopro) it seems to work via the wireless transfer. Only for longer, and hence larger, videos it does not work and stops because of time out failure.

So from my experience, in general it seems possible to transfer those videos to an Ipad, but if its too big it fails.

Highlighted
Hiker

It's an Ipad thing. Apple have decided that certain I-devices have specific limitations and have put a block on anything higher being copied into the system folders or imported through the lighting connector.

I have an Ipad Mini 4 and ios block any 4k video and even 1080 100fps. I have a WD My Passport Pro which backs up the SD card and let's me connect with the My Cloud app over WiFi and download files into a My Cloud folder. I can also import it straight from the drive into my editor.

I'm using Lumifusion which I think is definitely one of the best mobile editors, if not the best. It's £20 which might be pricey for an app but this isn't an app. It's a fully fledged keyframable multi track NLE.

So far It's been able to take everything I've thrown at it including whacking a stack of effects on the clips any it's hardly raised a sweat.

There's also a lightning USB card reader that works with an app to allow you to import directly from the card but I haven't tested that yet.
Highlighted
Tourist

The same issue with iPad Pro 12.9 :(
But no problems with import of HEVC to iPhone X
Highlighted
Tourist

Same issue even with the 3rd generation Ipad!!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @loyalstoke88134 @snowywave7337

How are you trying to transfer the files?

See if changing the settings on your Photos/Camera app will work.

Settings> Camera> Format> High Efficiency

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Of course it doesn´t work! HOW CAN GOPRO NOT KNOW THAT YOUR PRODUCT IS NOT FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH IPAD PRO???? I mean come on GoPro.. get better. Ever since I bought the Hero7 it has been frustration after frustraition every day. Every software you make is completly useless, everything is so slow and dificult and full of problems.... And than, when you come to a forum in search of an official answer, you find something like "oh, have you tryed updating your software?" followed by 500 costummers saying they are having the exact same problem! I´m so full of this BS

Highlighted
Sightseer

I agree. The GoPro site clearly says that HEVC files will work on the iPad Pro. I just purchaed a Hero 7 and it doesn't work with my iPad Pro either. It plays the video really well, but it won't let me share or transfer to an editing program. Ironically, I was able to get to work a little bit on an older Macobok Pro from 2015, but the video wasn't very smooth on playback. Has anyone found a solution to getting around this problem? Is GoPro working on a fix? 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @boligas and @agilebluff52510. Thank you for the feedback. We have reported this matter to the team. We will keep you posted once we hear back from them. In the meantime, please see if the suggested steps by other members on this thread will help.