Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Can you disable formatting option on the camera

Hello, and sorry if this is covered somewhere else, I couldn't find it. Is there a way to disable the ability to reformat your SD card in the camera through the menu option on Hero 7 Silver? I ask because we just finished up a day at a lagoon in Hawaii with sea turtles with the kids and I place the GoPro in my cargo pocket of my swim shorts while carrying my son back to the car and the damp shorts had activated the menu options on the touchscreen and somehow found its way to reformat and I lost everything. It sucks even more because when it's reformatted on the camera, it writes over the data with stupid version text files and a readme, so NOTHING is recoverable.

It was in my pocket for 45 seconds and I heard a beep (which I disabled) then pulled it out and it was on the format menu screen. Closed that thinking. Phew that was close. Swiped up to view a few videos and got "no media". Worst case scenario.

So is there a way to disable this option? Or make it cargo pocket proof?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Can you disable formatting option on the camera

Hi @tacoman48,

No, there is no way to disable format or hide it. 

-Jay

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

if the card got formatted, and you did not  record anything. take the card out, and get a recovery program to retrieve  your  footage, as long as you didnot over write anything you will be able to recover.. to prevent thecamera from going on Use the screen lock,  sorry that the footage is lost and not recoverable,

Highlighted
Tourist

Yeah unfortunately when the GoPro formatted the card, it wrote over it with some text files and read me documentation. And I was aware of the screen lock, but my shorts made it all the way to reformat, so I wouldn't be surprised if they unlocked the screen to. I was just wondering if there was an actual lock for formatting or never allow or something like that. Thanks!
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @tacoman48,

No, there is no way to disable format or hide it. 

-Jay